What I Talk About When I Talk About Running…

What I Talk About When I Talk About Running (Vintage International) (original 2007; edition 2009)

by Haruki Murakami

Member:laurelei
Title:What I Talk About When I Talk About Running (Vintage International)
Authors:Haruki Murakami
Info:Vintage (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 192 pages

What I Talk About When I Talk About Running: A Memoir by Haruki Murakami (2007)

Haruki Murakami and the Music of Words by Jay Rubin (Jannes)
    Jannes: If you want to know more about Murakami as a person you can either go to his own essay-style semi-biography, or you can try Rubin's more systematic and academic approach. Both are worthy of your time.
    The Rider by Tim Krabbé (gust)
    gust: Krabbé heeft het over wielrennen. Ook autobografisch, maar literair beter uitgewerkt dan Murakami.
    Born to run: the hidden tribe, the ultra-runners and the greatest race the world has never seen by Christopher McDougall (DeDeNoel)
    DeDeNoel: One of the best books ever about running. Murakami's book and this totally inspired me to become a runner.
    Once a Runner by John L. Parker (ostgut)
    Bench Press by Sven Lindqvist (prezzey)
    prezzey: Writers talk about the place of sports in their lives. I personally prefer Bench Press, but if you're interested in the topic, both are worth reading.
    Flow im Sport by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi (JuliaMaria)
    No Time to Spare: Thinking About What Matters by Ursula K. Le Guin (andomck)
    De halve van Egmond by Bram Bakker (edwinbcn)
    Runningtherapie / druk 1: het standaardwerk voor lopers en professionals by B. Bakker (edwinbcn)

English (111)  Spanish (10)  Dutch (6)  Catalan (4)  French (3)  Swedish (2)  Italian (2)  German (2)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (144)
A little rambling and meandering, sometimes repetitive, but overall very enjoyable to read. It just felt like a series of casual conversations about running and writing with an interesting person I admire. An appropriate thing to read while preparing for a race (though mine is much shorter than Murakami's).
  thishannah | Jul 17, 2018 |
This was an incredibly honest, heartfelt and inspirational book. As he said: “What’s most important is what you can’t see but can feel with your heart”. I so appreciate these authors reminding us exactly what it means to be human. ( )
  joyfulmimi | Jun 3, 2018 |
4.5 Stars ( )
  kammbiamh | Mar 25, 2018 |
I'm not sure how to rate this book. It's easy to read, gives a glimpse into the author's inner life, but no revelation or deep insights gained. ( )
  yamiyoghurt | Jan 29, 2018 |
a personal memoir that is inspiring and motivational for every runner and triathlete. ( )
  aborham | Nov 26, 2017 |
[Y]ou need be neither runner nor writer to find resonance in this slender but lucid meditation.

So what does he think about while running? The disappointing answer is not much apart from the rhythms of feet on tarmac and blood pumping round the body.

It is not just these perversely impressive physical feats that sharpen what might otherwise be a dull treatise on a healthful habit; Mr. Murakami's work has always combined the ordinary and the extraordinary, and this memoir is no exception.

To characterize it as briefly as possible: easy on ear and mind alike, it’s the type of prose I would call sort of pretty poor. Running is “sort of a vague theme” (i.e., not just vague but vaguely vague), and the book is “a kind of memoir.” Murakami sort of likes this kind of thing, not just as an indistinct modifier but as a form of category-definition. He’s the “type of person,” “kind of person” — I lost track of the number of times this came up — who likes “sort of laid-back” music and is “sort of a brazen person” who sometimes has “a sort of arrogant attitude.”
added by dcozy | editNew York Times, Geoff Dyer (Aug 10, 2008)

When I closed the book, I found myself fantasising not about athletic feats, but that more readily available satisfaction that Murakami evokes so tellingly: the stinging joy of a very, very cold beer.

Murakami, Harukiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gabriel, PhilipTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I'm on Kauai, in Hawaii, today, Friday, August 5, 2005. It's unbelievably clear and sunny, not a cloud in the sky.

An intimate look at writing, running, and the incredible way they intersect, from the incomparable, bestselling author Haruki Murakami.While simply training for New York City Marathon would be enough for most people, Haruki Murakami's decided to write about it as well. The result is a beautiful memoir about his intertwined obsessions with running and writing, full of vivid memories and insights, including the eureka moment when he decided to become a writer. By turns funny and sobering, playful and philosophical, What I Talk About When I Talk About Running is rich and revelatory, both for fans of this masterful yet guardedly private writer and for the exploding population of athletes who find similar satisfaction in athletic pursuit.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:35 -0400)

An intimate look at writing, running, and the incredible way they intersect, from the incomparable, bestselling author Haruki Murakami. --publisher.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,855,201 books! | Top bar: Always visible