Cold Quarry by Andy Straka

Cold Quarry

by Andy Straka

This is what, the fourth Frank Pavlicek mystery I have read, and I am starting to yawn. I think perhaps Andy Straka just doesn't have what it takes to bring Frank to life. I am particularly irritated by the limping relationship between Frank and his daughter Nicole. His pontificating about her sex life, and her willingness to put up with it remind me that these books have an underlying Christian vibe that I don't like. Too faint to make this a "Christian" book, but too strong to be anything but deliberate. Kind of creepy, especially as Frank likes the occasional bedroom tumble, but pushes his daughter to wait till marriage. Double standard much?

I received a review copy of "A Cold Quarry: A Frank Pavlicek Mystery" by Andy Straka (Brash) through NetGalley.com. It was originally published in 2003 by Signet. ( )
  Dokfintong | Nov 29, 2015 |
In the skies over West Virginia, an invisible predator hunts its prey. When friend and master falconer Chester Carew is found dead in the woods, private investigator Frank Pavlicek doesn’t buy the official report of an accidental shooting. The trail leads to a shadowy group of domestic terrorists—and to Frank’s former NYPD partner, Jake Toronto, who is accused of being involved with their plot. To prove Jake’s innocence, Frank will have to trap the real killers before they can carry out their terrifying agenda. ( )
  andystraka | Feb 6, 2012 |
I have received a complimentary copy of the book in exchange for your review from the author Andy Straka.
This book took me three hours to read on my digital download program. Although I do many book reviews I don’t do many in digital format. I was excited to read this book due to the investigative and mystery settings of this book. There is a “spoil Alert” in this review as it was well worth doing the review and a book I could not put down. If you are into investigation, mystery type books this book will take you all the way through an investigation that the ending will shock you into reality. What I especially liked about this book is the history that the author had done because of his mentioning things like 9-1-1, Oklahoma bombing and Hitler with his pigeons as trained messengers.
Betty and Chester Carew married thirty years and adopted one son named Jason who in the story is eight years old. Chester is a retired chemical engineer. Chester owns a special type of foundry Hawk that he takes on his hunting on the property he owns. Chester has a huge love of animals but especially his bird (ELO).
One day when Betty did not hear back from Chester for a known doctor appointment she called Frank Pavlicek to investigate. As Frank knows the hunting areas of Chester, he heads up to through the woods to get any clues and as he was searching for clues, a masked man tried to kill him. Frank manages to escape and the man runs free.
As the story unfolds three people are found dead and the mystery continues to shock you until the very end.
Written by Jackie Paulson © 2012

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3SOLCQPXCX243/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm ( )
  jackie1966 | Jan 14, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451208439, Mass Market Paperback)

In this suspense-filled, award-winning thriller, master falconer Chester Carew is found shot to death in the woods, the apparent victim of a deer hunter's errant round. But private investigator Frank Pavlicek smells something far more deadly than a simple hunting accident. Something is contaminating the surrounding woods--something neither the local authorities nor the Feds seem willing to discuss. Things go from bad to worse when Frank's best friend and fellow falconer Jake Toronto appears to be implicated in the murder. Seeking justice for one friend and exoneration for another, Pavlicek threatens to uncover a group of domestic terrorists with a chilling agenda.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:55 -0400)

When master falconer Chester Carew is found dead in the woods, private investigator Frank Pavlicek doesn't buy the official report of an accidental shooting. Hunting for clues, Frank stumbles across evidence of a toxic agent contaminating the area - something the authorities refuse to discuss. The trail leads to a shadowy group of domestic terrorists - and to Frank's former NYPD partner, Jake Toronto, who is accused of being involved with their plot.… (more)

Andy Straka is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,934,222 books! | Top bar: Always visible