The Judge by Steve Martini

The Judge (1995)

by Steve Martini

My kind of fast-paced, action-packed legal thriller. It's old era Grisham meets old era Turrow.
. . .I suppose that says it all. ( )
  CatEllington | May 5, 2017 |
A solid effort by Martini. Paul Madriani working WITH Acosta, his nemesis, didn't exactly ring true with me. Very little conflict in getting there - almost a fait accompli. Plus the idea of disturbing a potential crime scene (as an officer of the court) was ludicrous. Other than that, it was typical Martini --- good surprise ending, but not so good as Undue Influence.
  AliceAnna | Oct 21, 2014 |
When Judge Acosta is caught with a hooker, few are sympathetic. It seems to be a setup, though, and when the girl is brutally killed and Acosta charged, defence lawyer Madriani begins the most complex murder trial of his career, uncovering ugly lies, deceit and corruption. ( )
  Lynngood | Jul 4, 2010 |
I wanted Madriani to fail in a way because Acosta was so unlikable. He wasn’t the only one though. The district Attorney whose name escapes me, was also an asshole. When he fired Lenore for no reason, she shouldn’t have gone to the victim’s apartment. What she did there, affected Paul’s case for the worse. She took a note off the victim’s calendar that if it were left alone, might have shed some doubt on whether Acosta was the last one to see her alive or not. Also, she left a thumbprint on the doorframe that couldn’t easily be explained.

There were unexpected things – like when the cops sent a guy disguised as a cable guy into Paul’s house to plant drugs and the horrific scene that ensued when the rest of the cops barged in and then found nothing. They beat the hell out of Paul and Lenore before the ‘beat cops’ showed up and broke things up. The DA claimed he knew nothing.

There were predictable elements, too. Like when the victim’s now orphaned child was in court ‘feeding’ her teddy bear buttons and other small things. I knew that there was some important evidence in that bear. Probably the piece of jewelry that left the gash in the coffee table. And of course, it was. Paul and the DA figured it out at the same time.

The met in the court house after hours. Paul was there illegally but the DA wasn’t. They fought. There was a chase and Lenore, to whom Paul passed the initialed cufflink, threw an earring at the DA as a diversion. The DA killed the girl because – I can’t remember.
  Bookmarque | Jun 13, 2009 |
Wow, the first three reviews here on Librarything were a complete surprise! I read the book before looking at them. Thank goodness!

Present tense didn't bother me. I've read quite a few of Martini's courtroom thrillers so I was familiar with the characters. Can't say that I "care about" characters in anybody's book beyond their use to advance the story and plot. And Martini is a master at plotting and telling a suspenseful story. At least in my mystery lover's opinion.

The Judge is typical Martini. Legal wrangling with attorney Paul Madriani and his associate Harry Hinds seemingly behind the eight-ball right up to the last few pages. Then a clever deduction turns everything around, producing a big finish that exonerates Madriani's client. I've enjoyed them all. ( )
  etrainer | Jun 6, 2009 |
In memory of George Coleman
She is like a rose: tall and slender, with complexion of a dusky hue, eyes and teeth that flash, and a manner that at times produces its own barbed thorns.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0515119644, Mass Market Paperback)

When Judge Armando Acosta is charged with soliciting a prostitute, attorney Paul Madriani is less than sympathetic. Nevertheless, Madriani is forced to defend his old nemesis.

And when the policewoman who snared Acosta is brutally murdered, Madriani wonders if the judge is also the executioner.

The most explosive thriller yet by New York Times bestselling author Steve Martini -- The Judge.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:16 -0400)

Attorney Paul Madriani reluctantly takes on the case of Judge Armando "The Coconut" Acosta, an old enemy accused of soliciting prostitution in a police sting operation and of the murder of the policewoman set to testify against him.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,414,187 books! | Top bar: Always visible