Nick of Time by Ted Bell

Nick of Time

by Ted Bell

Okay, let me explain my review of this book. I feel like I am always giving 4 and 5 stars to everything, so I've decided to try to be more objective in my ratings. But I needed 3 3/4 stars for this one. 3 stars means I liked it, and I thoroughly did--it was fun! So thank you, Jera, for lending this to me--and by the way, you have excellent taste in books, so I meant no offence. :)

This book was a lot of fun because it had a sort of taste of Treasure Island to it--there were a lot of fun parallels to that book, which I also enjoyed, but that's another story. Literally. Anyway, I loved the fun adventures going on throughout the book and the mysteries involved. And the history. I thought it would be a perfect book for my boys when they get older. My only complaints were that there were a some unanswered questions (there's time travel in the story, which always presents a few), but then again, they could be resolved in the sequel, which I _haven't_ read. Also, the author seemed to jump inside of anyone's brain he wanted to. That's not necessarily a bad thing--I just prefer first person or third person from one or two points of view. Other than that--really fun, perfectly enjoyable, and a light, quick read. ( )
  jessibelle34 | Jul 14, 2013 |
This is an odd sort of story. I thought all through it that I was reading a book intended for an adult audience with a teenaged protagonist. I really felt like this was just a story that will cater best to fans of Ted Bell's other books rather than the average teen book reader. ( )
  matthewbloome | May 19, 2013 |
Exciting for a junior reader; predictable for an adult. Life in the time of Nazis in Britain. Contains some history not usually found, in regard to Churchill's "spies" prior to his service as Prime Minister during WWII. ( )
  librisissimo | Feb 21, 2013 |
BL 6.3
pts 19
QN 123308
  kellyrobles | Jul 12, 2012 |
I liked the time period, WWII in Britain, as well as the Napoleonic wars in the 19th century, but as much as I liked the characters, I never really got into the story. So, a little lack-luster. Then again, it might be more geared for 11-14 year old boys.... Some books are ageless, while some, though readable at most any age, definitely feel as if they were written with a very specific audience in mind, usually to the detraction of the story. ( )
  MissClark | Jan 19, 2012 |

Nick of Time is the first young reader's book written by bestselling author Ted Bell.

In the grand tradition of epic novels like Robert Louis Stevenson’s Treasure Island comes a wondrous tale of time travel, adventure, and riches, in which twelve-year-old Nick McIver sets out to become “the hero of his own life.”

The setting is England, 1939, on the eve of war. Nick and his younger sister, Kate, live in a lighthouse on the smallest of the Channel Islands. Nick and Kate come to the aid of their father who is engaged in a desperate war of espionage with German U-boat wolf packs that are circling the islands. The information they provide to Winston Churchill is vital as he tries to warn England of the imminent Nazi invasion.

One day Nick discovers an old sea chest, left for him by his ancestor, Captain Nicholas McIver of the Royal Navy. Inside, he finds a time machine and a desperate plea for help from the captain. He uses the machine to return to the year 1805. Captain McIver and, indeed, Admiral Nelson’s entire fleet are threatened by the treachery of the French and the mutinous Captain Billy Blood. Nick must reach deep inside, using his wits, courage, and daring to rescue the imperiled British sailors.

His sister, Kate, meanwhile, has enlisted the aid of two of England’s most brilliant “scientific detectives,” Lord Hawke and Commander Hobbes, to thwart the invading Nazis. She and Nick must face England’s underwater enemies, a challenge made all the more difficult when they discover the existence of Germany’s supersecret submarine.

In this striking adventure for readers of all ages, Nick must fight ruthless enemies across two different centuries, on land and sea, to help defeat those determined to destroy his home and his family.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:44 -0400)

Nick McIver is no ordinary boy, fighting pirates, beating Nazis at their own game, and traveling through time.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,420,198 books! | Top bar: Always visible