Nick of Time by Ted Bell

Nick of Time (2000)

by Ted Bell

I am liking this more than I thought I would. Not knowledgeable of sea terms. Would love to meet ancestor this way ( )
  jenniebooks | Oct 2, 2016 |
This is an odd sort of story. I thought all through it that I was reading a book intended for an adult audience with a teenaged protagonist. I really felt like this was just a story that will cater best to fans of Ted Bell's other books rather than the average teen book reader. ( )
  matthewbloome | May 19, 2013 |
Exciting for a junior reader; predictable for an adult. Life in the time of Nazis in Britain. Contains some history not usually found, in regard to Churchill's "spies" prior to his service as Prime Minister during WWII. ( )
  librisissimo | Feb 21, 2013 |
BL 6.3
pts 19
QN 123308
  kellyrobles | Jul 12, 2012 |
I liked the time period, WWII in Britain, as well as the Napoleonic wars in the 19th century, but as much as I liked the characters, I never really got into the story. So, a little lack-luster. Then again, it might be more geared for 11-14 year old boys.... Some books are ageless, while some, though readable at most any age, definitely feel as if they were written with a very specific audience in mind, usually to the detraction of the story. ( )
  MissClark | Jan 19, 2012 |
A hero is no braver than an ordinary man,
but he is braver five minutes longer.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson
A good ship is never tested in calm waters.
--Richard Trench
For my daugher, Byrdie

And for Mike, Pendleton, and Sally

Also for Benji and Alex,
and all the other kids in the neighborhood
"Hard a'lee, me boys!" shouted Nick McIver over the wind, "or be smashed to smithereens in the jaws of Gravestone Rock!"

Nick of Time is the first young reader's book written by bestselling author Ted Bell.

In the grand tradition of epic novels like Robert Louis Stevenson’s Treasure Island comes a wondrous tale of time travel, adventure, and riches, in which twelve-year-old Nick McIver sets out to become “the hero of his own life.”

The setting is England, 1939, on the eve of war. Nick and his younger sister, Kate, live in a lighthouse on the smallest of the Channel Islands. Nick and Kate come to the aid of their father who is engaged in a desperate war of espionage with German U-boat wolf packs that are circling the islands. The information they provide to Winston Churchill is vital as he tries to warn England of the imminent Nazi invasion.

One day Nick discovers an old sea chest, left for him by his ancestor, Captain Nicholas McIver of the Royal Navy. Inside, he finds a time machine and a desperate plea for help from the captain. He uses the machine to return to the year 1805. Captain McIver and, indeed, Admiral Nelson’s entire fleet are threatened by the treachery of the French and the mutinous Captain Billy Blood. Nick must reach deep inside, using his wits, courage, and daring to rescue the imperiled British sailors.

His sister, Kate, meanwhile, has enlisted the aid of two of England’s most brilliant “scientific detectives,” Lord Hawke and Commander Hobbes, to thwart the invading Nazis. She and Nick must face England’s underwater enemies, a challenge made all the more difficult when they discover the existence of Germany’s supersecret submarine.

In this striking adventure for readers of all ages, Nick must fight ruthless enemies across two different centuries, on land and sea, to help defeat those determined to destroy his home and his family.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:50 -0400)

Nick McIver is no ordinary boy, fighting pirates, beating Nazis at their own game, and traveling through time.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,108,220 books! | Top bar: Always visible