We Were Out of Our Minds with Joy (novella)…

We Were Out of Our Minds with Joy (novella)

by David Marusek

Recently added byFayries, KingRat, clong

This is an ambitious novella, a story that is more thought provoking than satisfying. Its strengths are an interesting view of how increased longevity would impact humanity and a particularly intriguing concept of a functional meritocracy within a totalitarian world. The novella also deals quite a bit with Artificial Intelligence issues, without breaking any new ground.

My biggest complaint was that I didn't find either of the two main characters particularly convincing or sympathetic, especially in their actions and feelings around the birth of their child and the protagonist’s ultimate misfortune. In fact, the only character I really liked was Henry, the protagonist's AI butler/PDA/confidant. I feel like a bit of a broken record, but I found the author’s take on how old people in young bodies would think about sex to be more adolescent fantasy than any kind of insight into human psychology (but this has been a common complaint of mine in science fiction stories of late).

Still, it is pretty darn impressive for only the author's third published story. ( )
  clong | Mar 12, 2008 |
Marusek’s stories are stealthily devastating, secreting tragedies underneath the practical veneers of shiny new technologies.

David Marusek is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Le Bélial

An edition of this book was published by Le Bélial.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,361,795 books! | Top bar: Always visible