Prince Charming by Julie Garwood

Prince Charming

by Julie Garwood

I really loved this vintage Garwood. It reminded me at times of her The Lion's Lady, an all time favorite. Set in 1868, Taylor, an aristocratic Englishwoman, must marry an American stranger so she can elude her horrible lecherous uncle that is after her inheritance and her two baby nieces that are living in Boston. Taylor and her new handsome husband, Lucas Ross, travel by steamship to Boston where they expect to go their separate ways - but nothing happens as it should! Taylor is beautiful and resourceful - always gets her way. She drives Lucas crazy, especially since he's so attracted to her! Great story, hard to put down. Loved the side characters too. Taylor and Lucas are classic Garwood, very like her winsome heroines from her Scottish highlander romances who stop their big and brawny Highland heroes in their tracks. ( )
  ktleyed | Mar 9, 2013 |
I first read Prince Charming many years ago when I was pregnant with my son (I ended up naming him Lucas in part because of this book.:-)). In spite of that, I still didn't recall much about the story. In fact, I thought I remembered a couple of things and then ended up being completely wrong. My memory may have failed me, but Julie Garwood certainly didn't. This book turned out to be one that was well worth the re-read.

Prince Charming is a story that is rather unique to the historical sub-genre of romance. First, the setting kind of moves all over the place. It begins in Victorian England, but Lucas and Taylor leave for America rather quickly. Then there is a bit of high seas adventure before the pair land in Boston. They spend some time there as well as in the city of Cincinnati before finally ending up in the tiny frontier town of Redemption, Montana. Also, Taylor is a titled English lady from an aristocratic family while Lucas is an American frontiersman who is the bastard son of a Englishman. Overall, not the types of settings and characters that one would typically expect from a historical romance, but in spite of the seeming incongruousness, it all ended up working together to create a very enjoyable story.

Taylor is an outwardly poised and confident young woman who knows what she needs to do and is very determined to see it through. She was jilted by her fiancé who then married her evil cousin, and when she receives the news that her sister and brother-in-law have died in America, leaving behind her two small nieces, Taylor will do anything to keep them from the clutches of her abusive uncle. Taylor trusts her beloved grandmother’s judgment implicitly, so when the lady, on her deathbed, arranges a temporary marriage in name only to an American who she believes will keep Taylor and the babies safe, Taylor is eager to go along with the plan. Taylor is sweet and demure while still being quite strong and spirited. Her eccentric great-uncle who she adored taught her all about frontier life in America, and Taylor became completely enamored of Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone. He also taught her how to shoot with uncanny accuracy, yet she's not exactly a kick-butt heroine per se. Instead, she has a very dichotomous personality. Taylor is kind, caring, compassionate, and very forgiving and non-judgmental of others' shortcomings. She becomes a loyal friend and staunch ally of a woman who is pregnant out of wedlock and doesn't bat an eyelash when she finds out that Lucas's best friend is a half-breed. She is fiercely protective of those she loves, and knows that she is going to raise her sister's children as her own before she even locates them. It was really cute and funny when she defended Lucas from his half-brother's attacks against his character, thinking that he wasn't going to stand up for himself. She talks a little too much, especially when she's nervous or scared, but frequently surprises Lucas with things she says or does that often amuse him. It was rather sweet how Taylor plans all along to follow Lucas to Redemption but never tells him because she knows he doesn't want to be married. She's very intelligent and clear-headed and can certainly take care of herself when the situation calls for it. Even though she feels inept at it, Taylor definitely has a natural knack for motherhood too. When she ends up with three children to care for instead of the two she was expecting, she doesn't even hesitate. She just has a big heart and a lot of spunk.

Taylor's grandmother couldn't have picked a better groom for her than Lucas. He is generally a man of few words who prefers to observe and only act when it's the most opportune time. He is a man who is every bit as protective of those he loves as Taylor is, and a man who is committed to seeing justice served on those who prey upon others. Even though he didn't know his younger half-brothers, Lucas willingly and generously helped them to get away from his evil older half-brother to build a new life in America. He has also been hunting down the man responsible for killing all of his men during the Civil War. When he finally learns of the plight of Taylor's nieces, he won't stop until they're found. It was very sweet that Lucas's protectiveness of Taylor even extended to protecting her from his own lust. I love how he's always looking out for her well-being, making sure she eats and sleeps. He comforts her in her grief and never even considered taking advantage of her while she was in that vulnerable state. He never thought he wanted to be married, but Taylor slowly gets under his skin with her beauty, poise, and kindness. When he begins to become possessive of her, it's just too cute. Having been an orphan who basically raised himself while living by his wits, he doesn't even realize what he's been missing until Taylor begins to show him her unconditional love and trust. Then he finds he can't resist her and wants to become a better man to be worthy of a wonderful woman like her.

I thoroughly enjoying watching Lucas and Taylor gradually fall for one another. The jealousy that initially confounds them both is absolutely adorable, and I loved their bantering. The part where Lucas decided to prove to Taylor that women have "urges" just like men is priceless. This was classic Julie Garwood at her best. I also loved how they never got too bent out of shape when the other one was angry or irritable. Instead, they took the time to think through what the other might be feeling and usually were pretty astute in their observations and intuitive of what the other needed.

Lucas's best friend, Hunter, and Taylor's new best friend, Victoria, are every bit as cute of a couple when they finally get together as Taylor and Lucas are. Victoria was duped by her beau who left her pregnant and her family disowned her. She headed for America not knowing what else to do, but ended up so depressed that she was contemplating suicide until Taylor came along and befriended her. With Taylor backing her up, Victoria became a stronger more confident woman. Her first meeting with Hunter when she threw up on his boots was hilarious. Having experienced prejudice most of his life for being a half-breed, Hunter doesn't think himself good enough for a fine, beautiful lady like Victoria, so the two end up sharing a fair bit of bantering while fighting their feelings much like Taylor and Lucas.

There are some other great secondary characters too. Taylor's grandmother was a crusty but likable old lady. She was pretty stoic and perhaps somewhat restricted by the mores of the era, so she wasn't really outwardly affectionate. However, her actions made it clear that she thought the world of Taylor. The three kids were adorable. Georgie and Allie get into all kinds of mischief, and their initially nameless “brother” was so sweet the way he wanted to protect the twins. He's like a little Lucas or Hunter in the making. The men of Redemption are a hoot, and they too take to Taylor and Victoria almost instantly, wanting to help and protect them.

Overall, Prince Charming was a wonderful and “charming” book. The only two things that made me knock off a half star were the head-hopping and some passive narration. Not having read many older romances in recent history, I'm not sure if these things were more acceptable back then or if this was a peculiarity of this particular book. However, neither was enough to really diminish my enjoyment of the story much. Now that I've been reminded of what a great story it is, Prince Charming has definitely earned a spot on my keeper shelf. ( )
  mom2lnb | Jun 27, 2012 |
Garwood's heroin was devastated when her fiancé eloped with her cousin, but only her grandmother, Lady Esther knew. Now the heroin has to try to escape her unscrupulous uncle who is placed to become her guardian. She is determined to avoid his clutches. She agrees to her grandmothers plan to marry an American, and leave England forever. ( )
  BackyardHorse | Feb 16, 2012 |
Lady Taylor is about to lose her grandmother but before her grandmother passes away they make a deal with Lucas Ross. Taylor marries Ross so that he can protect her from her Uncle Malcolm. Malcolm wants the entire inheritance as well as control over Taylor. Taylor's sister has moved to the states with her husband and twin daughters. Unfortunately Taylor's sister and husband pass away and the twins need Taylor's protection and guardianship. This starts a series of incidents where Lucas is drawn further and further into Taylor's world and into her heart.

Not my usual guilty pleasure read but I enjoyed it much more then I thought I would. ( )
  melorem | Jul 7, 2011 |
Lady Taylor Stapleton was devastated when her fiancé eloped with her cousin, but only her grandmother, Lady Esther knew. Now Taylor has to try to escape her unscrupulous uncle who is placed to become her guardian. Taylor is determined to avoid this. She agrees to her grandmothers plan to marry Lucas Ross, an American, and move there with him.

The plan includes them getting divorced, which they both agree to at first but the more time they spend together the harder it is to keep that pledge.

It's fluff, but fun fluff. ( )
  wyvernfriend | May 20, 2009 |
Know what it is to be a child...

To see a world in a grain of sand

And a heaven in a wild flower,

Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand

And Eternity in an hour.

--William Blake, Auguries of Innocence
To Marilyn Regina Murphy.
My sister, my champion, my friend.
The vultures were gathering in the vestibule.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671870963, Mass Market Paperback)

Bestselling author Julie Garwood's classic love story is filled with "the humor, the sweetness, and the sensuality" (Publishers Weekly) that have made her "a trusted brand name in romantic fiction" (People).

Only her beloved grandmother, Lady Esther, knew how devastated Taylor Stapleton had been when her fiancé eloped with Taylor's cousin. Now dear Esther -- one of London's richest and most formidable matriarchs -- lies dying. But first she was going to help Taylor pull off the scam of the season.

To escape becoming a ward of her unscrupulous uncle, Taylor would wed Lucas Ross, a rugged American rancher. Lady Esther's money would enable Ross to return home to Montana. Taylor had her own urgent reason to go to America...a precious legacy she hadn't revealed to Ross, for they had agreed to part ways once they reached Boston. But as her handsome new husband spoke of life in Montana, Taylor began planning a new future. To Taylor, the wide-open spaces of Montana sounded like paradise....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:33 -0400)

After Lady Stapleton marries Lucas Ross, a man she had not previously met, to save her nieces from their uncle, she and Ross go to America where they must stay married longer than she had planned.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,015,170 books! | Top bar: Always visible