Family dog by Richard A. Wolters

Family dog

by Richard A. Wolters

!2-Personal (1) 3.77 stars (1) animals (1) B02 (1) dog (2) dog training (3) dogs (10) H (1) hard (1) illustrated (1) index (1) nature (1) pets (3) Pets - Dogs (1) PLC (1) SOLD2 (1) Tr.s.wr (1) training (2) unrated (1)

This is a book for training a pet dog, rather than a working dog. Wolters believes that one should choose a pure-bred puppy, and he has a list of breeds that are better and worse with children.

Wolters believes that to have a really well-trained dog, it is essential to start with a puppy, and one who is exactly 49 days old. Very often, books have recommended not attempting serious training until the dog is one year of age, by Wolters argues that research has shown that training can begin much earlier, and is much more effective if it does. He describes the work of Dr. J. Paul Scott, Director of the Animal Behavior Laboratory at Hamilton Station of the Roscoe B. Jackson Memorial Laboratory in Maine. Usually, only 20% of puppies trained as Seeing Eye Dogs successfully completed the training. Dr. Scott started training the pups earlier, and got a 90% success rate!

Wolters describes the development of the puppy from birth, and explains why 49 days is the best age for the puppy to move to a new home and start training. He then works through a series of essential things for the dog to learn, and trick that are not needed but may amuse the owners and their friends. Wolters claims that the training can be carried out by a child, in this case 6-1/2-year-old Lane, under the supervision of an adult, and will produced a well-trained, well-mannered dog in 16 weeks. I can't recommend it from personal experience, but the would-be dog owner should certainly consider this one. I would certainly give this system a try if I were going to get a pup. Most of my animals have been middle-aged pets who were losing their home, but I would still give the techniques a try if I got a new dog. I would, of course, be more impressed if Lane had trained a beagle instead of a lab. I have always found it easy to teach beagles new things, the problem is convincing them that they ought to do them, and more difficult, continue to do them, just because I say so.

There is one thing that strikes me as odd. On the verso of the title-page, if says: "Championshp Labradors trained and supplied by Lisa Keplar and Sunspots Labradors of Raleigh, North Carolina." I am presuming that Wolters got the dog from them, and he means that they will train dogs for other people, but that is not perhaps the best wording. ( )
  juglicerr | Nov 17, 2014 |

Richard A. Woltersprimary authorall editionscalculated
Braswell, TomPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Drate, Stanley S.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Middleton, JosephCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Middleton, LesliePhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smith, RedIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to Kids and Dogs
It should be stated at the outset that the author of this book is some kind of a nut, or something.  (Introduction, by Red Smith)
As I reach for the keys of the typewriter, the first sentence all figured out, the door of the study opens and in pops a head.  (Author's note to first edition)
Dog books have been written in English for over five hundred years.

Widely recognized as one of the great dog trainers of his time, Richard Wolters's tested techniques continue to endure. Family Dog was the first book written for any member of the family, from age six to sixty, who wants to train a dog fast. By following the book's simple instructions, anyone can have a well-trained dog in just sixteen weeks. In Family Dog Wolters teaches: * How to choose the right dog for your family and lifestyle
* The benefits of play and relaxation
* Talking with your dog-- it's not what you say, but how you say it
* All the fundamentals of training-- house-breaking, basic commands, and tricks
* Tips on grooming
* The best dog diet in the world
* First-aid and medical advice, and much more

More than 200 all-new pictures in chronological, step-by-step sequence illustrate exactly what to do with your pet in a way that takes the frustration out of training and works for all breeds and any age.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:11 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,080,115 books! | Top bar: Always visible