Sgt. Rock: The Prophecy by Joe Kubert

Sgt. Rock: The Prophecy

by Joe Kubert

Series: Sgt. Rock

Let's admit it: You read Sgt. Rock because you love when a lull in the action leads to a giant splash page of a panzer "sneaking" up on Easy Company. Am I right? How often this group of grizzled veterans is taken by surprise by a tank while seated in the snowy woods or desolate cityscape is a testament to the stealth technology employed by the Nazis during WWII. And in The Prophecy, TWO tanks sneak up on the company--and Sgt. Rock takes one out with a knife and a grenade. Yeah, yo' Rock.

But the "tanks scene" is just window dressing here, a little something-something for the fellas to gush over approvingly. The main plot is more bewildering--Easy Company is shipped in 1943 to the Russian front to pick up an important "package" which will help end the war. It's not technology, it's not war plans, it's...well, read for yourself.

But the package is unrealistic, and while I can easily accept a grizzled Sgt. Rock taking out a tank with a knife and grenade, I cannot suspend disbelief for the heavy-morale of moving the package out. It's not as believable. When the package is picked up by a heliocopter--in 1943--on the Russian front with no American forces for hundreds of miles--I'm puzzled. Doesn't make sense. And Easy Company's decision at the end actually made me laugh out loud. Actually, it reminded me of the cinematic masterpiece The Three Amigos where the three heroes get their enthusiasm and confidence up to tear off into the desert to fight for the heroine; the next scene has them more sober and asking, "How far did we ride before we stopped for directions?" Easy Company is left in limbo at the end of the piece--and it doesn't make sense on so many levels.

So: Should you read it? If you're a fan of Sgt. Rock, you already have. If you're not a fan of Sgt. Rock, shame on you and, no, don't start here. This is not Sgt Rock at his height. ( )
  LeBoeuf | Jul 30, 2016 |

Sgt. Rock and Easy Company find themselves trapped between the lines of Nazi Germany and the advancing Russian army, where they must search for a mysterious religious prize that could determine the outcome of the war.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,458,702 books! | Top bar: Always visible