Elsewhere by Will Shetterly

I’d actually read this before and forgotten. It’s a Bordertown novel, complete with punks, drugs, and unreliable magic. I didn’t like the main character at all, but I remember liking him in sequels.
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Captures being an annoying teenager very well. Sadly, is annoying in the process of doing so. I have fond, fond memories of a Bordertown anthology from my adolescence and this sort of snuck in under that cover.
  omnia_mutantur | Nov 30, 2011 |
I enjoyed this urban fantasy set in the NeverNever. I especially liked the interactions between Ron and the people he meets. ( )
  krin5292 | Feb 22, 2011 |
A fantasy novel set in the 1990s shared world of the Borderlands, a rough urban setting on the border between the human world and the realm of faerie. The tag line for the series is "where magic meets rock & roll," which probably tells you most of what you need to know about it. I'd read a couple of books in this series before: Emma Bull's Finder, which I read many years ago and vaguely remember liking well enough, and the anthology Borderland, which I read last year and was kind of underwhelmed by. This one, I think, lies somewhere in between. It's decently written, and Shetterly makes the setting feel real enough. But the story -- which follows a teenage runaway who comes to Bordertown looking for his brother and falls in with a group of bohemian misfits -- really wasn't more than mildly interesting to me. I could say pretty much the same thing about the characters, too. It's a quick read, and not an unpleasant one, but also not very memorable. And now that I'm finished with what was already sitting on my To-Read Pile, I think I'm ready to call myself done with this series. ( )
2 vote bragan | Jan 31, 2011 |
When I first came across the term 'Elfpunk', I really wasn't sure what to think. It wasn't too difficult for me to picture Orlando Bloom with a mohawk because I've seen pictures of him with one. Visualizing Legolas without his long tresses or maybe clothed in latex was a different matter all together (I kept flashing on those albino twins from The Matrix Reloaded). So, it was with no small amount of curiosity that I began to read Elsewhere.

The protagonist, Ron, is a human runaway. He decides to try Bordertown, which exists between The World and Faerie. Issues of race and gender, disability and even sexual preference make life a bit rough around the edges. It doesn't matter if you're human, elf or a halfie - no one survives long on their own. Ron is recruited into a mixed gang and like any fresh meat, everyone is quick to use him to their own best advantage. Ron is not naive but eventually does become the tool used to exact revenge. He's a boy with a lot of mental baggage and he crumbles under this new disappointment. Ron must make amends to humans and elves alike.

I really liked the world building. It wasn't all beautiful but it was very creative, even the drug use. What I didn't care for (and this is difficult to say without giving away spoilers) was Ron's transformation at the end. It didn't seem to fit and I didn't like it, so mentally I tuned out. There is a sequel but I probably won't be reading it. ( )
1 vote VictoriaPL | Jan 25, 2010 |
For Emma.
I knew I was in the Nevernever when I saw a wild elf through the train window.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0152052097, Paperback)

When Ron runs away, he ends up in Bordertown, a grim city that lies between the real world and the world of faerie, a place where elf and human gangs stalk the streets side by side, and where magic works better than technology. If the city doesn't kill him, it just may teach him what it is to be human.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:49 -0400)

Ron, a teenage runaway, comes of age among the punk elves and humans of Bordertown, a run-down city on the border between the real world and the magic world of Faerie.

Will Shetterly is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,327,340 books! | Top bar: Always visible