The Mayne Inheritance by Rosamond Siemon

The Mayne Inheritance

by Rosamond Siemon

One of my favourites, especially since I was born, grew up in and now am back living in Brisbane. It is a special thrill to read a book like this that deals with places and people you know well. I was lucky enough to go on a bus tour with Rosamond Siemon as guide, visiting the places mentioned in the book, as well having heard her speak a number of times. A tremendous read, snappy, titillating and enthralling. Even though question marks have recently been raised over the veracity of some the claims Siemon makes, it doesnt detract from its entertainment value. Deservedly rated one of the best books to come out of Queensland in the past decade, its a must-read for all Brisbaneites interested in their city's history, and all fans of Australian history and crime. ( )
  drmaf | Oct 10, 2013 |
I don't normally listen to or read non-fiction as I am a fiction fan (love stories & family saga's). Recently I listened to a story narrated by Deidre Rubenstein and I enjoyed her voice so much that I wanted to listen to all the books she has narrated that are in the library, which includes this one a true story of the Mayne Family of Brisbane. The youngest Maynes, James and Mary donated the land and left their estate the the University of Qld. On his death bed their father Patrick, admitted to committing a murder 17 years earlier for which another was hanged.

It seems well researched and it just got me thinking about my ancestors who also settled in Brisbane. ( )
  bhryk0 | Sep 7, 2010 |
Tells the story of the Mayne family, original settlers in Brisbane, Qld. Uncovers the tragic circumstances that the family bares and their efforts to overcome this legacy. ( )
  ipsbook | Sep 4, 2008 |
This was the community book-read for Brisbane in 2003. It is a history of three generations of the Mayne family who came to Brisbane in the early 1800s and became generous benefactors of the University of Queensland. The early history of the family was steeped in scandal and this dogged the lives of later generations, effectively eclipsing their status as community supporters. Interesting, and good for a newcomer to Brisbane, but a bit heavy going. ( )
  Jawin | Jan 4, 2007 |

The Mayne inheritance.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,823,008 books! | Top bar: Always visible