Song of the Sparrow by Lisa Ann Sandell

Song of the Sparrow (2007)

by Lisa Ann Sandell

The Watch That Ends the Night: Voices from the Titanic by Allan Wolf (Joles)
    Joles: Both books are written in verse and are written for a YA audience about historical events.

Just didn't do anything for me. Not bad per se, but not memorable or even interesting. The verse format detracted my comprehension of the plot and of the characters and their motivations, even though normally I like stories told in verse. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Song of the Sparrow was a book kept in the library for literature circles. The book had mixed reviews by the students who had read it, but the previous librarian loved it so I had to give it a shot. I have to be honest, I think I just struggle with books written in poetry. They just don't captivate me as well, I think I like having excess detail! I liked the story, as I very much love books that contain Arthurian legend. This would be a great book for students learning about verse novels, particularly students who enjoy the story of Arthur and the knights of the round table. ( )
  mbender37 | Feb 7, 2016 |
A quick and quaint read! Entertaining and endearing, Elaine is a character I wish I could have met. I especially enjoyed the beginning but I feel that it flagged towards the end. I don't think that being in verse helped the story in anywAy and I think there would have been more depth in prose form. Still fun though, I love reading about Arthurian times! ( )
  Jackie_Sassa | Nov 20, 2015 |
I have just finished the book called Song of the Sparrow. It is a beautifully written book. It got me interested into a folklore that I have never read before. I love how the young woman named Elaine was the heroine in the story. ( )
  harleyqgrayson02 | Jan 3, 2015 |
I love this book. It's structure is different from most books. It's in lyric form, which matches the story line. The story line is based in the Arthurian legends, but revolves around a young girl that lives in the army camp with her family. She has a one sided love with Lancelot and tries to prove to all the men around her that she can be useful and not just trouble. ( )
  Y-NhiVu | Nov 27, 2014 |
Lying, robed in snowy white

That loosely flew to left and right --

The leaves upon her falling light --

Thro' the noises of the night

She floated down to Camelot:

And as the boad-head wound along

The willowy hills and fields among

They heard her singing her last song,

The Lady of Shalott.

"The Lady of Shalott" by Alfred, Lord Tennsyson, 1842
In loving memory of Sydney Sandell.

For my two best friends....

Sharon, more than you know, you are a source of inspiration, of joy and love.

Liel, my partner, my muse, you are the love and light of my life
I am Elaine daughter of Barnard of Ascolat. Motherless. Sisterless. I sing these words to you now, because the point of light grows smaller, ever smaller now, ever more distant now. And with this song, I pray I may push back the tides of war and death. So, I sing these words that this light, this tiny ray of light and hope may live on. I dare not hope that I may live on too.

"Elaine the fair, Elaine the loveable, Elaine, the lily maid of Astolat": Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Since the days of King Arthur, there have been poems and paintings created in her name. She is Elaine of Ascolat, the Lady of Shalott, and now there is a book all her own. The year is 490 A.D. and 16-year-old Elaine has a temperament to match her fiery red hair. Living on a military base with her father, brothers, and the rest of Arthur's army, Elaine pines for the handsome Lancelot, and longs for a female friend. But when the cruel, beautiful Gwynivere arrives, Elaine is confronted with startling emotions of jealousy and rivalry. Can Elaine find the strength to survive the birth of a kingdom?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:38 -0400)

In fifth-century Britain, nine years after the destruction of their home on the island of Shalott brings her to live with her father and brothers in the military encampments of Arthur's army, seventeen-year-old Elaine describes her changing perceptions of war and the people around her as she becomes increasingly involved in the bitter struggle against the invading Saxons.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,789,466 books! | Top bar: Always visible