Mornings on Horseback by David McCullough

Mornings on Horseback (original 1981; edition 1982)

by David McCullough

Member:markpemble
Title:Mornings on Horseback
Authors:David McCullough
Info:Peter Smith Pub Inc (1982), Library Binding
Rating:***

Mornings on Horseback by David McCullough (1981)

The Bully Pulpit: Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, and the Golden Age of Journalism by Doris Kearns Goodwin (rakerman)
    rakerman: The Bully Pulpit covers some biographical details of Theodore Roosevelt Jr.'s life but at a much quicker summary level than Mornings on Horseback. Mornings on Horseback starts off mostly about Theodore Roosevelt Sr., and its level of detail is sometimes excruciating. Each book provides a different perspective on the life and character of Theodore Roosevelt Jr.; they complement each other well.… (more)

being an early book for McCullough, this is not as polished as some of his later works, but even so it is a masterpiece. Read it to learn about Theodore Roosevelt, the person, not Theodore Roosevelt, the historical figure. ( )
  davevanl | May 23, 2016 |
Mornings on Horseback is one of many TR books that I have meant to read for some time, I was thrilled when it popped to the top of my list when it became the Tomball Library Non-Fiction reading group choice for July. I have always been a fan of Teddy Roosevelt and looked forward to reading about his family and his childhood.

[bc:Mornings on Horseback|2368|Mornings on Horseback|David McCullough|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1404484642s/2368.jpg|54350]

[a:David McCullough|6281688|David McCullough|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1348921572p2/6281688.jpg] has written a biography on the young Theodore Roosevelt and his family and social history of the period. Theodore Roosevelt, Sr was a Northerner, a business Tycoon and a philanthropist his mother Mittie Bulloch was a Southerner, a celebrated beauty and a force to be reckoned with. There are sisters Anna and Corrine and a brother Elliott (who was the father of Eleanor Roosevelt).

The book gives a vivid picture of what made Teddy Roosevelt, the man he was and what were the cornerstones of his thinking. Family was paramount as was education. When the family visited and even when Teddy traveled alone, it was important to immerse themselves in their surroundings to drink in the culture and to learn what they could. To see and have conversations with men of these cultures to gain their points of view. Remember men were the power players of the day and decision makers. Teddy also needed to build up his scrawny body. His father told him he had a mind, but the mind was nothing without a healthy body.

“It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.” - Theodore Roosevelt

yvonne.sevignykaiser | Apr 2, 2016 |
I did not realize that this was abridged until I got to the end. Then I realized that my friend, Jesse Boggs, was the abridger. The abridgment was seamless. This is the very interesting story of Theodore Roosevelt as a young boy. It continues through his adulthood but not as extensively as his childhood. I was amazed at how much he overcame concerning his health. What a fascinating family. In the end I did wonder what happened to his first daughter. I was grateful for the epilogue that let us know what happened to other family members. I was confused about Linda Emond's role. She came in and read several chapters, but I couldn't understand why those chapters or why change narrators at all. Edward Herrmann is a fabulous reader. I think I would listen to anything he reads. He really brings life to the story. ( )
  njcur | Feb 15, 2016 |
Fantastic book about the early life of Theodore Roosevelt. It dives into the many interesting aspects of TR's upbringing that make a fascinating story regardless of the fact that he eventually became a well loved POTUS. This book does not even touch on the most interesting parts of TR's life, but leaves you in a situation that you can see where he came from (which is what the author intended).

McCullough always researches extremely well and it is no exception with this book. Stories from his life are not just told, but dissected from the many different viewpoints available and checked for veracity. Reading a McCullough book is to be taken back in time to when the history happened. For example, McCullough expounds on the history of asthma and what was currently known during TR's youth and how as a rich child TR's parents would spend thousands of dollars to try to combat the disease. ( )
  JaredChristopherson | Nov 16, 2015 |
Brilliantly written. McCullough really gets to the heart of what made Teddy Teddy. Some wonderful insights into his personality and the shaping of the man. I still can't get over the image of the patrician Roosevelt investigating the slums and cigar industry with Samuel Gompers. Because Teddy was so easy to caricature, many of us
do not get beyond the carton image of him tugging the boat through the Panama Canal or walking giant like with his "big Stick." As one of our most dynamic and complex presidents he deserves better and Mr McCullough
delivers!

Now please, please, please write a biography of James Madison, Mr. McCullough.
  lucybrown | Sep 27, 2015 |
For Melissa
In the year 1869, when the population of New York City had reached nearly a million, the occupants of 28 East 20th Street, a five-story brownstone, numbered six, exclusive of the servants.

Mornings on Horseback is the brilliant biography of the young Theodore Roosevelt. Hailed as "a masterpiece" (John A. Gable, Newsday), it is the winner of the Los Angeles Times 1981 Book Prize for Biography and the National Book Award for Biography. Written by David McCullough, the author of Truman, this is the story of a remarkable little boy, seriously handicapped by recurrent and almost fatal asthma attacks, and his struggle to manhood: an amazing metamorphosis seen in the context of the very uncommon household in which he was raised.

The father is the first Theodore Roosevelt, a figure of unbounded energy, enormously attractive and selfless, a god in the eyes of his small, frail namesake. The mother, Mittie Bulloch Roosevelt, is a Southerner and a celebrated beauty, but also considerably more, which the book makes clear as never before. There are sisters Anna and Corinne, brother Elliott (who becomes the father of Eleanor Roosevelt), and the lovely, tragic Alice Lee, TR's first love. All are brought to life to make "a beautifully told story, filled with fresh detail", wrote The New York Times Book Review.

A book to be read on many levels, it is at once an enthralling story, a brilliant social history and a work of important scholarship which does away with several old myths and breaks entirely new ground. It is a book about life intensely lived, about family love and loyalty, about grief and courage, about "blessed" mornings on horseback beneath the wide blue skies of the Badlands.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:57 -0400)

This biography of young Theodore Roosevelt covers his youth when he demanded a strenuous life despite his asthma, weak eyes, and patrician family.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,126,491 books! | Top bar: Always visible