The Keys of Egypt: The Race to Read the…

The Keys of Egypt: The Race to Read the Hieroglyphs (2000)

by Lesley Adkins, Roy Adkins (Author)

Lost Languages: The Enigma of the World's Undeciphered Scripts by Andrew Robinson (lorax)
    lorax: The Keys of Egypt is a detailed look at the decipherment of Egyptian hieroglyphics; Lost Languages covers more scripts, deciphered and not, in less detail.
    The Rosetta Stone (Objects in Focus) by Richard Parkinson (Percevan)

English (7)  Swedish (2)  Italian (1)  All (10)
I found this book at our library's book sale and ran, giddy, over to the cashier and demanded they take my money right away. I love history, I love Ancient Egypt and I was certain I was going to love this book. Little did I know I was going to more than love it, though I don't at all know how to best describe my extreme joy in turning each page. Typically books about history read like history books, text books, or maybe have a little drama in them, but this book read almost like a mystery waiting to be solved, which is exactly what hieroglyphs were at the time, making the all around perfection of this writing even more of a surprise considering the subject. Do not expect a dry rambling when you pick up this book, expect adventure! Also, make sure you pack a pencil and paper along as you journey through time because this book made me realize there were many other things I wanted to read about Egyptian Hieroglyphs, the Ancient Egyptian language and writing style, and the history of rediscovering the language itself. As a result of loving this book, I have added many more to my shelves. It isn't every day that you say you will read a nonfiction work again, but I most certainly will reread this one! ( )
1 vote mirrani | Apr 19, 2015 |
Pleasant, readable history about history. ( )
  Cacuzza | Nov 9, 2013 |
Reads like a detective novel, as we move briskly along a fascinating journey. ( )
2 vote stellarexplorer | Sep 10, 2008 |
Egyptian language > Writing, Hieroglyphic
  Budzul | May 31, 2008 |
Read this one in a week while on vacation. This is a great, informative book, and my only complaint about it is that it showed me how much more I need to learn about the time period and the subject -- which, come to think of it, isn't really a bad thing. ( )
  wkelly42 | Jan 19, 2008 |

Adkins, LesleyAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Adkins, RoyAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Andersson, ThomasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

When Napoleon invaded Egypt in 1798, his troops were astonished to find countless ruins covered with hieroglyphs -- remnants of a language lost in time. Egyptomania spread throughout Europe with their return, and the quest to decipher the hieroglyphs began in earnest, for it was understood that fame and fortune awaited the scholar who succeeded.

In rural France, Jean-Francois Champollion, the brilliant son of an impoverished bookseller, became obsessed with breaking the code of the ancient Egyptians. At sixteen years of age he decided that he would dedicate his life to the decipherment of hieroglyphs. Amid political turmoil in France caused by Napoleon's meteoric rise and catastrophic fall, Champollion was hounded, exiled, and even charged with treason, yet he continued to strive for the key to the ancient texts. In 1812, Champollion made the decisive breakthrough, beating his closest rival, English physician Thomas Young, to the prize and becoming the first person to be able to read the ancient Egyptian language in well over a thousand years. The Keys of Egypt is a true story of adventure, obsession, and triumph over extreme adversity.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:06 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,732,362 books! | Top bar: Always visible