Driving with Dead People: A Memoir by Monica…

Driving with Dead People: A Memoir (2007)

by Monica Holloway

I was hoping this would be more about a woman who grew up in a funeral home. I also expected it to be funny. I was disappointed. It was an good read, but overall, it was unremarkable. When I think about all the other amazing memoirs out there that I have read, this book does not even compete in the same league. It seems like everyone is writing a memoir these days. ( )
  RojaHorchata | Jul 11, 2016 |
Very nicely written, but a bit too long for my taste. I think the same story could have been told as poignantly in fewer pages.

This book is, at its heart, about the horrors of childhood with an abusive father and emotionally absent mother. The tales of growing up are difficult to read and the fact that this is a memoir make the words, actions and denial even more bone-crushing. The aftermath of living in this environment proves to be a difficult one to rise above, only two siblings facing the issues head-on to try to move past the hurt and betrayal.

This is a raw, painful and real story that will make you want to protect the children and beat the hell out of the adults.

Recommended. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
This is the only edition listed on Goodreads, but the author is actually Monica Holloway.

As a child, Holloway played in her friend's father's funeral home. She was always fascinated by death, even wished for it to an extent, to get away from her abusive father. As she grows up, she comes to terms with her unstable family and makes a life for herself, until unearthed family knowledge rocks her foundation. Incredibly well-written and enjoyable, despite the subject matter being a bit hard to swallow. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
While we're trained never to judge a book by its cover, it does set the tone of a read before we even crack it open. Driving With Dead People snagged me with its witty title and its back cover featuring a photo of the back of a hearse.

What I did get was a story of a young girl-turned-woman's struggle of growing up with an abusive father, a turn-a-blind-eye mother, and a story of idolization of the main character's dream family... that of the Kilners, who owned the local mortuary.

This book puts the reader at the heart of a broken home and face to face with the emotional distress that goes with such. If you want a happy, uplifting read look elsewhere - otherwise, this is a worthwhile read. ( )
  francophoney | Aug 4, 2014 |
Driving with dead people was a weird book. It's about a girl named Monica (The author) and her family. Her dad loves to film accidents. A girl that looked just like Monica got hit by a car and died. Monica wanted to know who the girl was so she asked her dad. Her dad really didn't know much so she figured he though it wasn't bloody enough for him to take pictures of or film. The kids dad liked to embarrass them. They would be out in public and the dad would randomly pull one of the girls pants down.

When she grew up she went to acting school. She made a lot of mistakes there. She fell in love with a teacher. She dated like 4 different boys. She almost got married but she didn't. Her sister almost killed herself. She goes to an asylum for a while. Her sister confesses a lot of stuff about her dad. Her dad liked to film storms also. Monica ends up getting married eventually. She loses all contact with her other sister and her brother. The whole family was a drug addict. Her brother Jamie and her sister wasted their lives on drugs and parties. The only sister Monica kept contact with was the oldest sister. Over all I didn't really like the book. ( )
  br14kaiho | Nov 25, 2013 |
To my beloved husband, angelic son, and remarkable sister with love
It changed everything: a school picture printed on the front page of the Elk Grove Courier, the newspaper my father was reading.

Recounts how the author struggled to retain her optimism in spite of her father's sexual abuse, her mother's abandonment, and her siblings' betrayals; her morbid fascination with a local funeral business that led to her job as a hearse driver; and the insecurities that have overshadowed her survival.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,989,239 books! | Top bar: Always visible