Delivered from Distraction: Getting the Most…

Delivered from Distraction: Getting the Most out of Life with Attention…

by Edward M. Hallowell

An excellent resource for anyone with ADD. It is a book that a person with ADD/ADHD can actually get through. Also a very helpful for family members, so they can learn skills to help the ADD/ADHD individual. ( )
  jbrundin | Jan 17, 2010 |
This is a refreshing and hopeful look at ADD and ADHD, which emphasizes early detection and treatment. Hallowell reviews a wide variety of treatments, including the various drugs, foods, and cerebral exercises. He also stresses the importance of finding the right spouse and the right job.
He also emphasizes the importance for educators, parents , and counselors of helping people with ADD to identify and develop their gifts and special talents, rather than keeping them chained down by their weaknesses. ( )
  ds1 | Jun 22, 2009 |
This book was rather large but I found myself reading through every chapter that even slightly pertained to me. The author is ADHD and you really feel that as you are reading this book. Chapters are mostly very short so you can pick it up read and chapter or two then go about life and come back.

Book touches on a lot of subject and isn't clinical at all in how it presents information. ( )
  la_librarian | Jun 26, 2008 |
As a highly stressed ADD'ed individual working in the information systems / design industry, this book has helped me tremendously and I have as a result recommended to many of my friends.

Written by two Harvard Medical school graduates, both of which have ADD, this book demonstrate through real-life examples how to live one's life to the fullest.

Written in ADD-friendly writing style--lists, dialog, etc.--the book serves as an excellent guide to hack your life:

1. How to take advantage of all the pros that come with Attention Deficit Disorder.

2. Steps you can take to manage the cons that come with Attention Deficit Disorder.

Highly recommended.

/SML ( )
  seeminglee | Nov 4, 2007 |
I am an adult with Attention-Deficit Disorder. Both this book, and the authors previous "Driven to Distraction" have really helped me to understand my illness better. Because of these well-written, insightful, and humourous books, I feel like I am more in control of myself and my life than ever before (not to mention some therapy and a lot of "self work" too!). I highly recommend either of these books to anyone who has ADD, knows someone with ADD, or who just wants to understand it better. If anyone with ADD has ever frustrated you, these books will give you many "Aha - that's why he always does that" moments.

This second book also provides an overview of ADD and how it works, but it focuses more on dealing with ADD. Alternative therapies are overviewed here, such as the use of nutrition in helping to control ADD, as well as traditional therapies, such as psychiatric therapy and drug therapy. This book also focuses on the positive aspects of ADD, and how you can harness them to work in your favour. It is kind of like a guidebook for people living with ADD. ( )
  bluecanoe | Oct 16, 2006 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345442318, Paperback)

Medication? Maybe. Marry the right person and find the right job? A must if you are an adult suffering from ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder). So say psychiatrists Edward M. Hallowell and John J. Ratey, authors of the influential Driven to Distraction, published in 1994. In their new book, Delivered from Distraction, Hallowell and Ratey survey the current medical landscape concerning ADD, combining their own clinical observations with the latest research to paint a much more complex and, in many ways, positive picture of the condition than has generally been presented.

Hallowell and Ratey embrace the idea that success in life comes more from playing to your strengths than overcoming your weaknesses. In the case of a person with ADD (child or adult), these strengths often include unusually high levels of creativity, charisma, intelligence, and energy. The authors insist that, while medication and other treatments can sometimes work wonders in reducing limitations, surrounding yourself with people who promote these positive traits, be they in your personal or professional life, is the single most important element to living well with ADD. As both Hallowell and Ratey are not only experts in the field, but "ADDers" themselves, the tips and stories they share for how to do so are fresh, funny, and far more helpful than tired arguments over drugs verse no drugs or whether there’s even such a thing as ADD at all.--Patrick Jennings

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:13 -0400)

A guide to living with attention deficit disorder examines a variety of treatment options, medication and alternative therapies, and how to take advantage of the disorder while avoiding the problems.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,367,027 books! | Top bar: Always visible