Queen Bee Moms & Kingpin Dads: Dealing with…

Queen Bee Moms & Kingpin Dads: Dealing with the Parents, Teachers,…

by Rosalind Wiseman

After reading this book, it has become perfectly clear to me...I am secretly a man. (And up until this point I thought that I was a straight 30-something woman!) Maybe it's because I have five brothers and no sisters. That probably has a lot to do with it. But Wiseman's explanations of what moms are thinking when they say certain things to other parents - well, I know I'M not thinking that, but now that I know at least some others are - I tend to take a lot of things at face value that apparently are code for something else. Reading this book is like having someone tell you that everyone is speaking a secret language when you thought they were speaking English, and here's the last few pages of a Fodor's guidebook translation sheet to get you by.

On the other hand, the dad statements and thoughts in the book, while I didn't always agree with them, at least almost always made sense on their own terms. I could see how dads would arrive at their conclusions. This book made me feel inadequate as a mom, without really offering a solution. I just didn't connect with the author at all. Maybe school events really are secretly charged landmines, where everything you say means something else, and everything you or your child does is scrutinized. I have a sneaking suspicion that this isn't COMPLETELY inaccurate. But what Wiseman offers is more a guidebook view of the situation than a solution. ( )
  AnnieHidalgo | Aug 28, 2010 |
I started this book at the wrong time of year - I was burnt out on kids and parents. I want to read this again in the fall, since I will be helpful to me as a parent, teacher, and future foster parent.
  kirstenn | Jul 30, 2010 |
Interesting and enjoyable descriptions of the "types" of moms and dads out there. However, I think Ms. Wiseman's descriptions would probably only fit very wealthy suburbs. Also, I could never imagine myself using any of her "mock conversations" to solve a problem. ( )
1 vote twryan72 | Sep 7, 2008 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 140008301X, Paperback)

What happens to Queen Bees and Wannabes when they grow up?

Even the most well-adjusted moms and dads can experience peer pressure and conflicts with other adults that make them act like they’re back in seventh grade. In Queen Bee Moms & Kingpin Dads, Rosalind Wiseman gives us the tools to handle difficult situations involving teachers and other parents with grace. Reassuring, funny, and unfailingly honest, Wiseman reveals:

• Why PTA meetings and Back-to-School nights tap into parents’ deepest insecurities

• How to recognize the archetypal moms and dads—from Caveman Dad to Hovercraft Mom

• How and when to step in and step out of your child’s conflicts with other children, parents, teachers, or coaches

• How to interpret the code phrases other parents use to avoid (or provoke) confrontation

• Why too many well-meaning dads sit on the sidelines, and how vital it is that they step up to the plate

• What to do and say when the playing field becomes an arena for people to bully and dominate other kids and adults

• How to have respectful yet honest conversations with other parents about sex and drugs when your values are in conflict

• How the way you handle parties, risky behavior, and academic performance affects your child

• How unspoken assumptions about race, religion, and other hot-button subjects sabotage parents’ ability to work together

Queen Bee Moms & Kingpin Dads is filled with the kind of true stories that made Wiseman’s New York Times bestselling book Queen Bees & Wannabes impossible to put down. There are tales of hardworking parents with whom any of us can identify, along with tales of outrageously bad parents—the kind we all have to reckon with. For instance, what do you do when parents donate a large sum of money to a school and their child is promptly transferred into the honors program–while your son with better grades doesn’t make the cut? What about the mother who helps her daughter compose poison-pen e-mails to yours? And what do you say to the parent-coach who screams at your child when the team is losing? Wiseman offers practical advice on avoiding the most common parenting “land mines” and useful scripts to help you navigate difficult but necessary conversations.

Queen Bee Moms & Kingpin Dads is essential reading for parents today. It offers us the tools to become wiser, more relaxed parents–and the inspiration to speak out, act according to our values, show humility, and set the kind of example that will make a real difference in our children’s lives.

Also available as a Random House AudioBook and as an eBook

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:34 -0400)

Even the most well-adjusted moms and dads can experience peer pressure and conflicts with other adults. Author Wiseman provides tools to handle difficult situations involving teachers and other parents with grace: how to recognize the archetypal moms and dads--from Caveman Dad to Hovercraft Mom; how and when to step in and step out of your child's conflicts with other children, parents, teachers, or coaches; how to interpret the code phrases other parents use to avoid (or provoke) confrontation; how to have respectful yet honest conversations with other parents when your values are in conflict; how the way you handle parties, risky behavior, and academic performance affects your child. Wiseman offers practical advice and useful scripts to help you navigate difficult but necessary conversations, and offers the tools to become wiser, more relaxed parents--and the inspiration to set the kind of example that will make a real difference in our children's lives.--From publisher description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,409,707 books! | Top bar: Always visible