The Universe: A Biography by John Gribbin

The Universe: A Biography (2006)

by John Gribbin

English (4)  Italian (1)  All (5)
An interesting and mostly understandable account of the the universe's physical phenomena over the course of its life from birth to present, covering the very small to the very large. The writing is not particularly vivid or inspiring, and the writer does not sufficiently bring to life what is largely a lifeless topic. The most interesting parts were those at the end dealing with the origins of the life and the evidence for organic molecules in space. Nevertheless, it is a worthwhile read to gain a grasp of current knowledge in particle and astrophysics, without being mind blowing. ( )
  stuster | Mar 31, 2009 |
Another cracking book by Gribbin. He really does churn out quality time after time.

This book is a whistle-stop tour, a quick biography of our universe. I really enjoyed the "how do we know the things we think we know?" chapter and also his careful distinction between what we think we KNOW and what we THINK we know.

Accessible, informative and entertaining. Helpful glossary.

Recommended. ( )
  psiloiordinary | Jun 10, 2008 |
This is the best overview of the current thinking on cosmology that I've read in some time. It covers more ground than Steven Weinberg's The First Three Minutes and brings it up to date. I've started reading it a second time and will use it as a reference for a long time to come.

It has plenty of big numbers and it is desperately in need of some illustrations, a graph even, to put these into context. Unlike Weinberg's book, you don't get the maths at the end (or at all) so you'll have to go elsewhere for that kind of detail. This despite the fact that anyone capable of making sense of the numbers will also be at ease with the equations that use them. Still, that's popular science for you. ( )
  Kemloch | Apr 26, 2008 |
Be sure not to croak in the next decade, or you will miss out on knowing such things as why the universe is the way it is and where life originated. Frontiers of (mostly) fundamental physics and cosmology, very well described.
  fpagan | Apr 16, 2007 |

Come ha potuto l'Universo svilupparsi da una minuscola palla di fuoco fino a raggiungere le dimensioni attuali? Come si formano i pianeti e quale sarà la loro fine? Da dove proviene la vita sulla Terra? E come è nata l'intelligenza umana? John Gribbin, tra i migliori divulgatori scientifici, racconta la storia più spettacolare che si possa immaginare, quella del Cosmo. A partire dal Big Bang 14 miliardi di anni fa, dalla formazione delle stelle e galassie fino alle più audaci ipotesi sulla materia oscura e alle proposte di una grande teoria del tutto (e ancora oltre). Fino all'eventualità che l'Universo muoia nello schianto del Big Crounch o nel "lamento" della dilatazione senza fine.
(piopas)

Making cosmology accessible to everyone, John Gribbin navigates the frontiers of scientific discovery to tell us what we really know about the history of the universe - and what we only think we know.

Yale University Press

2 editions of this book were published by Yale University Press.

Editions: 0300119984, 0300125968

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,433,844 books! | Top bar: Always visible