dismiss

Let the Hurricane Roar by Rose Wilder Lane

Let the Hurricane Roar (1932)

by Rose Wilder Lane

After getting married and settling at Wild Plum Creek, David's and Caroline's lives are turned upside down when disaster strikes and David must go east to find work for the winter.
Member:SaintSunniva
Title:Let the Hurricane Roar
Authors:Rose Wilder Lane
Info:Longmans, Green and Co., 152 pages, February 1936
Rating:*****
Tags:South Dakota, Plains, Homesteading, Young Married Couple, Shabby orange buckram library rebound, Memoir

Let the Hurricane Roar by Rose Wilder Lane (1932)

Recently added byprivate library, tarpfarmer, LaurelBardwell, rachaelcoe, SaintSunniva, Hummermum, cc1271, mrlibrarian
Legacy LibrariesAyn Rand, Rose Wilder Lane

I don't think I've ever read this book. I read all the Laura Ingalls Wilder books, but this one by her daughter, just wasn't familiar. I would so hate to be a pioneer. UGH. ( )
1 vote RobertaLea | Aug 8, 2019 |
** spoiler alert ** I loved this book.
The beginning story of Charles and Caroline when they were first married, moved out west, and lived in a dugout. They counted on their wheat crop that they had planted to provide for them. Unfortunately, locusts came and destroyed the crop, forcing Charles to go east to find work. Caroline had a rough time without him, but made it through. I had forgotten about their first child, a son named Charles. ( )
1 vote vintage-series-Lisa | Jun 17, 2019 |
I read the version of this story where the main characters are Charles and Caroline.
I really enjoyed the story and how their life together began. ( )
  cubsfan3410 | Sep 1, 2018 |
Previously published as: Let the hurricane roar.
  Bookman1954 | Feb 17, 2015 |
Read during Summer 2006

Short and sweet story of a young couple on the Dakota plains, trying to survive out a living and earn a homestead. There were a few familar themes from the Little House books (locust, blizzards) but it was so short that the story never really took off and it was over before it even developed. There were also a few odd typos when the character David inexplicably became Charles.
  amyem58 | Jul 14, 2014 |
While they were children playing together, they said they would be married as soon as they were old enough, and when they were old enough they married.
Let The Hurricane Roar (Republished as: Young Pioneers)

Legacy Library: Rose Wilder Lane

Rose Wilder Lane has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Rose Wilder Lane's legacy profile.

See Rose Wilder Lane's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,737,653 books! | Top bar: Always visible