Q Is For Quarry by Sue Grafton

Q Is For Quarry (original 2002; edition 2003)

by Sue Grafton

Title:Q Is For Quarry
Authors:Sue Grafton
Info:Berkley (2003), Edition: First Edition, Paperback

Q Is For Quarry by Sue Grafton (2002)

Recently added bymageerehab, LitaVore, aburk0204, bacoff, marinerlibrary, SuzanDue, KimSalyers, private library, marolyn

English (43)  Spanish (1)  All languages (44)
This is book 17 in the Kinsey Millhone series and though this is the first book of the series I have read, there was no problem with reading out of order. I enjoyed this book so much I am planning to read others in this series.

Kinsey Millhone is a private detective in Santa Theresa, California and she has just joined forces the two Santa Theresa homicide detectives in an attempt to identify the victim of an 18-year-old cold case.

The detectives are Con Dolan, a 30 year veteran who has been side-lined with a heart attack and Stacey Oliphant a retired veteran cop who’s cancer has come out of remission. Con had approached Kinsey for her help in an effort to pull Stacey from a deep depression.

The combination of these three is a treat to a jaded reader. The relationship between these three grows and evolves throughout the story. The cold case while police procedural is humanized by a skillful author. ( )
  Bettesbooks | Sep 27, 2016 |
I'd say that Grafton did a much better job with this book of the series all round. Especially in the mixing of Millhone's family history and the mystery. Usually the books seem a bit jumbled to me whenever personal stuff is thrown in, like she's cramming too much in and doesn't really know how to balance it. This was a much better read in my opinion. ( )
  lamotamant | Sep 22, 2016 |
I recommend this book. It's a good read. Those who follow Sue Grafton's series know how Kinsey Milhone always seems to get herself over her head in cases she doesn't get paid for. Her investigations are almost all exhausting non stop adventures..... Banjo ( )
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
I didn't realize I already read this one a few months ago (Before I discovered Goodreads!) and I really liked it. I read the early books in the series years ago, and this was sort of a reintroduction. Love Sue Grafton, she consistently top notch, it was like seeing an old friend. ( )
  TeeMc | Mar 11, 2016 |
This is part of a series of books following a female American detective.
This particular book has her joining a couple of retirees looking at the unsolved murder of a young female many years before.
I don't know if it was because it was a book I kept picking up and putting down so often that didn't build up a proper interest in the story, but I didn't find this book particularly engrossing. ( )
  quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |

Grafton, Sueprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Holleman, WimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaye, JudyReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bill Turner and Deborah Linden
Bob and Nancy Failing
Susan and Gary Gulbransen.
Thank you for making this one possible.
It was Wednesday, the second week in April, and Santa Teresa was making a wanton display of herself.

Q is for Quarry is based on an unsolved homicide that occurred in 1969, and Grafton's interest in the case has generated renewed police efforts. During the past year, the body was exhumed and a nationally known forensic artist did the facial reconstruction that appears in the closing pages of Q is for Quarry. Both Grafton and the dedicated members of the Santa Barbara Sheriff's Department are hoping the photograph will trigger memories that may lead to a positive identification.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0399149155, Hardcover)

Private investigator Kinsey Millhone has served Sue Grafton well through 16 letters of the alphabet in a perennially popular series that occasionally breaks new ground but more often traverses familiar territory, as is the case here. Two old, ailing cops--one retired, the other disabled--try to breathe some life into an 18-year-old mystery that haunts them both for different reasons. They enlist Kinsey's help in identifying the victim, a young woman who was murdered and left for dead in the old quarry of the title. Neither they nor Kinsey expect that reopening an old case will incite the killer to strike again--not once, but twice. And while the real case of the still-unidentified victim that inspired this fictionalized scenario continues to languish in the cold case file in the Santa Barbara sheriff's office, Grafton's solution is as plausible as any. While the unlikely trio of Millhone and her cranky geezer sidekicks offers a few chuckles, the inner reaches of Kinsey's soul remain largely inaccessible to her as well as to the reader, which will probably not bother most of Kinsey's or Grafton's many admirers. --Jane Adams

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:13 -0400)

Eighteen years after the body of an unidentified young woman is discovered in a quarry off California's Highway 1, two police detectives nearing retirement enlist Kinsey Millhone's aid to help identify the long-ago murder victim.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,705,141 books! | Top bar: Always visible