Q Is For Quarry by Sue Grafton

Q Is For Quarry (original 2002; edition 2003)

by Sue Grafton

Member:wendyrs
Title:Q Is For Quarry
Authors:Sue Grafton
Info:Berkley (2003), Edition: First Edition, Paperback
Rating:**

Q is for Quarry by Sue Grafton (Author) (2002)

English (32)  Spanish (1)  All languages (33)
This might be my favorite Sue Grafton book of all. It certainly is the one that has stayed in my mind, years after reading it. The story line is interesting but, as in all her books, it is her quirky characters that keep me coming back to the series. The relationship between Kinsey and the two older officers is charming. Loved the Quarter Pounder scene. ( )
  EllsieFind | Dec 25, 2013 |
Admittedly, I jumped into the middle of this series, so maybe I am missing some endearing background info on super sleuth Kinsey Millhone, but she just didn't do it for me. I liked her, but didn't love her. The sidekicks, crabby old guys, were pretty good. Humor was good. But the mystery just unfolded so slowly. Yes, it was a cold case, but still. Not sure how Grafton got so far into the alphabet with this series...just okay. ( )
  Berly | Sep 22, 2013 |
  cmakny | Aug 14, 2013 |
I first read this book several years ago and it has stuck in my mind ever since then. I think about it often. I was really happy to read it again when it came up this time in my reread of the series and it still has the same appeal it did the first time. When a book can keep you thinking about it for years, the author is definitely doing something right!

Kinsey is contacted by Con Dolan, a police detective that has come up in many of the previous books, to help him with a cold case. He has a friend, one of his early mentors as a detective, who he believes is dying of cancer and needs an interest to keep him alive. He wants to reopen a Jane Doe murder case that they had first investigated 18 years ago. Kinsey is intrigued and joins the investigation.

I don't want to give spoilers but the investigation trail is fascinating to me. How they pick up clues from 18 year old police reports and follow them to the end is really intriguing! The cast of characters they encounter feel like people you know in your everyday life. The settings in the book like the small town and the abandoned condominium development are can be pictured as clearly as if you'd been there yourself. The murderer is unexpected.

Most of this story happens out of Santa Teresa. I don't find myself missing Henry and Rosie though, because the story is so engrossing.

Two more things add a deeper level to this entry in the series. The first is that Kinsey re-encounters her mother's family in a big way. The murder dump site is actually on her family's property and her mother's sister comes to visit her bringing stories and providing photos. The second is that this mystery is based on a true story that Sue Grafton heard about at a dinner party. The sad end to that is, however, that the Jane Doe she heard about has still never been identified or the murderer brought to justice. This kept running through my mind as I was reading and I'm sure it's why this story is so much more poignant than the other stories in the series. This is definitely the best Kinsey yet. ( )
1 vote Mrsbaty | Jun 10, 2013 |
Magnifico affresco dell'incendio spirituale che infiammò l'Europa nel '500, magistralmente scritto. ( )
  Spell.bound | Apr 3, 2013 |

Grafton, SueAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kaye, JudyReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
THIS BOOK IS DEDICATED TO
Bill Turner and Deborah Linden
Bob and Nancy Failing
and
Susan and Gary Gulbransen.
Thank you for making this one possible.
It was Wednesday, the second week in April, and Santa Teresa was making a wanton display of herself.

Q is for Quarry is based on an unsolved homicide that occurred in 1969, and Grafton's interest in the case has generated renewed police efforts. During the past year, the body was exhumed and a nationally known forensic artist did the facial reconstruction that appears in the closing pages of Q is for Quarry. Both Grafton and the dedicated members of the Santa Barbara Sheriff's Department are hoping the photograph will trigger memories that may lead to a positive identification.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0399149155, Hardcover)

Private investigator Kinsey Millhone has served Sue Grafton well through 16 letters of the alphabet in a perennially popular series that occasionally breaks new ground but more often traverses familiar territory, as is the case here. Two old, ailing cops--one retired, the other disabled--try to breathe some life into an 18-year-old mystery that haunts them both for different reasons. They enlist Kinsey's help in identifying the victim, a young woman who was murdered and left for dead in the old quarry of the title. Neither they nor Kinsey expect that reopening an old case will incite the killer to strike again--not once, but twice. And while the real case of the still-unidentified victim that inspired this fictionalized scenario continues to languish in the cold case file in the Santa Barbara sheriff's office, Grafton's solution is as plausible as any. While the unlikely trio of Millhone and her cranky geezer sidekicks offers a few chuckles, the inner reaches of Kinsey's soul remain largely inaccessible to her as well as to the reader, which will probably not bother most of Kinsey's or Grafton's many admirers. --Jane Adams

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:13 -0400)

Eighteen years after the body of an unidentified young woman is discovered in a quarry off California's Highway 1, two police detectives nearing retirement enlist Kinsey Millhone's aid to help identify the long-ago murder victim.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,735,323 books! | Top bar: Always visible