Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly

Lincoln Lawyer (edition 2011)

by Michael Connelly

Title:Lincoln Lawyer
Authors:Michael Connelly
Info:Orion (2011), Paperback, 480 pages

The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly

English (120)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (1)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (128)
I read this for the Just For Fun Challenge which encourages reading one book that has been on the TBR shelf for a long time and without doing a review. I still rated this book though and I enjoyed it. ( )
  Carolee888 | Nov 27, 2015 |
This is not the type of book I would normally read, but I found pleasantly surprised as I read it for my book club.

There were some really good twists and turns, and I really liked the character of Haller. He was someone who could have been seen as despicable, yet despite his sometimes shady dealings, he was incredibly likeable. I don't know if it was entirely realistic that he would remain on such good terms with his exes and most opposing prosecutors, but it was believable enough to work in the book.

The afterword did kind of annoy me, however. I understand the need to kind of close everything out, and provide an update after the concluding events of the novel, but the tone was so different than the rest of the novel, that it really just felt like something separate that was there because it was required. Not because it really added anything to the story as a whole. Granted, we're talking about a few pages in the entire book, but they really bugged me. ( )
  klack128 | Oct 11, 2015 |
very well written. great characters, with a good twist. ( )
  jodiesohl | Aug 13, 2015 |
What can I say? I have another guilty pleasure (no pun intended). Mickey Haller’s father always said “there is nothing more dangerous as an innocent man”. After reading this book I can say those words were definitely proven true. Mickey is a somewhat successful lawyer he really doesn’t want to know if his clients are guilty or not. He happens to run his law practice pretty much out of the back seat of his beloved Lincoln. His “bus bench” and “across from the bond office billboard” advertising has kept him busy but after many years he finally lands a lawyers dream … a franchise case. This dream however, quickly gains the status of a nightmare.

Through the first third of this book Mr. Connelly instructs the reader in the intricacies of the law according the Mickey Haller. In the second half he takes us on a page turning ride to the conclusion. I will definitely be picking up another Mickey Haller book.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
Love the new character Michael Connelly created. I'm also a big fan of his other books, particularly the Harry Bosch series. ( )
  Cleoxcat | May 28, 2015 |

Connelly, Michaelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Grupper, AdamNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There is no client as scary as an innocent man. — J. Michael Haller, criminal defense attorney, Los Angeles, 1962
This is for Daniel F. Daly and Roger O. Mills
The morning air off the Mojave in late winter is as clean and crisp as you'll ever breathe in Los Angeles County.
This work relates to the BOOK and should not be combined with the movie.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316734934, Hardcover)

Best-selling author Michael Connelly, whose character-driven literary mysteries have earned him a wide following, breaks from the gate in the over-crowded field of legal thrillers and leaves every other contender from Grisham to Turow in the dust with this tightly plotted, brilliantly paced, impossible-to-put-down novel.

Criminal defense attorney Mickey Haller's father was a legendary lawyer whose clients included gangster Mickey Cohen (in a nice twist, Cohen's gun, given to Dad then bequeathed to his son, plays a key role in the plot). But Dad also passed on an important piece of advice that's especially relevant when Mickey takes the case of a wealthy Los Angeles realtor accused of attempted murder: "The scariest client a lawyer will ever have is an innocent client. Because if you [screw] up and he goes to prison, it'll scar you for life."

Louis Roulet, Mickey's "franchise client" (so-called becaue he's able and willing to pay whatever his defense costs) seems to be the one his father warned him against, as well as being a few rungs higher on the socio-economic ladder than the drug dealers, homeboys, and motorcycle thugs who comprise Mickey's regular case load. But as the holes in Roulet's story tear Mickey's theory of the case to shreds, his thoughts turn more to Jesus Menendez, a former client convicted of a similar crime who's now languishing in San Quentin. Connelly tellingly delineates the code of legal ethics Mickey lives by: "It didn't matter...whether the defendant 'did it' or not. What mattered was the evidence against him--the proof--and if and how it could be neutralized. My job was to bury the proof, to color the proof a shade of gray. Gray was the color of reasonable doubt." But by the time his client goes to trial, Mickey's feeling a few very reasonable doubts of his own.

While Mickey's courtroom pyrotechnics dazzle, his behind-the-scenes machinations and manipulations are even more incendiary in this taut, gripping novel, which showcases all of Connelly's literary gifts. There's not an excess sentence or padded paragraph in it--what there is, happily, is a character who, like Harry Bosch, deserves a franchise series of his own. --Jane Adams

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:15 -0400)

Representing the system's most unsavory characters in his work as a criminal defense lawyer, jaded attorney Mickey Haller takes on his first high-paying and possibly innocent client in years, but finds the case complicated by sinister events that suggest the workings of a particularly evil perpetrator.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,854,618 books! | Top bar: Always visible