Just Grace by Charise Mericle Harper

Just Grace (2007)

by Charise Mericle Harper

3882027,669 (3.65)4

Review: Grace is introduced as this is the first book in the series. In this book she concocts a plan to cheer up her next door neighbor Mrs. Luther. Mrs. Luther has a cat named Crinkles whom comes to visit Augustine Dupre often whom lives in Grace's basement. Grace decides to make and mail postcards that are from Crinkles to Mrs. Luther. Grace accidentally locks Crinkles in Mrs. Dupre's living quarters. Sammy stringer has been visiting Mrs. Luther, but took something of hers for show and tell without asking first. Mrs. Luther thinks the postcards are from him and they are ransom letters, Grace fesses up about her being the one sending the letters. Grace and Sammy team up to find Crinkles, which they do and he is returned to Mrs. Luther. Comments: The book is written in a way that young girls would enjoy. The illustrations throughout the book enhance the story and will help keep the reader interested. The book is full of humor meant for children, but I found most of the humor funny and entertaining also. ( )
  Viona1987 | Dec 5, 2016 |
Summary: Grace, also known as "just Grace" because there are three other girls named grace in her class, comes up with an idea to cheer up her neighbor.Her neighbors name is Mrs. Luther, and she has a sweet little cat named crinkle. Ever since she broke her leg, crinkle has been acting funny around her. Grace makes a photo-cardboard standup of Crinkle and takes pictures of it around town which she then makes into postcards to send to Mrs Luther from the cat. But her postcard mailings coincide with the disappearance of Crinkle and Mrs. Luther thinks the cat has been kidnapped by Grace’s classmate Sammy. Grace does not like sammy even a little bit. Grace has to admit to the project and then must pair up with Sammy to help find Crinkle.

Personal Reaction: I thought this was a fun read! It was light-hearted and easy to be drawn into. I think children who are just really starting to enjoy reading would be really excited to read this book.

Classroom extension:
1. I would have the kids write an alternate ending to the story. To use their imagination and tell their own version!
2. I would do an art project. I would have each of the kids bring a picture of their pet from home, then provide cardboard. They would trace the picture with cardboard and then glue the picture to the cardboard cut out!
  Shelby_Booker1214 | Oct 27, 2016 |
First there was Ramona Quimby. Then Clementine, and now, while we're wishing for more installments about them, we have Grace Stewart - the 4th Grace in her classroom, and so called Just Grace. She's implausibly precocious, good, and wise, awfully good at drawing comics, and not too sure how she feels about boys and boy things (like drawing comics about heroes with special powers).

She's not quite as charming, imo, nor do I empathize with her parents quite so much, as I do the first two characters mentioned, but I will be looking at my library for more from the series. After all, I did laugh out loud, and share some sweet bits, with my family while I was reading. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Inspired by her favorite show “Unlikely Heroes,” Grace (or “Just Grace,” her name in class because there are 3 other girls named Grace) comes up with an idea to cheer up her neighbor Mrs. Luther. Since Mrs. Luther broke her leg, her cat Crinkles has been gun-shy about the woman’s orange cast. Grace makes a photo-cardboard standup of Crinkle and takes pictures of it around town which she then makes into postcards to send to Mrs Luther from the cat. But her postcard mailings coincide with the disappearance of Crinkle and Mrs. Luther thinks the cat has been kidnapped by Grace’s classmate Sammy, a boy Grace can’t stand. Grace must ‘fess up to the project and she and Sammy work together to find Crinkle. Cheery, upbeat and funny.
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Cute story for middle graders. Great illustrations and plot. Loved the characters ( )
  Erika.D | Jan 28, 2016 |
For my Mother, who is full of grace.
I did not get to be the helper to Mister Magic the Magician at my very own (so it should have been me) sixth birthday party because Sammy Stringer spit purple grape juice all over my special white shirt with a big six on it, and I had to change it right when Mister Magic was starting up.

The third-grader Grace Stewart gets stuck with the name “Just Grace” when she tries to distinguish herself from the three other Graces in her class. Grace is plenty different, though. She has a “teeny-tiny superpower,” for instance—she can tell if someone is unhappy and often tries to fix it. When she concocts an elaborate scheme to help her neighbor Mrs. Luther feel less lonely, however, her good intentions backfire rather dramatically. Headlines such as “What Happened At Home That Was Completely Surprising” and “Spying For A Good Reason Is Not Bad” keep things lively, as do various lists (“Boy Things,” “Rooms You Can Jump In”), comic strips, and the author’s cartoonish spot art. A funny glimpse into a third-grader’s madcap world of dashed hopes, perceived enemies, possible friends, cats, and sandwiches.
Don’t miss the Just Grace website www.justgracebooks.com with its superpower quiz, podcasts, excerpts, and downloads . . . or the other books in the Just Grace series: Still Just Grace, Just Grace Goes Green, Just Grace Walks the Dog, Just Grace and the Snack Attack, Just Grace and the Terrible Tutu, and Just Grace and the Double Surprise!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:29 -0400)

Misnamed by her teacher, seven-year-old Just Grace prides herself on being empathetic, but when she tries to help a neighbor feel better, her good intentions backfire.

Charise Mericle Harper is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,458,437 books! | Top bar: Always visible