The Missing by Chris Mooney

The Missing (2007)

by Chris Mooney

English (10)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  All (13)
Great characters and a plot with a few twists result in a fast-paced thriller that was an enjoyable read. ( )
  PhillipThomas | Apr 13, 2017 |
The Missing
4 Stars

Synopsis
In 1984, three young girls witness an attack on a young woman in the woods and become the target of a serial killer. Only one , Darby McCormick, survives. Years later, Darby is a forensic investigator called to the scene of a teenage abduction. As the evidence piles up, Darby finds herself tracking a psychopathic serial killer known only as the Traveler and soon comes face-to-face with the terror from her nightmares.

Review
A well-written, fast paced and intricate thriller.

While the serial killer plot is not that original (reminiscent of Patterson's Kiss the Girls), there are some excellent twists that keep you turning the pages. There are also sufficient clues to figure out the killer's identity, and as such it is not that much of a surprise. There is, however, one more unexpected twist right at the end.

The characters are well-developed and likeable, especially the heroine. So often, female investigators come across as cold and humorless but that is not the case for Darby McCormick. The forensic details are interesting and never become excessively technical.

The story is well-crafted but not nearly as creepy as I though it would be. For a truly disturbing, lock all your doors read, I recommend Fear Itself by Jonathan Nasaw. There are also several glaring editing errors in the hardcover copy that tend to distract from the overall flow.

All in all, an entertaining thriller and I will definitely be continuing with the series. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
I loved this book. The action started immediately and did not stop until the very end. The twists and turns gripped you until the very end. I also found myself really enjoying Darby's character. Her feelings and emotions are very realistic. ( )
  jguidry | May 31, 2016 |
In 1984, a woman is strangled in the woods around Belham, Massachusetts, the killer is unexpectedly seen by three teenage girls. He later tracks down the teenagers and kills two of them, but the third one (Darby McCormick) barely manages to escape his vengeful wrath. That incident haunts Darby for the rest of her life and is one of the primary reasons that she becomes a crime-scene investigator for the Boston Police Department.

Shift to the present day and we find Darby is working hard and enjoying her life. Then she is assigned to work a new case that involves a teenage girl being forcibly taken from her home by an unknown killer. While working the crime scene, Darby finds one of the victims hiding beneath the porch of a recent victim's house and soon discovers that the killer has done this many times before. What Darby doesn't realize is that "The Traveler" is back in town and that he has his eyes dead-set on her. He wants the one that got away and will stop at nothing to get what he wants.

This is a fast paced thriller that will keep you turning the page and wanting more long after the book is finished. Darby McCormick is a down to earth, real protagonist with whom most readers can readily relate.

Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
I finally finished The Missing - I found I couldn't read it during the work week as it was a bit too creepy for just before bed, and I kept forgetting threads of the story when I could only read in snippets. But when I was able to settle into it, I really enjoyed it. Still kind of creepy, especially the parts told from the perspective of the killer... ( )
  Booklover889 | Feb 25, 2016 |
Im menschlichen Herzen gibt es Orte, die noch nicht existieren; in sie drint das Leiden, damit sie zur Existenz gelangen. Léon Bloy
Für Jens, der mir erklärt hat, wie, und für Jackson, der mir erklärt hat, warum.
Darby McCormick nahm ihre Freundin Melanie beim Arm und zog sie mit sich in den dichten Wald hinein.

When Boston CSI Darby McCormick finds a raving and emaciated woman hiding at the scene of a violent kidnap, she runs a DNA search to identify the Jane Doe. The result confirms she was abducted five years earlier and has somehow managed to escape from a dungeon in which she's been caged.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:47 -0400)

Simple answers to children's questions about comets and meteors. What are they? Where do they come from? Where do they go? Why do they glow?

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,747,195 books! | Top bar: Always visible