101 Best-Loved Poems by Mcgraw-Hill School

101 Best-Loved Poems (original 1916; edition 2001)

by Mcgraw-Hill School

Member:kbuchanan
Title:101 Best-Loved Poems
Authors:Mcgraw-Hill School
Info:McGraw-Hill Companies Inc. (2001), Hardcover, 184 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Poetry

One Hundred and One Famous Poems by Roy J. Cook (Editor) (1916)

I have this book in two editions -- one dating from the early 20th century and another from the 1990s. The earlier one has been read more. There's a certain thrill to read a poem with a little inset portrait of the poet above it, and the poet's dates of birth and death under the picture -- only the date of death is not yet filled in because the poet was alive when the book was published. ( )
  Murphy-Jacobs | Mar 30, 2013 |
I grew up with this book in the house and have turned to it countless times over the years. Merely by inclusion in this book, a poem became an automatic classic to me. The selection is varied and enjoyable. Although looking at the paperback versions I see pictured in "Popular Covers", it just doesn't seem quite the same as the vintage version I have. ( )
  datrappert | Sep 30, 2012 |
There is an inscription in this frojmj 1944, my first summer at camp in North Carloina, Camp Carlyle. It was an award. I loved the poems. especially The Highwayman and Trees. Truly favorites ( )
  carterchristian1 | Aug 29, 2010 |
Terrific photographs and engravings, portraits of poets, accompany each poem. Some are still well known after 81 years, like Kipling, but others are obscure today.
  mdwag | Jun 16, 2010 |
This does truly contains most of my favourite poems. It has 'Charge of the Light Brigade' (Tennyson),'Trees' (Kilmer),'Recessional' & 'If' (Kipling),'Song of the Shirt (Hood).'Mercy' & 'Soliquy from Hamlet'(Shakespeare),'Abou Ben Adhem' (Leigh Hunt),'The Bells' & 'The Raven' (Poe),'Sea Fever'(Masefield),'The Highwayman' (Noyes),'The Spider and the Fly' (Howitt) and many others.
A nice handy size and shape to slip into the pocket too.
On a personal note,this is one of the books which has been in my possession the longest. It is also a bit of a mystery as somewhere along the line it has lost its introduction (does begin at the first poem as luck would have it) It has also lost page 59-60,so if anyone out there can help with either of the missing page information I would be most obliged. ( )
  devenish | Jun 12, 2010 |
Preface: This is the age of science, of steel - of speed and the cement road.
Not to be confused with the similarly-titled anthology, One Hundred and One Best-Loved Poems, edited by Philip Smith (2001)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0809288311, Leather Bound)

The classic poetry anthology.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:19 -0400)

Nature, man and human history are reflected on in the verse of English and American poets and such prose works as the Gettysburg Address and the Declaration of Independence

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,280,585 books! | Top bar: Always visible