Old Woman Who Lived In a Vinegar Bottle by…

Old Woman Who Lived In a Vinegar Bottle

by Margaret Read MacDonald

A British Fairy Tale about being content with what you have.
  JudesThree | Mar 9, 2013 |
I have read many of the "there was an old lady that...." but I had never read this one and I loved it! It is great story for teaching kids about greed, appreciating what they have and complaining all of the time. It is a story of a little old lady that lived in a vinegar bottle and she wished she lived in a little cottage. A fairy comes and grants her with but she is still complaining and not happy The fairy comes back over and over granting her wish and giving the lady a better home. In the end the old lady wants to be the empress of the universe.The fair comes back one last time and sends her back to her vinegar bottle figuring that the old lady will never stop complaining or be happy so she might as well live in the vinegar bottle. ( )
  Schuman | Jan 26, 2012 |
This is a British fairy tale about an old woman who lives in a vinegar bottle who complains about her homes, not matter how nice they become. The old woman never thanks the fairy who transforms her homes into something nicer. The fairy grows frustrated with the selfish old woman so she transforms the old woman's home as the Empress of the Universe back into a vinegar bottle. This book teaches a good lesson about being happy with what you have and that happiness comes from your heart, not your personal possessions. The illustrations are done in ink and watercolor in a variety of vibrant colors. This is a fun story for read alouds or storytelling and good for children because of the repetition of the repeated phrases. ( )
  LisaBohman | Apr 17, 2011 |
The old woman in this story wishes for a better place to live. Each time she wishes and it comes true, she thinks the next wish will make her even happier. Finally ends up back in her old vinegar bottle. The fairy finally comes to the conclusion that some people are never content.

Good story, it tells us sometimes we need to be happy with what we have.

A teacher could use this to illustrate that we are not as bad off as we think we are and be happy with what you have. ( )
  asousley | Jan 25, 2010 |
We all know this story, though many of us may know it as "The Fisherman and his Wife".

Here's a woman who's chronically unhappy with her lot in life. And to start with, who can blame her? She lives in a vinegar bottle, for crying out loud!

But it doesn't matter WHAT you do to help her, she's just bound and determined to want more and more and more. (And she never says thank you, either. No wonder even her benefactor got fed up with her in the end!)

The pictures aren't quite as good as the cover would indicate, but they're still very pretty, and my nieces loved reciting along with me "Oh, what a pity, what a pity pity pity" and "If that's what she wants, that's what she'll get." ( )
  conuly | Nov 6, 2009 |

Oh what a pity, what a pity pity pity! With this refrain, the old woman in the vinegar bottle complains until she gets a cottage ... then a row house ... then a mansion ... How far will she move up before she's satisfied? Storyteller and children's librarian Margaret Read MacDonald pairs a whiny old woman with a no-nonsense fairy in a comical tale of ever-expanding greed and its natural result. Nancy Dunaway Fowlkes's expansive India ink and watercolor illustrations capture MacDonald's high-spirited rendering of this old British fairy tale.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:00 -0400)

In this British variant of a traditional tale, an ungrateful woman who complains constantly about her house is granted increasingly grandiose wishes by a fairy.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,923,466 books! | Top bar: Always visible