Girl in Hyacinth Blue by Susan Vreeland

Girl in Hyacinth Blue (original 1999; edition 2000)

by Susan Vreeland

Member:SqueakyChu
Title:Girl in Hyacinth Blue
Authors:Susan Vreeland
Info:Penguin Books (2000), Paperback, 256 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:artists, painting

Girl in Hyacinth Blue by Susan Vreeland (1999)

Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier (Nickelini)
    Nickelini: Both books are historical fiction surrounding a Vermeer painting, but The Girl with the Pearl Earring is a far superior book.
    People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: Both well written, and both follow an art object from end to beginning, through the hands of those who once owned it.
    The Passion of Artemisia by Susan Vreeland (conceptDawg)

quick read that stays with you long after you're done - evocative vignettes about the power of art on the people whose lives were touched by a certain piece, and interesting lessons in the techniques and motivations of the artist - especially interesting in that so many of the people interpreted the art differently, even though it was just" a portrait and therefore may not seem to be as subject to interpretation as would abstract art seem to be" ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I loved Susan Vreeland's "Forest Lover", so I was excited to try another one of her books. Sadly, for me, the book was confusing. It starts at a point, and then travels backwards in progression so that the beginning is at the end. Each chapter is a different set of characters telling their story. I wasn't able to sit down and read all the way through at once, and it was difficult for me to remember who the previous chapter had been about. It was hard for me to stay interested in the book for this reason. ( )
  cobygirl517 | Mar 14, 2016 |
A previously "undiscovered" Vermeer is revealed and the author traces its ownership back in time to its origination. Each owner (or custodian) has a slightly different reason for wanting to keep the painting, and different reasons for letting it go. Each time it changes hands, the owner is pained to part with it. And still, for everyone it represents longing and wishes unfulfilled. ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 9, 2016 |
Have you ever wondered what story a painting might tell if it could speak? This book tells such a story, but rather than writing one narrative the author gives us several brief glimpses of an imaginary Vermeer painting through the centuries in seemingly unconnected short stories.

I thought this was a fascinating read, beautifully and vividly written, about the effect a work of art has on people and the emotions it evokes. My only complaint would be that I wanted more than just a snapshot of the different storylines, but, having said that, the book felt rather more substantial and satisfying than a mere 180 pages would suggest. ( )
  SabinaE | Jan 23, 2016 |
Really? In comparison to "Girl With a Pearl Earring" this book was sorely lacking, we never really got to know any of the characters, the first 2/3 was tragic, the characters seemed to be quite secondary to the story Painting itself.... Even the story of the painting's provenance was boring.....
I read this while taking a break from my cleaning, but I just did not enjoy it, in fact I didn't even care about the characters. The least Vreeland might have done (or the publisher) was to put the painting in question on the cover of the book.... But oh no, I had to Google it....
I'm seriously thinking that I'll not read another of Vreeland's books, I do not like being disappointed in my reading selections, which is why I've cut back on my cookbook reviews.... I want to read about characters who engage my curiosity, who have redeeming qualities, who are not boring... and I want the books I read to be the same..... ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |

Susan Vreelandprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Holleman, WimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thou still unravished bride of quietness
Thou foster-child of Silence and slow Time...
Thou, silent form! dost tease us out of thought
As doth eternity.
- John Keats, 1819
O ongeschonden bruid van stille vrede,
pleegkind van den tijd die langzaam gaat...
Jij doet ons denken hoog ter aard'uit stijgen
zoals de eeuwigheid.
For Scott Godfrey, D.O., and Peter Falk, M.D.
Cornelius Engelbrecht invented himself. (Love Enough)
She thought of all the people in all the paintings she had seen that day, not just Father's, in all the paintings of the world, in fact. Their eyes, the particular turn of a head, their loneliness or suffering or grief was borrowed by an artist to be seen by other people throughout the years who would never see them face to face. People who would be that close to her, she thought, a matter of a few arms' lengths, looking, looking, and they would never know her.

Love Enough

A Night Different From All Other Nights

Adagia

Hyacinth Blues

Morningshine

From the Personal Papers of Adriaan Kuypers

Still Life

Magdalena Looking.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 014029628X, Paperback)

There are only 35 known Vermeers extant in the world today. In Girl in Hyacinth Blue, Susan Vreeland posits the existence of a 36th. The story begins at a private boys' academy in Pennsylvania where, in the wake of a faculty member's unexpected death, math teacher Cornelius Engelbrecht makes a surprising revelation to one of his colleagues. He has, he claims, an authentic Vermeer painting, "a most extraordinary painting in which a young girl wearing a short blue smock over a rust-colored skirt sat in profile at a table by an open window." His colleague, an art teacher, is skeptical and though the technique and subject matter are persuasively Vermeer-like, Engelbrecht can offer no hard evidence--no appraisal, no papers--to support his claim. He says only that his father, "who always had a quick eye for fine art, picked it up, let us say, at an advantageous moment." Eventually it is revealed that Engelbrecht's father was a Nazi in charge of rounding up Dutch Jews for deportation and that the picture was looted from one doomed family's home:
That's when I saw that painting, behind his head. All blues and yellows and reddish brown, as translucent as lacquer. It had to be a Dutch master. Just then a private found a little kid covered with tablecloths behind some dishes in a sideboard cabinet. We'd almost missed him.
By the end of "Love Enough," this first of eight interrelated stories tracing the history of "Girl in Hyacinth Blue," the painting's fate at the hands of guilt-riddled Engelbrecht fils is in question. Unfortunately, there is no doubt about the probable destiny of the previous owners, the Vredenburg family of Rotterdam, who take center stage in the powerful "A Night Different From All Other Nights." Vreeland handles this tale with subtlety and restraint, setting it at Passover, the year before the looting, and choosing to focus on the adolescent Hannah Vredenburg's difficult passage into adulthood in the face of an uncertain future. In the next story, "Adagia," she moves even further into the past to sketch "how love builds itself unconsciously ... out of the momentous ordinary" in a tender portrait of a longtime marriage. Back and back Vreeland goes, back through other owners, other histories, to the very inception of the painting in the homely, everyday objects of the Vermeer household--a daughter's glass of milk, a son's shirt in need of buttons, a wife's beloved sewing basket--"the unacknowledged acts of women to hallow home." Girl in Hyacinth Blue ends with the painting's subject herself, Vermeer's daughter Magdalena, who first sends the portrait out into the world as payment for a family debt, then sees it again, years later at an auction.
In this final passage, Susan Vreeland might be describing her own masterpiece as well as Vermeer's. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:19 -0400)

Eight linked stories tracing the history of a painting by the 17th century Dutch artist, Vermeer. In one, he paints his daughter to pay off debts, a second story describes the loss of the ownership papers, a third takes place on the eve of its theft by the Nazis. By the author of What Love Sees.… (more)

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,524,578 books! | Top bar: Always visible