The White Lioness (Inspector Wallander…

The White Lioness (Inspector Wallander Mysteries) (original 1993; edition 2009)

by Henning Mankell, Laurie Thompson (Translator)

Member:janrkul
Title:The White Lioness (Inspector Wallander Mysteries)
Authors:Henning Mankell
Other authors:Laurie Thompson (Translator)
Info:Vintage Books (2009), Editie: paperback / softback, Paperback, 565 pagina's

The White Lioness by Henning Mankell (1993)

The Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth (charlie68)
    charlie68: Both fictional works of assination of famous figures.

English (53)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (4)  German (2)  Italian (2)  French (2)  Norwegian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (70)
The White Lioness by Henning Mankell; (4 1/2*); (Kurt Wallander, bk 3);

I found The White Lioness to be a great surprise and an excellent read. Mankell's novel is impressive in many ways and on many levels. The characters are quite compelling. Wallander and the entire cast of Swedish police officers are wonderfully human, with a realistic mix of goof offs and good guys. The bad guys are portrayed with depth as well. They are terribly evil and coldblooded but also incredibly resourceful and quite realistically so. The historic events and characters are not unbelievable which is a big plus when reading.
I thought this to be a thrilling tale with human and realistic well rounded characters. I liked it a great deal. ( )
  rainpebble | Aug 16, 2016 |
Coming from South Africa, I found the historical inaccuracies irritating and the bias disturbing. I will read the rest of the series as I enjoy the Wallander character. ( )
  Hanneri | Feb 29, 2016 |
What starts out as the routine investigation of the execution-style murder of a Swedish housewife turns into the discovery of a plot to assassinate Nelson Mandela in South Africa. Kurt Wallander conducts the investigation in his usual dogged manner, neglecting his health and family in the process, ultimately leading to a personal crisis. The narrative alternates between Wallander and his colleagues trying to uncover what a Russian ex-KGB agent and a black South African are up to in Sweden and South African intelligence agents trying to uncover the masterminds behind a plot to murder Nelson Mandela. There are a lot of twists and turns, along with the usual character detail that I love about the Wallander novels. ( )
  terran | Feb 18, 2016 |
Audiobook. I found this a fascinating bok because most of what is important happens outside of Sweden and outside of control or understanding of Wallender. This is the world. We like to think we're in control. The world is a very big place. ( )
  idiotgirl | Dec 25, 2015 |
"The White Lioness," is the 3rd. in the "Kurt Wallander" series. This novel is two stories existing in the same book. I found that the stories blended well together and taken separately could be two novellas. Kurt, a man who consistently eats sandwiches tried a pizza this time. The story is fast paced, and the author has a good insight into the Apartheid system.
I fast read a few pages because too much time was spent on Kurt's mental state. I enjoyed the book, even though the end held no big surprise. ( )
  delta61 | Jul 17, 2015 |

Henning Mankellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jänisniemi, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Puleo, GiorgioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thompson, LaurieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Så länge vi fortsätter att värdera människor olika i vårt land, beroende på färgen på deras hud, kommer vi att lida av det som Sokrates kallar lögnen i djupet av vår själ. (Sydafrikas premiärminister Jan Hofmeyr 1946)

(Vem vågar leka när lejonen ryter). Afrikanskt ordspråk
English Translation : As long as we assign value to the people of our country on the basis of their skin colour, we will force them to endure what Socrates termed the lie at the depths of our souls. Jan Hofmeyr, 1946
English translation : Who dares to play while the lion roars? African Proverb
Sent på eftermiddagen den 21 april 1918 träffades tre män på ett obemärkt café i stadsdelen Kensington i Johannesburg.
Louise Akerblom, an estate agent, left the Savings Bank in Skurup shortly after 3.00 in the afternoon on Friday, April 24.  (English)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0099464691, Mass Market Paperback)

In peaceful southern Sweden, Louise Akerblom, an estate agent, pillar of the Methodist church, wife and mother, disappears. There is no explanation and no motive. Inspector Kurt Wallander and his team are called in to investigate. As Inspector Wallander is introduced to this missing persons case, he has a gut feeling that the victim will never be found alive, but he has no idea how far he will have to go in search of the killer. In South Africa, meanwhile Nelson Mandela has made his long walk to freedom. Wallander find himself caught up in a conspiracy involving renegade members of the South African secret service and a former KGB agent, all of them set upon halting Mandela's rise to power. Faced with a world in which terrorism knows no frontiers Wallander must prevent a hideous crime that means to dam the tide of history.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:20 -0400)

Swedish inspector Kurt Wallender investigates the murder of a woman whose body was stuffed in a well. The case has international ramifications, involving a plot against Nelson Mandela of South Africa.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,238,376 books! | Top bar: Always visible