The White Lioness (Inspector Wallander…

The White Lioness (Inspector Wallander Mysteries) (original 1993; edition 2009)

by Henning Mankell, Laurie Thompson (Translator)

Member:janrkul
Title:The White Lioness (Inspector Wallander Mysteries)
Authors:Henning Mankell
Other authors:Laurie Thompson (Translator)
Info:Vintage Books (2009), Editie: paperback / softback, Paperback, 565 pagina's

The White Lioness by Henning Mankell (1993)

Recently added byamy217, ffortsa, cameling, Gerca, SigmundFraud, vickybagnall, librarypal1, private library, amyem58

English (45)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (4)  German (2)  Italian (2)  Norwegian (1)  French (1)  All languages (60)
Working my way through the Wallanders and still enjoying them very much. This was more ambitious and still successful but the wide variety of plots, as interwoven as they became, started to tire me out. I felt like I was in a 100+ page climax. Perhaps this helped to get the sense of Wallander's complete breakdown into my head a bit more but I did think some of it could have been trimmed without a huge loss. Still, a very worthwhile read and the remaining Wallanders are on the stack.
  amyem58 | Jul 15, 2014 |
This was an interesting mystery involving several themes and a good deal of information related to South Africa and its political and racial climate. But the novel stands on it own as one of the fine examples of Mankell's writing. Number three in the series and 435 pages, it is a must read for Mankell fans and a good introduction to those who are just recognizing this crime author. ( )
1 vote mldavis2 | Jul 5, 2014 |
"A criminal investigation seldom follows regular day-to-day rhythms. It has its own life, its own energy. The clocks of a criminal investigation distort time, sometimes standing still, sometimes racing forward. No-one can know in advance.” (Ch 7)

Louise Akerblom, a Swedish estate agent, leaves her office in Ystad and drives into the surrounding countryside where she is to assess a property. But she never returns. Days later, she is found murdered, execution style: a single bullet to the head. The police, of course, are unaware that in the minutes before her death, she had observed several oddities about the forlorn place she had stopped to ask directions. The average-looking whitewashed house had appeared deserted with its rotting lawn furniture and its overgrown orchard; and yet housed in the barn had been two very expensive automobiles, a Mercedes and a BMW.

Shortly following the discovery of Akerblom’s body, the house where she was murdered is destroyed by high-powered explosives. Investigators find the severed finger of a black man, parts of a radio transmitter, and an unusual handgun, manufactured strictly in South Africa. Before the case is solved, it will lead Wallander and his officers deep into South African politics. They will learn there are white men aplenty, a network of them in fact, willing to do whatever it takes to make certain their interests continued to be served in South Africa – to make certain Apartheid remains intact. ( )
1 vote lit_chick | Apr 5, 2014 |
Not even going to rate this one, since I didn't finish. I expect it wasn't bad, but the fact that I put it down, misplaced it, and totally forgot I was reading it until it was time to take it back to the library tells me I just wasn't that in to it.
  duende | Feb 6, 2014 |

Henning Mankellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jänisniemi, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Puleo, GiorgioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thompson, LaurieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Så länge vi fortsätter att värdera människor olika i vårt land, beroende på färgen på deras hud, kommer vi att lida av det som Sokrates kallar lögnen i djupet av vår själ. (Sydafrikas premiärminister Jan Hofmeyr 1946)

(Vem vågar leka när lejonen ryter). Afrikanskt ordspråk
English Translation : As long as we assign value to the people of our country on the basis of their skin colour, we will force them to endure what Socrates termed the lie at the depths of our souls. Jan Hofmeyr, 1946
English translation : Who dares to play while the lion roars? African Proverb
Sent på eftermiddagen den 21 april 1918 träffades tre män på ett obemärkt café i stadsdelen Kensington i Johannesburg.
Louise Akerblom, an estate agent, left the Savings Bank in Skurup shortly after 3.00 in the afternoon on Friday, April 24.  (English)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0099464691, Mass Market Paperback)

In peaceful southern Sweden, Louise Akerblom, an estate agent, pillar of the Methodist church, wife and mother, disappears. There is no explanation and no motive. Inspector Kurt Wallander and his team are called in to investigate. As Inspector Wallander is introduced to this missing persons case, he has a gut feeling that the victim will never be found alive, but he has no idea how far he will have to go in search of the killer. In South Africa, meanwhile Nelson Mandela has made his long walk to freedom. Wallander find himself caught up in a conspiracy involving renegade members of the South African secret service and a former KGB agent, all of them set upon halting Mandela's rise to power. Faced with a world in which terrorism knows no frontiers Wallander must prevent a hideous crime that means to dam the tide of history.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:57 -0400)

Swedish inspector Kurt Wallender investigates the murder of a woman whose body was stuffed in a well. The case has international ramifications, involving a plot against Nelson Mandela of South Africa.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,653,105 books! | Top bar: Always visible