Breathing Lessons by Anne Tyler

Breathing Lessons (1988)

by Anne Tyler

Recently added byshesinplainview, swsutton, Aaron13, private library, cemagoc, newnoz, MrsFeets74, nicole_lilie, dheijl

English (46)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Hebrew (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (50)
I don't remember much about this, but I do remember being only mildly impressed. So, now I just read [b:The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry|13227454|The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry|Rachel Joyce|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1335816092s/13227454.jpg|18156927] and was reminded of Tyler's story because the two books are both about adults of a certain age reflecting on the past and figuring out how to make the future better - but not doing so on purpose. Well, anyway, Joyce's novel blew me away. If you liked, or wanted to like, this, I bet you'll love that. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
~ Maggie and Ira Moran had to go to a funeral in Deer Lick, Pennsylvania~

I have read three books by Anne Tyler and love her writing. I have 9 others on my bookshelves waiting for me to pick them up. Although I enjoyed this book, I think it is my least favourite. So far, number one is [The Accidental Tourist] and number two, [Ladder of Years]. However, just because it is my least favourite does not mean it is not a great read.

Written about one 24 hour period in the lives of Ira and Maggie Moran, it gives us a snapshot of their life together and the lives of other family and friends around them.

I did find it a startlingly real description of Ira and Maggie’s marriage, an ordinary marriage of ordinary people. I loved the depiction of this couple, of their strong love bond, the understanding they have of one another’s strengths and weaknesses. The kindness and compassion that they show for one another. Oh, sure, there is also frustration and anger and withdrawal from one another. All these things that can co-exist in a marriage; the good, the bad and the ugly. I do find Anne Tyler pleases me!

3. 5 stars
  ccookie | May 3, 2016 |
Maggie Moran, a late-40s mother of two, is often the bain of her family and friends—and even herself—in Anne Tyler's Pulitzer Prize-winning novel [Breathing Lessons]. Maggie is also the bain of many would-be readers of the book; witness the number of LTers who ditched or panned the book because they can't stand Maggie. I won't say I liked her, but I followed her path of misconception, misguidance, mischief, and mayhem all the way to the end, and I am glad I did. A very fine accomplishment, Ms. Tyler. Ordinary people doing their ordinary things are worth a few hours of your time. If you invest some time, you may discover that neither the people nor the things are all that ordinary.

Here's the setup: Maggie is married to Ira, a man who had dreams of doing medical research but now runs a small picture-framing shop. Maggie wanted nothing more than to assist in a nursing home, and that's what she does. Daughter Daisy is intense, capable, but curiously estranged from family; she practically lives with a friend whose mother Maggie calls Mrs. Perfect. Son Jesse is a talent-free loser, a high-school dropout half-heartedly pursuing fame and fortune as a rock performer. He got a girl named Fiona pregnant, married her, and, less than a year after the birth of their daughter, was divorced by her.

Nothing special about the Morans (though Tyler does seem to be signaling us by giving them that name). The shop Ira runs was started by his father Sam who lives in the apartment above it with his two damaged and dependent daughters (Ira's sisters). Upon Ira's high school graduation, Sam announced that he had a heart ailment; Ira would have to take over the shop to support his father and sisters. Partly as a consequence, the author tells us, Ira was "fifty years old and had never accomplished one single act of consequence.''

For her part, Maggie's been belittled by her own mother as well as her daughter. ''How have you let things get so common?'' her mother had once demanded, oblivous to the fact that, though her father was a lawyer, her husband was a garage-door installer. Then not long ago, Daisy asked, "Mom? Was there a certain conscious point in your life when you decided to settle for being ordinary?''

The story recounts a single day in Maggie and Ira's life, devoted to a round trip from Baltimore to a small town in southeastern Pennsylvania, just off Route 1. Maggie's best friend from high school is holding a memorial service for her husband, now dead from cancer. As she starts her car, the radio comes on, tuned to an AM call-in show, and she hears a familiar voice, a caller, telling the host that she first had "married for love" but would now—next weekend—be marrying "for security." Maggie "hears" Fiona admitting she still loves Jesse but that she's marrying someone else in a week. Not much time for Maggie to act!

All her life, what Maggie has wanted to do is help people, to ease friction, smooth the bumps, bring people together, help them to be just as good as she "sees" them being. ''It's Maggie's weakness," Ira explains. "She believes it's all right to alter people's lives. She thinks the people she loves are better than they really are, and so then she starts changing things around to suit her point of view of them.''
  weird_O | Feb 3, 2016 |
Right up front, I feel the need to say I love Anne Tyler. I will read anything she publishes. But, having said that... I find my love for her novels really goes back and forth. I haven't ever strongly disliked anything she's written, but I certainly find some of her books amazing, while others settle around being just fine. And that's okay with me. Tyler does the nuance and undercurrents of marriage and family really well, and there are always moments of humour I appreciate in each of her stories.

In an interview, Tyler once said “I start every book thinking ‘This one will be different’ and it’s not. I have my limitations. I am fascinated by how families work, endurance, how do we get through life." I find these things fascinating too. When I pick up a book by Anne Tyler, I guess it's a bit like picking up a John Irving novel - you may not know the exact story going into the read, but you certainly know what to expect.

So, Breathing Lessons was a good read, but not a great read for me. I liked the concept of 'one day in the life', with flashbacks, as Maggie and Ira Moran navigate their emotional day.

The characters were very well done (save for Jesse and Daisy, to me) and I felt a bit sad for them all. Ira deferred his own dreams of medical school because of a difficult family that put him in charge of their lives, and his dad's picture framing business, when he was only 18yo. Maggie seems to have had a lot of potential in high school, but never really got or felt, I suppose, supported or encouraged - like nothing was ever good enough. Maggie, by the time we meet her, is a bit of a flustering confusion of a woman.

For both Maggie and Ira, life has been a series of disappointments and stifled goals. There are a couple of themes at work here. One is the idea of wastefulness - wasted talent, wasted energies, etc... The other concept revolves around 'ordinary life', which is somehow not okay and should be avoided. (For example: why be a nurse's aide, when you could become a nurse? A nurse's aide is not much better than a waitress, which is not much good at all.)

I think that where I am just a bit stuck is on the idea of 'to what end?' Because we are only spending one day with the Morans, I really didn't expect this to be answered as it really is only one slice of their lives. But I guess I would have enjoyed a bit more exploration - particularly of Maggie's character. Maggie was so hard on herself, critical. And she assumed things about others and how they thought of her, whether accurate or not. And she really exaggerated a lot. It's a bit like putting a puzzle together... but I am not sure all of the pieces are here. Anyway... it's interesting to contemplate this novel and the characters, imagining what becomes of them all.

This book is one being read in one of my groups as a monthly read for February, 2016. I am hoping that the discussions will be active, and I am looking forward to hearing the different perspectives and ideas others take from the read. ( )
  Booktrovert | Jan 31, 2016 |
A delightful novel that takes place in just a single day as a couple drive to and from the funeral of an old friend. Through their conversations and thoughts, and a series of flashbacks, we learn a lot about their personalities, lies and marriage. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |

Schenoni, LuigiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tex, Gideon denTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Villa, SaaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vinga, Sophie PenberthyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Maggie and Ira Moran had to go to a funeral in Deer Lick, Pennsylvania.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345485599, Mass Market Paperback)

Maggie Moran's mission is to connect and unite people, whether they want to be united or not. Maggie is a meddler and as she and her husband, Ira, drive 90 miles to the funeral of an old friend, Ira contemplates his wasted life and the traffic, while Maggie hatches a plant to reunite her son Jesse with his long-estranged wife and baby. As Ira explains, "She thinks the people she loves are better than they really are, and so then she starts changing things around to suit her view of them." Though everyone criticizes her for being "ordinary," Maggie's ability to see the beauty and potential in others ultimately proves that she is the only one fighting the resignation they all fear. The book captured the Pulitzer Prize for literature in 1989.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:04 -0400)

A charming tale of an extraordinary day in the lives of two ordinary people. What begins as a two-hour road trip to a neighboring town turns into an all-day adventure for Ira and Maggie Moran.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,347,477 books! | Top bar: Always visible