dismiss

A Patchwork Planet (1998)

by Anne Tyler

A lovable loser tries to get his life in order. He is Barnaby Gaitlin, 30, the black sheep of a rich Baltimore family, ex-juvenile delinquent who specialized in housebreaking for kicks. He works for Rent-a-Back, moving furniture for old people, and dreams of having a future.

I want to be Anne Tyler when I grow up.

Less ambitiously, if ever somebody was going to write me, write my life, my family, my friends, my fuck-ups, my fuck-downs - which I hope are the very opposite of ups - this is the only person I would want to do it. She'd make it all okay.
  bringbackbooks | Jun 16, 2020 |
I...I think I don't understand the big deal about Anne Tyler? This is my second novel of hers I've read and come away thinking that it could be a mediocre movie. The characters were all very stereotypical and nothing they said or did seemed quite genuine. I read it super quick, a day and a half; there was nothing particular challenging about the prose. ( )
  Katie_Roscher | Jan 18, 2019 |
Barnaby Gaitlin has less in life than he once had. His ex-wife Natalie left him and their native Baltimore several years ago, taking their baby daughter Opal with her. He acquired an unalterably fixed position as the black sheep of the family. And this family isn't one where black sheep are tolerated. The Gaitlins are rich and worthy, supposedly guided by their town special angel to do the right thing...
  gerrit-anne | Oct 11, 2018 |
Anne Tyler is like an old friend. I love coming back to her books every few years or so, and this one is no exception. ( )
  abergsman | Mar 20, 2018 |
This is a different type of book than what I usually choose for myself, but it was in a box I received from a networking contact. It started out kind of slowly, but the characters grew on me. I liked the idea of "Rent-a-Back", where people who needed help with household chores could call an agency to get help, and wished we had something like that in this area. Barnaby seems to have found some true friends within that company. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Dec 2, 2017 |

Anne Tylerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Mossel, BabetTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In loving memory of my husband, Taghi Modarressi
I am a man you can trust, is how my customers view me.
Back in Baltimore’s golden age, when the streetcars were still running and downtown was still the place to go and we had four top-notch department stores all on the same one block: Hutzler’s, Hochschild’s, Stewart’s, and Hecht’s... (Rent-A-Back client)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,927,602 books! | Top bar: Always visible