Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant (1982)

by Anne Tyler

Pearl Tull is nearing the end of her life but not her memory. It was a Sunday night in 1944 when her husband left the little row house on Baltimore's Calvert Street, abandoning Pearl to raise their three children alone: Jenny, high-spirited and determined, nurturing to strangers but distant to those she loves; the oldest son, Cody, a wild and incorrigible youth possessed by the lure of power and money; and sweet and clumsy Ezra, Pearl's favorite, who never stops yearning for the "perfect" family that could never be his own. Now grown, they have gathered together again-with anger, with hope, and with a beautiful, harsh, and dazzling story to tell.… (more)

English (64)  Catalan (3)  Hebrew (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (69)
My first Anne Tyler but one of my favourite genres, the drama of the ordinary family. Plot is secondary in this genre, it's character, character,character and matriarch Pearl is a doozie. ( )
  Teresa1966 | Dec 22, 2020 |
I think the novel identifies the crux of it within its own text, noting that life goes on without much plot, as this book seems to. I expected more and I didn’t really get it. That’s ok, as I enjoyed reading it. ( )
  Vividrogers | Dec 20, 2020 |
Very character driven. I gave it 3 CDs and tried a bit of the last.

First chapter the mother/wife was the narrator.

Second chapter was the eldest son. Offering his perspective of events.

Third chapter sounded like it was going to be the daughter's voice. I was bored with the other two perspectives so wasn't interested hearing it all again in another voice.
-------------------------

Not fond of the narrator's male voices. If anyone listened to the audiobook of Clan of the Cave Bear you'll know what I mean when I say her male voices sounded like Brun. I even looked up CotCB audiobook to see if they were the same narrator and they are not.

DNF ( )
  Seayla2020 | Nov 21, 2020 |
An easy, straightforward novel, but not my favorite Tyler. She writes about a compelling subject, a challenged, dysfunctional family, but their actions are repetitive with little progress or enlightenment in personal or interpersonal development. And there is loss of focus with details spent on sidebar scenes. I would recommend for example, Accidental Tourist or Breathing Lessons. ( )
  Misprint | Aug 31, 2020 |
This was a light read which fulfilled my need for something undemanding during these strange times. It was okay but not one of her best. ( )
  HelenBaker | Apr 16, 2020 |
Every other year or so since 1964, loyal readers pick up their new Anne Tyler novel as they would buy a favored brand of sensible shoe. Each of her nine books is solidly constructed from authentic and durable materials. Yet traditional style and comfort do not necessarily mean dullness. Tyler's characters have character: quirks, odd angles of vision, colorful mean streaks and harmonic longings. They usually live in ordinary settings, like Baltimore, the author's current home, and do not seem to have been overly influenced by the 7 o'clock news. An issue in a Tyler novel is likely to mean a new child; a cause, the reason behind a malfunction in an appliance or a marriage.
added by Shortride | editTime, R. Z. Sheppard (pay site) (Apr 5, 1982)

Anne Tylerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Leigh-Loohuizen, RiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marcellino, FredCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Toren, SuzanneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
While Pearl Tull was dying, a funny thought occurred to her.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,021,173 books! | Top bar: Always visible