The Tin Can Tree by Anne Tyler

The Tin Can Tree (1965)

by Anne Tyler

In her second book , Anne Tyler again squeezes out emotional power from her characters.

"Bravest thing about people, Miss Joan, is how they go on loving mortal beings after finding out there's such a thing as dying.”
  FAR2MANYBOOKS | Apr 5, 2014 |

FAR2MANYBOOKS | Apr 5, 2014 |
In the small town of Larksville, the Pike family is in the midst of terrible crisis. They are hopelessly out of step with the rhythms of daily life after the tragic, accidental death of six-year-old Janie Rose. Janie Rose's absence is keenly felt by everyone and her family will never be whole again.

Lou - Janie's mother - blames herself for her daughter's death, and so has retreated into her own private world of grief. She seldom speaks to those around her and is barely aware of her surroundings. Roy - Janie's father - has been forced to emerge from his many years of long, comfortable silence. Janie's ten-year-old brother, Simon, is suddenly without his baby sister or any proper understanding of why she's gone.

Those closest to this shattered family must learn to comfort them - as well as confront their own private shadows of hidden grief. If time cannot draw them out of the dark, and thus foster any expectation of creating a meaningful future, then love just may be their only hope...

In my opinion, this was a gripping story. The plot was thoroughly engrossing and I was completely captured from the first page. I wanted to see how each character would cope with their grief. I give this book an A!

As I may have said before, I think that Ms. Tyler is an excellent writer. Those books of hers that I've read, have been filled with characters that you can't help but care for, going through circumstances that are absolutely plausible. I look forward to reading more from this author in the future. ( )
  moonshineandrosefire | Apr 2, 2014 |
Having come to this work after having read her later novels I realise that this was a work 'in progress' which I found quite boring. ( )
  hazelk | Mar 27, 2013 |
The story concerns the aftermath of a little girl’s accidental death and its effects on the people who live in the same house: her family and neighbors.

I didn’t think that this novel lived up to the strength of Tyler’s other publications. While the prose and characterization, as always, are strong, the story isn’t that compelling. It just seems to amble along to no spot in particular.

Read because I like the author (2001). ( )
  sturlington | Oct 28, 2011 |
After the funeral James came straight home, to look after his brother.
"He's the only one can help now. Not hot tea, not people circling round. Not even her own husband. Just her little boy." "I don't see how," said Joan. Missouri made an exasperated face. "You don't know," she told her. "You don't know how it would work out. Bravest thing about people, Miss Joan, is how they go on loving mortal beings after finding out there's such a thing as dying. Do I have to tell you that?" (end of chap. 5)

Those closest to this shattered family must learn to comfort them -- and confront their own private shadows of hidden grief. If time cannot draw them out of the dark, then love may be their only hope....

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:45 -0400)

In the small town of Larksville, the Pike family is hopelessly out of step with the daily rhythms of life after the tragic, accidental death of six-year-old Janie Rose. Mrs. Pike seldom speaks, blaming herself, while Mr. Pike is forced to come out of his long, comfortable silence. Then there is ten-year-old Simon, who is suddenly without a baby sister -- and without understanding why she's gone.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,633,802 books! | Top bar: Always visible