Good Grief by Lolly Winston

Good Grief (original 2011; edition 2005)

by Lolly Winston

Member:kehrman5
Title:Good Grief
Authors:Lolly Winston
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2005), Paperback, 368 pages
Rating:*****

Good Grief by Lolly Winston (2011)

a look a t a young woman's experience after the death of her husband. Endearing and often funny ( )
  AstridG | Jul 22, 2015 |
A friend recommended this to me when I was looking for something to read that was light and fun and fast. I wasn't sure at first, I sometimes shy away from books with death in them. I liked this. Lolly Winston has a way with descriptions that let you see what she is talking about (even though you wouldn't have thought to say it like that)...I finished the book about a week ago, so most details have leaked from my brain, but I do remember Sophie talking about her just out of bed unbrushed "hurricane hair". I know exactly what she means, I can even see it (in the mirror most mornings). ( )
  mlake | Apr 28, 2015 |
A wry and loving story of a woman who, by muddle or mistake or humor or good luck, manages to survive the time after her husband''s death.

Bookcrossing: http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/5357848/ ( )
  wareagle78 | Jan 25, 2014 |
Sophie Stanton is 36, a competent public relations person for a successful company, and recently widowed. Cancer. She wants to be a classy, elegant widow like Jackie Kennedy, but her grief takes over her life until, having reached rock bottom in the coping department, she moves to Ashland, Oregon to restart her life. I've read several books along these lines, and it seems to be a theme of every other Hallmark movie that gets aired. But this is a well-written story, with some interesting and compelling characters, chief among them Sophie herself. She finds that she has strength she didn't know of, enough to spare to take care of one or two other people who come into her life. And I'm glad the author resisted the inclination to make her new man in her life a savior. The food fight was perhaps a little over the top, though. ( )
  burnit99 | Jan 9, 2014 |
Finished reading. Loved the first half so much because she was insane, but I guess it had to get less ridiculous as she was healing....:(
  angieshere | Mar 31, 2013 |
How can I be a widow?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446694843, Paperback)

Some widows face their loss with denial. Sophie Stanton's reaction is one of pure bafflement. "How can I be a widow?" Sophie asks at the opening of Lolly Winston's sweet debut novel, Good Grief. "I'm only thirty-six. I just got used to the idea of being married." Sophie's young widowhood forces her to do all kinds of crazy things--drive her car through her garage door, for instance. That's on one of the rare occasions when she bothers to get out of bed. The Christmas season especially terrifies her: "I must write a memo to the Minister of Happier Days requesting that the holidays be cancelled this year." But widowhood also forces her to do something very sane. After the death of her computer programmer husband, she reexamines her life as a public relations agent in money-obsessed Silicon Valley. Sophie decides to ease her grief, or at least her loneliness, by moving in with her best friend Ruth in Ashland, Oregon. But it's her difficult relationship with psycho teen punker Crystal, to whom she becomes a Big Sister, that mysteriously brings her at least a few steps out of her grief. Winston allows Sophie life after widowhood: The novel almost indiscernibly turns into a gentle romantic comedy and a quirky portrait of life in an artsy small town. At all stops on her journey from widow to survivor, Sophie is a lively, crabby, delightfully imperfect character. --Claire Dederer

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:01 -0400)

36-year-old Sophie Stanton has just lost her husband to cancer. But instead of the five stages of grief, there are fourteen: Denial, Oreos, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, Ashes, Lust, Waitressing, Mentoring, Dating, Baking, Acceptance, Goodwill, and Thanksgiving. Determined to be a good widow, Sophie nonetheless ends up scarfing cartons of ice cream for breakfast, weeping in the produce section, and showing up at work in her robe and bunny slippers. In no time, she finds she's lost not only her husband but her job and waistline as well. Hoping to reinvent her life, she moves to Ashland, Oregon. However, instead of finding a rugged Sam Shepard kind of guy, she finds herself involved in ever more hilariously confused adventures. Will she drop in a pile, or will she recover?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,997,816 books! | Top bar: Always visible