Good Grief by Lolly Winston

Good Grief (original 2011; edition 2005)

by Lolly Winston

Member:kehrman5
Title:Good Grief
Authors:Lolly Winston
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2005), Paperback, 368 pages
Rating:*****

Good Grief by Lolly Winston (2011)

Widows journey.
Listened on audio Campbell ( )
  Indygirl | Aug 4, 2016 |
After only 3 years of marriage, Sophie Stanton is suddenly a widow. Her computer programmer husband, Ethan, died of cancer leaving 36-year-old Sophie unsure of how to function in fast paced Silicon Valley. Most mornings she chooses to just remain in bed and eventually her high-pressure public relations job begins to suffer, most particularly when Sophie shows up at work in bathrobe and bunny slippers. As Sophie fumbles through the stages of grief she realizes that the best thing to do would be to move to a new city and try to start her life over. Sophie's best friend, Ruth, convinces her to come to Ashland, Oregon, a small artsy community. There, Sophie takes a job as waitress, with disastrous results, and is quickly downgraded to the salad prep station. After the head chef causes the pastry master to walk off the job, Sophie finds herself thrown into the world of cakes, pies and brioche. Summoning up a deep seated love of baking, Sophie revels in her new job and spends hours poring over cookbooks for new and enticing recipes. The dream of opening her own bakery becomes a concrete plan. Along with the stress of a new business, Sophie has taken on a surly teenaged girl, Crystal, in the Big Sister program, and has attracted the attention of a handsome actor, Drew, who unsettles Sophie's sense of loyalty to her husband.

I like Sophie's character very much and most of the supporting cast is good. Crystal is a neglected child with cutting and fire issues but is clearly crying out for someone to pay attention to her. Drew seems charming, although almost too good to be true, despite a dalliance with a beautiful actress. I didn't get a good sense of Ruth's character except that she seemed very bitter about men in general. At times the story was very funny while at other times the grief was nearly overwhelming.
  Ellen_R | Jan 15, 2016 |
a look a t a young woman's experience after the death of her husband. Endearing and often funny ( )
  AstridG | Jul 22, 2015 |
A friend recommended this to me when I was looking for something to read that was light and fun and fast. I wasn't sure at first, I sometimes shy away from books with death in them. I liked this. Lolly Winston has a way with descriptions that let you see what she is talking about (even though you wouldn't have thought to say it like that)...I finished the book about a week ago, so most details have leaked from my brain, but I do remember Sophie talking about her just out of bed unbrushed "hurricane hair". I know exactly what she means, I can even see it (in the mirror most mornings). ( )
  mlake | Apr 28, 2015 |
A wry and loving story of a woman who, by muddle or mistake or humor or good luck, manages to survive the time after her husband''s death.

Bookcrossing: http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/5357848/ ( )
  wareagle78 | Jan 25, 2014 |
How can I be a widow?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446694843, Paperback)

Some widows face their loss with denial. Sophie Stanton's reaction is one of pure bafflement. "How can I be a widow?" Sophie asks at the opening of Lolly Winston's sweet debut novel, Good Grief. "I'm only thirty-six. I just got used to the idea of being married." Sophie's young widowhood forces her to do all kinds of crazy things--drive her car through her garage door, for instance. That's on one of the rare occasions when she bothers to get out of bed. The Christmas season especially terrifies her: "I must write a memo to the Minister of Happier Days requesting that the holidays be cancelled this year." But widowhood also forces her to do something very sane. After the death of her computer programmer husband, she reexamines her life as a public relations agent in money-obsessed Silicon Valley. Sophie decides to ease her grief, or at least her loneliness, by moving in with her best friend Ruth in Ashland, Oregon. But it's her difficult relationship with psycho teen punker Crystal, to whom she becomes a Big Sister, that mysteriously brings her at least a few steps out of her grief. Winston allows Sophie life after widowhood: The novel almost indiscernibly turns into a gentle romantic comedy and a quirky portrait of life in an artsy small town. At all stops on her journey from widow to survivor, Sophie is a lively, crabby, delightfully imperfect character. --Claire Dederer

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:01 -0400)

36-year-old Sophie Stanton has just lost her husband to cancer. But instead of the five stages of grief, there are fourteen: Denial, Oreos, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, Ashes, Lust, Waitressing, Mentoring, Dating, Baking, Acceptance, Goodwill, and Thanksgiving. Determined to be a good widow, Sophie nonetheless ends up scarfing cartons of ice cream for breakfast, weeping in the produce section, and showing up at work in her robe and bunny slippers. In no time, she finds she's lost not only her husband but her job and waistline as well. Hoping to reinvent her life, she moves to Ashland, Oregon. However, instead of finding a rugged Sam Shepard kind of guy, she finds herself involved in ever more hilariously confused adventures. Will she drop in a pile, or will she recover?… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,133,940 books! | Top bar: Always visible