Good Harbor by Anita Diamant

Good Harbor (original 2001; edition 2003)

by Anita Diamant

920319,529 (3.2)40
Member:jhsiess
Title:Good Harbor
Authors:Anita Diamant
Info:Pan (2003), Paperback, 336 pages

Good Harbor by Anita Diamant (2001)

Kathleen and Joyce - two women who meet one summer on the New England coast. Each is going through a crossroads in her life. Kathleen has been diagnosed with early stage breast cancer and Joyce is dealing with an unhappy marriage and a rocky relationship with a young teenage daughter. They find eachother when each most needs a friend.

Plenty of parts in this book are really good. The women and their friendship with eachother was beautifully described. Kathleen's radiation treatments rang true to me. Joyce's struggles to understand how her marriage was failing - that rang true to me as well as did the descriptions of the two women and their friendship. Some parts - not so much. The failing marriage, the rebellious daughter, the completely unbelievable affair, the son (is he gay? Is he straight?) - everything was wrapped up and resolved so neatly in just a few pages.

I'll tell you what this book did make me want to do though - I would love to go to a New England coastal town and walk on the beach for a long, long time! ( )
  EvelynBernard | Mar 22, 2016 |
If you asked me, I would say I don't read a lot chick-lit. But this is, and I did. In one day. I have enjoyed some of the author's other works, OK, that's a fib, I adored the Red Tent, but this is the first of her works I have read set in the present day. A novel describing the coming together of two women in friendship, each at a critical and vulnerable time in her life. ( )
  MaureenCean | Feb 2, 2016 |
Good story. It made me yearn for deeper relationships in my own life. ( )
  cjservis | Jan 18, 2016 |
  MaureenCean | Jan 1, 2015 |
I had forgotten that I tried this one once and put it down because I found it boring. I am glad I picked it up again. Although the writing style lacks, it's mostly just kind of flat, it is a very good story. I would like for it to have been done by someone with a beautiful writing style. That would have made what is a good book into a great book. ( )
  shesinplainview | Dec 9, 2014 |
for Jim
Kathleen lay on the massage table and looked up at the casement windows high above her.

"Good Harbor" addresses cancer, religion, parenting, death, infidelity, and relationships.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743225724, Paperback)

Given the breadth of Anita Diamant's bestselling biblical epic, The Red Tent, it seems natural that her second novel has a much closer focus. Set in the small Massachusetts fishing town of Gloucester, Good Harbor is a slow-paced study of female friendship. Here Diamant can luxuriate in the development of just two principal characters: 59-year-old Kathleen Levine, a children's librarian who is undergoing radiation therapy for breast cancer, and a 42-year-old romance novelist, Joyce Tabachnik, who has bought a summer retreat in Gloucester in the hope of finally writing a "serious" book. The two meet at temple after a service presided over by a newly hired female rabbi. (What joy it must have been for Diamant, who chronicled so much oppression of Hebrew women in The Red Tent, to casually include the presence of female clergy.) Kathleen has no real confidante aside from her husband, Buddy; Joyce is facing estrangement from both her business-minded husband, Frank, and her soccer-obsessed daughter, Nina. What the women are lacking, they find in each other. As their intimacy grows, Diamant sometimes tells us what we already know, breaking into a conversation, for example, to announce how well things are going ("They smiled at each other. They were going to be okay."). This is a moving story nonetheless--short on incident, but with carefully drawn characters and fluid, matter-of-fact prose. --Regina Marler

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:35 -0400)

Two women are brought together by a mutual love for books, humor and nature for a once in a lifetime friendship.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,827,233 books! | Top bar: Always visible