Good Harbor by Anita Diamant

Good Harbor (original 2001; edition 2003)

by Anita Diamant

Member:jhsiess
Title:Good Harbor
Authors:Anita Diamant
Info:Pan (2003), Paperback, 336 pages

Good Harbor by Anita Diamant (2001)

If you asked me, I would say I don't read a lot chick-lit. But this is, and I did. In one day. I have enjoyed some of the author's other works, OK, that's a fib, I adored the Red Tent, but this is the first of her works I have read set in the present day. A novel describing the coming together of two women in friendship, each at a critical and vulnerable time in her life. ( )
  MaureenCean | Feb 2, 2016 |
Good story. It made me yearn for deeper relationships in my own life. ( )
  cjservis | Jan 18, 2016 |
  MaureenCean | Jan 1, 2015 |
I had forgotten that I tried this one once and put it down because I found it boring. I am glad I picked it up again. Although the writing style lacks, it's mostly just kind of flat, it is a very good story. I would like for it to have been done by someone with a beautiful writing style. That would have made what is a good book into a great book. ( )
  shesinplainview | Dec 9, 2014 |
Good Harbor by Anita Diamant is the story of the friendship between two women living in Gloucester. One is a children's librarian who was recently diagnosed with cancer. The other is a freelance writer who has come to write a novel.

I read the book for a combination of the location and the basic character descriptions. I'm a librarian and would like to be a children's librarian. I also want to a writer and I've had fun doing Nanowrimo. I'm also a woman of similar age to these two protagonists.

At first, there's not much to this plot. It starts off as a quiet book with the librarian doing everything in her power to not obsess over her breast cancer, and the other one doing everything possible to procrastinate with her writing. And then just to force a cinematic second act, a random dude on the beach is introduced and of course, he becomes the other man. Because nothing says edgy women's fiction like an extra marital affair.

I could have let the affair thing go except that the "hot" sex scenes were just so silly and not in a good way. I ended up having to stop reading because I just couldn't take the book seriously any more. ( )
  pussreboots | Sep 12, 2014 |
for Jim
Kathleen lay on the massage table and looked up at the casement windows high above her.

"Good Harbor" addresses cancer, religion, parenting, death, infidelity, and relationships.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743225724, Paperback)

Given the breadth of Anita Diamant's bestselling biblical epic, The Red Tent, it seems natural that her second novel has a much closer focus. Set in the small Massachusetts fishing town of Gloucester, Good Harbor is a slow-paced study of female friendship. Here Diamant can luxuriate in the development of just two principal characters: 59-year-old Kathleen Levine, a children's librarian who is undergoing radiation therapy for breast cancer, and a 42-year-old romance novelist, Joyce Tabachnik, who has bought a summer retreat in Gloucester in the hope of finally writing a "serious" book. The two meet at temple after a service presided over by a newly hired female rabbi. (What joy it must have been for Diamant, who chronicled so much oppression of Hebrew women in The Red Tent, to casually include the presence of female clergy.) Kathleen has no real confidante aside from her husband, Buddy; Joyce is facing estrangement from both her business-minded husband, Frank, and her soccer-obsessed daughter, Nina. What the women are lacking, they find in each other. As their intimacy grows, Diamant sometimes tells us what we already know, breaking into a conversation, for example, to announce how well things are going ("They smiled at each other. They were going to be okay."). This is a moving story nonetheless--short on incident, but with carefully drawn characters and fluid, matter-of-fact prose. --Regina Marler

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:35 -0400)

Two women are brought together by a mutual love for books, humor and nature for a once in a lifetime friendship.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,054,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible