Exodus by Julie Bertagna
4602434,366 (3.75)1 / 18
    Fearless by Tim Lott (Anonymous user)

In the year 2100, as the island of Wing is about to be covered by water, fifteen-year-old Mara discovers the existence of New World sky cities that are safe from the storms and rising waters, and convinces her people to travel to one of these cities in order to save themselves.
  lkmuir | Dec 11, 2015 |
3.5 stars. I got bored in a few places, but overall it was pretty good. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
The images in this book are very vivid and greatly worded. The story is also easy to follow, I'd definitely recommend this to my friends. The cover art is okay and I'd recommend this to middle school and high school students. I chose to read this book because I liked the there of a flooded world. SpencerD
  edspicer | Jul 23, 2014 |
I'm torn between 2 and 3 stars for this book. I did like it but there were some major flaws that hindered my enjoyment of the book.

The premise is an interesting one - what if the entire earth were flooded because the polar ice caps melted? The story is an interesting one and the plot moves along pretty nicely.

There were quite a few things I did not like, however. The dialogue was pretty horrible. Lots of gasping and whining and such. Some pretty cheesy exchanges. Also, within the plot there were a lot of unbelievable coincidences. The protagonist whines about how difficult things are and how she doesn't know how she will proceed. Then, voila! Something happens that makes everything ok. There are also a few references made to the fact that there are no women in charge and no women "dreamers." These references to women's rights really felt out of place. That facet of the story was never fleshed out so these mentions seem distracting rather than a real piece of the plot. They were unnecessary. If this was something that the author really wanted to explore she should have made it a larger part of the plot.

Overall, this book was ok. I liked it and really enjoyed parts of it but cannot rate it higher because of the issues stated above. I think most adults reading this would agree with me. However, tweens and young teens may rate this much higher. ( )
  CherieReads | Sep 23, 2013 |
Although global warming is the topic of this book, Exodus is not a message novel. It's just an amazing story that will keep you enthralled and touch your heart. It's a story of the power of individuals to change the world.

There's so much that I loved about this book; I can't say enough good things about it. Read my entire review to see some of them. ( )
  SheilaRuth | Aug 23, 2013 |
No coward soul is mine.
No trembler in the world's storm-troubled sphere.
- Emily Bronte
Earth spins. And Wing, the high island, is hurled into the sunless shadow of night.

An internationally acclaimed bestseller, vividly and terrifyingly topical, is finally available to American audiences.

Less than a hundred years from now, the world as we know it no longer exists.  Cities have disappeared beneath the sea, technology no longer functions, and human civilization has reverted to a much more primitive state

On an isolated northern island, the people of Wing are trying to hold onto their way of life—even as the sea continues to claim precious acres and threatens to claim their very lives

Only fifteen-year-old Mara has the vision and the will to lead her people in search of a new beginning in this harsh, unfamiliar world.

This compelling and powerful story set in the near future will hit home with teens, especially those who are ever more aware of the increasingly controversial climate crisis we face in our world today.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:36 -0400)

It is 2099 and the world is gradually drowning as the ice floes melt and the sea rises. For 15-year-old Mara, her family and community, huddled on a fast-disappearing island, the new century brings flight. Packed into tiny boats, a terrifying journey begins to a city that rises into the sky. But even here there is no safety. Shut out of the city, they are asylum-seekers in a world of high-tech wizardry and great injustice. To save her people, Mara must not only find a way into the city but also search for a new land and a new home... Suggested level: secondary.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,417,239 books! | Top bar: Always visible