Stray by Rachel Vincent

Stray (2007)

by Rachel Vincent

Series: Shifters (1)

Moon Called by Patricia Briggs (OmaRoses)
    OmaRoses: Both stories are hot and action packed with a young shifter heroine who is rare and thus very coveted and smothered within her pack/pride. She must battle her family to earn her independence, and fight her heart and instincts to avoid being “owned” by HOT men whom drive them crazy with lust and desire. (Stray is a bit more sensual)… (more)
    Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (scriberscouse)
    The Dream by Zoe Daniels (scriberscouse)
    scriberscouse: A young adult take on werepanthers with a solid mystery and decent characterisation.
    Full Moon Rising by Keri Arthur (alesi1)

I absolutely LOVED this book! Rachel Vincent has yet to disappoint me with her writing.

The fact that Faythe attends my alma mater is beyond awesome. It's always refreshing knowing the areas Vincent talks about. :D I also found myself trying to figure out what route was being taken when Faythe was taken back home.

Anyway, back to the point. Faythe is a kick-ass werecat. She's strong and independent. She does have a tendency to throw fits when she doesn't get her freedom. But what's a girl to do when she wants something else. ;) I love the fact that she stands up for herself in a male dominated world. F

Faythe isn't happen when she's forced to go back home under her father's order. She's even less thrilled when she realizes her escort is Marc. There's definitely history between these two.

The story is fast paced, and full of warring emotions. Faythe is trying to deal with her loss of freedom, feelings toward Marc and Jace, the disappearance of the tabbies, and the boyfriend she left at UNT. This girl has a lot on her plate, and seems to handle it well considering the circumstances.

I did find myself comparing these characters with those in the Soul Screamers Series. I know this is an adult book, but I see similarities in characteristics. If you've read both and done the same, let me know who you think matches up. Here's mine.

Faythe --> Kaylee
Marc --> Nash
Jace --> Tod
Abby --> Emma

Ok, so um, I guess that's it. Go read this book now! Rachel's writing is amazing and I can't wait to see who's ass Faythe kicks next! ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
  fromjesstoyou | Mar 21, 2016 |

Originally posted here

I have never read a book about were-cats before and I found the Shifter world really intriguing. Female were-cats are very rare and so are fiercely protected and controlled by their Prides. They are destined to pair and breed with alphas groomed for leadership and that is that. I did sympathise with Faythe's struggle against living the stifling life that is chosen for her by her parents.

An unknown stray is stealing tabbies and so Faythe is ordered to come into the protection of her pride to avoid her being taken. Faythe started out really unlikable, she is 23 and in college and she has a boyfriend, Andrew who is all but forgotten as soon as she steps foot back on her families ranch. I found her attitude towards her love interests very juvenile, and the macho posturing of Marc really didn't do it for me. There wasn't really a love triangle in this book but I feel like it is setting one up for the subsequent books in the series. I much preferred Jace to Marc. Marc doesn't care what Faythe wants, as far as he is concerned she belongs with him and that's final. Jace was more of a gentler soul and never acted like he owned Faythe just because she gave in to his advances.

Although this book was slow to start, by mid way it became impossible to put down. Faythe's fighting spirit really made me root for her and I became fully invested in the story. There are a lot of mysteries that haven't been explained and it does make me want to continue with the series just to see if I get the answers to my questions. Overall, a great read. ( )
  4everfanatical | Mar 8, 2016 |
I really liked the premise to this book - werecats. And I liked how Vincent portrayed them during their shift. What I didn't like was the characters. I liked the main girl in the beginning. She was strong, and could take care of herself. Except it turns out she's mostly just stupid. I wanted her to be strong mentally and be able to back it up. But she didn't. She annoyed me mostly, saying things and then totally contradicting it with her actions. And Marc annoyed me too. The secondary characters were better than these two main ones. Which is too bad, cause it could have been a great book. I most likely will not pick the next book up since I read a few reviews and they say that the girl doesn't get any better. ( )
  Kassilem | Feb 14, 2016 |
Interesting and intriguing. A must read for romance and action lovers. ( )
  samjgregory | Jan 11, 2016 |

Rachel Vincentprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Van Dyck, JenniferNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The moment the door opened I knew an ass-kicking was inevitable.

Okay, so cats don t always land on their feet.

I know that better than most. Since rejoining the Pride, I ve made big decisions and even bigger mistakes: the kind paid for with innocent lives. As the first and only female enforcer, I have plenty to prove to my father, the Pride, and myself. And with murdered toms turning up in our territory, I m working harder than ever, though I always find the energy for a little after-hours recreation with Marc, my partner both on- and off-duty.

But not all of my mistakes are behind me. We re beginning to suspect that the dead are connected to a rash of missing human women and that they can all be laid at my feet--two or four, take your pick. And one horrible indiscretion may yet cost me more than I can bear...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0778324214, Mass Market Paperback)

There are only eight breeding female werecats left . . .
And I'm one of them

I look like an all-American grad student. But I am a werecat, a shape-shifter, and I live in two worlds.

Despite reservations from my family and my Pride, I escaped the pressure to continue my species and carved out a normal life for myself. Until the night a Stray attacked.

I'd been warned about Strays -- werecats without a Pride, constantly on the lookout for someone like me: attractive, female, and fertile. I fought him off, but then learned two of my fellow tabbies had disappeared.

This brush with danger was all my Pride needed to summon me back . . . for my own protection. Yeah, right. But I'm no meek kitty. I'll take on whatever -- and whoever -- I have to in order to find my friends. Watch out, Strays -- 'cause I got claws, and I'm not afraid to use them . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:05 -0400)

After narrowly escaping an attack by a Stray, Faythe, a shape-shifting young werecat and rebellious member of a Pride, discovers that two of her fellow female werecats have disappeared and launches a personal campaign to find her missing friends and stop the kidnappers before it is too late.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,261,708 books! | Top bar: Always visible