Stray by Rachel Vincent

Stray (2007)

by Rachel Vincent

Series: Shifters (1)

1,083None7,690 (3.69)48
(5) 1st (5) 2007 (8) 2010 (6) audiobook (6) cats (7) contemporary (5) ebook (11) fantasy (52) fiction (41) horror (4) kidnapping (5) Kindle (5) own (11) paranormal (67) paranormal romance (23) Rachel Vincent (15) read (23) romance (25) series (20) sff (5) shapeshifters (45) shifters (15) supernatural (8) to-read (46) unread (5) urban fantasy (94) werecat (8) werecats (57) werewolves (11)
    Moon Called by Patricia Briggs (OmaRoses)
    OmaRoses: Both stories are hot and action packed with a young shifter heroine who is rare and thus very coveted and smothered within her pack/pride. She must battle her family to earn her independence, and fight her heart and instincts to avoid being “owned” by HOT men whom drive them crazy with lust and desire. (Stray is a bit more sensual)… (more)
    Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (scriberscouse)
    The Dream by Zoe Daniels (scriberscouse)
    scriberscouse: A young adult take on werepanthers with a solid mystery and decent characterisation.
    Full Moon Rising by Keri Arthur (alesi1)

Meh. Sadly. ( )
  duende | Feb 6, 2014 |
What a fantastic book! I don't want to spoil it for anyone ... ( )
  chymekeeper | Aug 21, 2013 |
4.5 stars
What a great introduction to a new series! Faythe is a very strong, young woman, who is ready to fight anyone and everybody for what she believes in. Even when she is scared stiff, she is somehow able to get back into it, and fight for her life.

Faythe had been away from her meddling shifter family for five years, running away both from a broken relationship and responsibilities she didn't want, she completed her BA in English lit (gotta love that one!)

Marc, her ex, came to pick her up when a female cat went missing, and she was brought back home to her family, who still wanted to meddle in her life, and make her be responsible.

Both Marc and Faythe are very strong-mindend, and taking no shit from anybody. But Marc still wants Faythe, and she only wants to get back to school, and be far away from thoughts about marriage, having loads of children and perpetuating Pride tradition.

When her cousin disappears as well, and all the cat-shifters find out that the first disappeared cat, Sara, is dead, Faythe has a really hard time to deal with it. On a drunken night, she hooks back up with Marc (which actually peeved me a little, I didn't want getting back together to be a drunken experience), then, she thinks about running away, but doesn't anyway. Only to be snatched herself.

The things she learns while in captivity are horrible! And the story is really dark and scary for a long while, but in the end, she is able to still win and save herself and her cousin.

I am hoping this series will continue to be about Faythe and Marc as a couple - I would love to see them both grow, and understand each other - and be really hot together :D ( )
  Lexxie | Apr 23, 2013 |
Um, can someone say 'fan fiction'? I felt like I was just reading 'Bitten' by Kelley Armstrong again (which really isn't a bad thing). Because this book was not original -at all- I wanted to give it four stars, but... Well... I loved it. I couldn't put it down and I bought the sequels. ( )
  Ritastradling | Apr 15, 2013 |
  Ritastradling | Apr 15, 2013 |

Rachel Vincentprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Van Dyck, JenniferNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The moment the door opened I knew an ass-kicking was inevitable.

Okay, so cats don t always land on their feet.

I know that better than most. Since rejoining the Pride, I ve made big decisions and even bigger mistakes: the kind paid for with innocent lives. As the first and only female enforcer, I have plenty to prove to my father, the Pride, and myself. And with murdered toms turning up in our territory, I m working harder than ever, though I always find the energy for a little after-hours recreation with Marc, my partner both on- and off-duty.

But not all of my mistakes are behind me. We re beginning to suspect that the dead are connected to a rash of missing human women and that they can all be laid at my feet--two or four, take your pick. And one horrible indiscretion may yet cost me more than I can bear...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0778324214, Mass Market Paperback)

There are only eight breeding female werecats left . . .
And I'm one of them

I look like an all-American grad student. But I am a werecat, a shape-shifter, and I live in two worlds.

Despite reservations from my family and my Pride, I escaped the pressure to continue my species and carved out a normal life for myself. Until the night a Stray attacked.

I'd been warned about Strays -- werecats without a Pride, constantly on the lookout for someone like me: attractive, female, and fertile. I fought him off, but then learned two of my fellow tabbies had disappeared.

This brush with danger was all my Pride needed to summon me back . . . for my own protection. Yeah, right. But I'm no meek kitty. I'll take on whatever -- and whoever -- I have to in order to find my friends. Watch out, Strays -- 'cause I got claws, and I'm not afraid to use them . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:22 -0400)

After narrowly escaping an attack by a Stray, Faythe, a shape-shifting young werecat and rebellious member of a Pride, discovers that two of her fellow female werecats have disappeared and launches a personal campaign to find her missing friends and stop the kidnappers before it is too late.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,446,845 books! | Top bar: Always visible