Stray by Rachel Vincent

Stray (2007)

by Rachel Vincent

Series: Shifters (1)

Moon called by Patricia Briggs (OmaRoses)
    OmaRoses: Both stories are hot and action packed with a young shifter heroine who is rare and thus very coveted and smothered within her pack/pride. She must battle her family to earn her independence, and fight her heart and instincts to avoid being “owned” by HOT men whom drive them crazy with lust and desire. (Stray is a bit more sensual)… (more)
    Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (scriberscouse)
    The Dream by Zoe Daniels (scriberscouse)
    scriberscouse: A young adult take on werepanthers with a solid mystery and decent characterisation.
    Full Moon Rising by Keri Arthur (alesi1)

★★★☆☆ Stars

Oh My Good Jesus, what the hell did I just read?

The only reason this book even gets a three star is because of the ending. The only reason I even finished the book was because I was steaming with anger and fury.

Let’s get down it to, shall we.

Faythe, I hate you, I deeply truly hate you. There are many of words to descried you, and most of which are to vulgar to put into a G rated review. To point, you're selfish, straight up selfish.

You’re an idiot, not stupid, an idiot. The connection for common sense doesn't exist in your brain, it got lost, probably when you where blaming everyone else for your problems; problems that you don't have.

You sprout independence, but act like a spoiled princess pink teenager, who didn’t get to use her daddies credit card for a new pair of gucci boots.

I wanted you to get killed, for your lack of compassion, and empathy.

You friend gets kidnapped; a human girl turns up dead, mulled. Your teenage cousin goes missing, and your still trying to prove your independence by trying to leave the safety of your very protect home, while there’s obviously someone out there collection tabbies. Woman! There is a target on your head, tragedy in your family, a threat agents your race, and you want to F*en leave! .............. Who the hells thinks like that!....

If that was me, I would be there for my family, I would want to help in anyway I could possably can. Leaving would be the last thing on my mind.

.... Okay Breathe....

The ending, did saved this mess that is a book, a little bit. (Faythe’s repeat, (I want out) fits still pops up. F*cken one track mind.) Not because of Faythe, she's still usualness in my eyes, the guys saved it. This book should have been about her brothers and Marc, not her.

What really saved it was disembowelment of the stay-jungle cat. I won't say his name, he needs no more power.

If the first half of the book was like the last, written in third person, and the filler was chopped out, this would have been an easy 4 to 5 star.

But no, -_-

So much filler; Faythe is the tangent queen. I don't need to have something explained to me in 10 different ways just to get a point across. No one is that thick headed.

Back to the ending, (To me an ending is the last 20% of the book.)

I like how Faythe broke out of some of her self-pity and first world problems, to grow up enough not to get her and her cousin killed. She did show, in small amounts, that she is a leader, strong and bright, all qualities that would have been great at the beginning of this horror.

The ending becomes fast pace, and the shallow stupid that was the first half starts to mellow out.

I won't give away the ending, but it was good enough to scrape this book into a three star spot.

I don't recommend this book to anyone that is easily anger by self-imposed independent woman, who throw princess fits every three seconds.

Am I going to read the rest of the series?

My first through is Hell to the No!

But I will reconsider and give it the benefit of the doubt, [a:Rachel Vincent|415967|Rachel Vincent|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1394768659p2/415967.jpg] is one of my favorites, and I loved her Soul Screamer Series, so I can't toss this one just yet. But I am going to give myself some breathing room, read some good books that fills me with happiness, before jumping back into this inferno of hate fire.

Though I don't recommend this book, don't be deterred, read it yourself, you may have a different take to it, and might actually enjoy it.

Check out my blog for more reviews and book fun. Don't Judg, Read.

-Emily-Ann
  E.A.Walsh | Jun 11, 2015 |
A nice read. I really liked the concept and got pulled into the story despite myself. I have high hopes that the rest of the series will get even better. It did take me a little while to get through it but I enjoyed it in the end. I feel compelled to start the next book right away because I picked up on the notes of foreshadowing for the next book that the heroine did not yet connect. ( )
  grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |
I really didn't like Fythe. I mean, really did not like her and because of her I simply couldn't get into anything that happened in this book. ( )
  Irena. | Aug 26, 2014 |
Moreso a 2.5, wasn't all that great for the first 2/3 of the book but it picked up a bit near the ending. Will eventually check out the next book in the series. ( )
  Melissa.M | Aug 21, 2014 |
I've read this series from the beginning, and this one's still my favorite. I think it's because I like a good beginning. ( )
  camibrite | May 25, 2014 |

Rachel Vincentprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Van Dyck, JenniferNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The moment the door opened I knew an ass-kicking was inevitable.

Okay, so cats don t always land on their feet.

I know that better than most. Since rejoining the Pride, I ve made big decisions and even bigger mistakes: the kind paid for with innocent lives. As the first and only female enforcer, I have plenty to prove to my father, the Pride, and myself. And with murdered toms turning up in our territory, I m working harder than ever, though I always find the energy for a little after-hours recreation with Marc, my partner both on- and off-duty.

But not all of my mistakes are behind me. We re beginning to suspect that the dead are connected to a rash of missing human women and that they can all be laid at my feet--two or four, take your pick. And one horrible indiscretion may yet cost me more than I can bear...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0778324214, Mass Market Paperback)

There are only eight breeding female werecats left . . .
And I'm one of them

I look like an all-American grad student. But I am a werecat, a shape-shifter, and I live in two worlds.

Despite reservations from my family and my Pride, I escaped the pressure to continue my species and carved out a normal life for myself. Until the night a Stray attacked.

I'd been warned about Strays -- werecats without a Pride, constantly on the lookout for someone like me: attractive, female, and fertile. I fought him off, but then learned two of my fellow tabbies had disappeared.

This brush with danger was all my Pride needed to summon me back . . . for my own protection. Yeah, right. But I'm no meek kitty. I'll take on whatever -- and whoever -- I have to in order to find my friends. Watch out, Strays -- 'cause I got claws, and I'm not afraid to use them . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:05 -0400)

After narrowly escaping an attack by a Stray, Faythe, a shape-shifting young werecat and rebellious member of a Pride, discovers that two of her fellow female werecats have disappeared and launches a personal campaign to find her missing friends and stop the kidnappers before it is too late.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,979,564 books! | Top bar: Always visible