Stray by Rachel Vincent

Stray (2007)

by Rachel Vincent

Series: Shifters (1)

Recently added bysreeparna, Debra_Burge, atcolorado, private library, DBReads, Glennis.LeBlanc, DoingDewey, Pabkins
    Moon Called by Patricia Briggs (OmaRoses)
    OmaRoses: Both stories are hot and action packed with a young shifter heroine who is rare and thus very coveted and smothered within her pack/pride. She must battle her family to earn her independence, and fight her heart and instincts to avoid being “owned” by HOT men whom drive them crazy with lust and desire. (Stray is a bit more sensual)… (more)
    Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (scriberscouse)
    The Dream by Zoe Daniels (scriberscouse)
    scriberscouse: A young adult take on werepanthers with a solid mystery and decent characterisation.
    Full Moon Rising by Keri Arthur (alesi1)

I've read this series from the beginning, and this one's still my favorite. I think it's because I like a good beginning. ( )
  camibrite | May 25, 2014 |
It is not as strong as Armstrong's wolf series, but... it is a decent story, for a were book published by a romance line.

What I didn't like about it is the misogynistic bent of 3/4 of the story. I assume this is to appeal to the "romance" readers who have been conditioned to think of women as weak, and ready and willing to be saved by the knight in shining armour. Perhaps Vincent was trying to make a point with this: such as how silly it is to treat women this way, but... there was so much time spent covering the same material on how the men in her life controlled Faythe that it became obnoxious to read.

For example, every time a male character came into a scene, he tried (sometimes successfully, sometimes not so much) to control her. It was like not a single male could think of her as a real person, and not a possession.

The sad thing is that she WAS written as a strong character, and was fully capable and competent. She just wasn't allowed to be so. I think I would have enjoyed the book more if there was less focus on "look how controlling men are" and more focus on how Faythe solved the problems all by her little self.

But, other than that, I quite liked the storyline, and the main character. I will read more in the series. ( )
  crazybatcow | May 24, 2014 |
I really liked it! The first half of the book is just getting to know the characters but the second half really takes off. Faythe is such a kick ass shifter and cant wait to read the next one. ( )
  BookLoversLife | Apr 24, 2014 |
Meh. Sadly. ( )
  duende | Feb 6, 2014 |
What a fantastic book! I don't want to spoil it for anyone ... ( )
  chymekeeper | Aug 21, 2013 |

Rachel Vincentprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Van Dyck, JenniferNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The moment the door opened I knew an ass-kicking was inevitable.

Okay, so cats don t always land on their feet.

I know that better than most. Since rejoining the Pride, I ve made big decisions and even bigger mistakes: the kind paid for with innocent lives. As the first and only female enforcer, I have plenty to prove to my father, the Pride, and myself. And with murdered toms turning up in our territory, I m working harder than ever, though I always find the energy for a little after-hours recreation with Marc, my partner both on- and off-duty.

But not all of my mistakes are behind me. We re beginning to suspect that the dead are connected to a rash of missing human women and that they can all be laid at my feet--two or four, take your pick. And one horrible indiscretion may yet cost me more than I can bear...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0778324214, Mass Market Paperback)

There are only eight breeding female werecats left . . .
And I'm one of them

I look like an all-American grad student. But I am a werecat, a shape-shifter, and I live in two worlds.

Despite reservations from my family and my Pride, I escaped the pressure to continue my species and carved out a normal life for myself. Until the night a Stray attacked.

I'd been warned about Strays -- werecats without a Pride, constantly on the lookout for someone like me: attractive, female, and fertile. I fought him off, but then learned two of my fellow tabbies had disappeared.

This brush with danger was all my Pride needed to summon me back . . . for my own protection. Yeah, right. But I'm no meek kitty. I'll take on whatever -- and whoever -- I have to in order to find my friends. Watch out, Strays -- 'cause I got claws, and I'm not afraid to use them . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:22 -0400)

After narrowly escaping an attack by a Stray, Faythe, a shape-shifting young werecat and rebellious member of a Pride, discovers that two of her fellow female werecats have disappeared and launches a personal campaign to find her missing friends and stop the kidnappers before it is too late.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,699,809 books! | Top bar: Always visible