Gregor and the Marks of Secret by Suzanne…

Gregor and the Marks of Secret

by Suzanne Collins

Series: Underland Chronicles (4)

In the fourth book in the Gregor the Overlander series, Gregor is once again battling rats to defend his friends. This time, it seems that something has been happening to the mice (called nibblers in the Underland). They all seem to be disappearing. Gregor agrees to help Luxa find out what has been happening to her friends, the mice. This book seems like it is mostly set up for the the fifth and final book in the series. The tension is built up without resolution, unlike the first three books that contained entire adventures themselves. Like the others in the series, this book deals with real world issues surrounding war. I was a little disappointed that the situation mirrored history more directly than the books have in the past. While in previous books the reader can apply the messages regarding warfare to several real world events, in this book it is very clearly a description of the holocaust. My son and I have already begun the final book in the series and are looking forward to how Collins ends Gregor's time in the Underland. ( )
  Cora-R | Jan 17, 2016 |
  Cora-R | Jan 13, 2016 |
My kiddos rated this 4 stars as they said it had a lot of violence. I feel it was pretty sad overall and there wasn't much closure at the ending... I'm sad to think of what will happen in book 5. We are going to take a few days off to absorb book 4 and then we will begin the final book. ( )
  CrystalW | Dec 15, 2015 |
  CrystalW | Dec 15, 2015 |
Gregor and Luxa set out with the others for a "picnic" although really they are going to check on the mice who helped Luxa survive in the jungle. They believe that they are not following a prophecy and everyone seems to dread telling Gregor about the next prophecy, however all is not what it seems.

This book is clearly drawing parallels between the Bane and Hitler and the Jews and the mice. The scenes regarding the decimation of the mice are completely gut wrenching.

There is a lot of internal focus for Gregor on whether or not war is ever the right answer. Boots again serves as a reminder that sometimes you have to give things a chance.

I found the death of Thalia frustrating. Collins creates all of these phenomenal characters and very quickly kills them off. There is a point where a. it just feels to me like this is too much bad for one person and b. what I love is character development and I feel like I get to see very few characters develop.

At the end of this book you clearly see that Gregor is getting a little obsessed and just not handling everything well and honestly who could. I am also beginning to wonder about Solovet and Vikus and find myself curious as to whether their marriage was arranged or whether it was a love match. Politically the relationship is sound but they no longer seem like a good balance as they did in the beginning of the series. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

Suzanne Collinsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Boehmer, PaulNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To, VivienneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Follow Gregor in the next highly anticipated adventure in Suzanne Collins' masterful Underland Chronicles!

It's only a few months since Gregor and Boots returned from the Underland, leaving their mother behind to heal from the plague. Though Gregor's family receives frequent updates on her condition, they all know Gregor must return to fulfill his role as the warrior who is key to the Underlanders' survival. Accompanied by his now-talkative little sister Boots, still considered the honorary "princess," Gregor joins forces with another princess--12-year-old Luxa--and Ripred the rat to defend the Underlanders and the vulnerable "Nibblers," or mice, from the rat army.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:16 -0400)

Twelve-year-old Gregor returns to the world beneath New York City, where he joins forces with Princess Luxa and Ripred the rat to defend the Underlanders and the Nibblers from the army led by the adolescent rat king, the Bane.

122 wanted3 pay6 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,908,695 books! | Top bar: Always visible