Sir Thursday by Garth Nix

Sir Thursday

by Garth Nix

Series: Keys to the Kingdom (4)

Recently added byAidan2012, private library, dbrown369, JJJJJJJJ, abinning, celebrith, LTFL_UWCSEA, aowe, Grey4114, sealand

“The Agenda is arranged alphabetically,” said Dame Primus helpfully. “All the Arbitration matters are first.”
“I haven't got time for this,” said Arthur. He shut the agenda book with a loud clap. “What I want to know is what that Spirit-eater is, what it's going to do to my family, and how to get rid of it. Dr. Scamandros, do you know?”
“This is quite improper,” Dame Primus complained. “I must protest, Lord Arthur. How can we properly come to conclusions and act effectively if we don't follow our agenda?”
“Why don't you put the Agenda in order of importance, and while you're doing that, we'll talk about the Spirit- eater,” said Arthur, not daring to look at Dame Primus as he spoke. There was something about her that made him want to quietly sit and do as he was told.

Leaf had a bigger part in this book, which was a good thing, but overall I found it duller than Drowned Wednesday. ( )
  isabelx | Jun 16, 2015 |
Brilliant as always. Nix is so clever and creative, and yet everything he does is always consistent to the world he has created for this series. The only beef I have with Nix is about the series title. How can you get the keys to a kingdom that is not a kingdom? Ah, well. I suppose it's too late now to think about changing series titles... ( )
  Inky_Fingers | Oct 19, 2014 |
In this book Author Penthiogon, rightful heir to the works of the great architecht takes over the grand army of the architecht. In the begining Arthur finds that a higher nizithing was placed in his world and then touches a shilling of sir thursday and is automaticaly drafted into his enemy's army. Then while Dame Primus tries to destroy the nithling he is sent to fight the new nithling who are led by the piper who led all of the piper children to the house. Arthur frees part four of the will and takes the fourth key. After that he destroys the new nithling army.
I liked this book because of how it is masterly writen. The book has just the right mix of action, adventure, and strangeness to make a book good. The books before this though I have not explained them are equely as good and all involve Arthur. I have had a hard time finding the books though because I read drowned wendsday (the third book) befor I finished sixth grade. This book I think strikes me because of the different things about betrayal and power being seperated out amongst few overpowered perfect dezins and being wrestled from a kid seems appealing to me. This series is one of the best I have read. ( )
  williamf.b4 | Oct 22, 2013 |
Just finished listening to the audio as a "re-read" the series. I recently posted on my review of Drowned Wednesday that it was my favorite of the series, but now I'm torn. I can't decide if I like Drowned Wednesday or Sir Thursday more. I love them each in different ways. I love all the humor in Drowned Wednesday, but I think that Sir Thursday is a more exciting book.

Watching Arthur's character development in this book is a real pleasure. From the powerless and frightened asthmatic boy in the first book, Arthur has developed into a real leader in every sense of the word. I love that even in the part where he's lost his memory and doesn't know who he is, the squad starts to look to him as their unofficial leader. His power and his leadership qualities come from within, not as a function of his role in the house or his mastery of the keys.

One thing that I can say for certain is that this is one of my favorite series of all time. I'm enjoying it just as much on a reread as I did the first time around, and actually getting more out of it the second time. I'm even thinking about starting over yet another time after I finish all the books in the series so far, because I feel like there's still so much that I'm missing. ( )
  SheilaRuth | Aug 23, 2013 |
Really enjoyable young adult fantasy, with clever use of language, intriguing world-building and enjoyable characters (the lead himself is a little thin, perhaps). I intend to go straight back to the beginning of the series and start from there :-). ( )
  salimbol | Jun 12, 2013 |

Garth Nixprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stevens, TimIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Anna, Thomas, Edward and all my family and friends.
With special thanks to David Levithan, most patient editor.
The westernmost extent of the Great Maze ended in a line of mountains.

The stellar fourth book in Garth Nix's masterpiece series... now in paperback!

On the fourth day there was war...
Following their adventures in the Border Sea, Arthur and Leaf head for home. But only Leaf gets through the Front Door. Arthur is blocked because someone . . . or something . . . has assumed his identity and is taking over his life.
Before Arthur can take action, he is drafted by Sir Thursday and forced to join the Glorious Army of the Architect. While Leaf tries to banish Arthur's doppleganger on earth, Arthur must survive his basic training, avoid getting posted to the Front and work out how he can free Part Four of the Will....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:18 -0400)

When Arthur is drafted into the Glorious Army of the Architect by Sir Thursday, he must survive basic training, avoid getting posted to the Front, and figure out how to free Part Four of the Will, while Leaf tries to banish Arthur's doppleganger on Earth.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,785,683 books! | Top bar: Always visible