Sir Thursday by Garth Nix

Sir Thursday

by Garth Nix

Series: Keys to the Kingdom (4)

In this book Author Penthiogon, rightful heir to the works of the great architecht takes over the grand army of the architecht. In the begining Arthur finds that a higher nizithing was placed in his world and then touches a shilling of sir thursday and is automaticaly drafted into his enemy's army. Then while Dame Primus tries to destroy the nithling he is sent to fight the new nithling who are led by the piper who led all of the piper children to the house. Arthur frees part four of the will and takes the fourth key. After that he destroys the new nithling army.
I liked this book because of how it is masterly writen. The book has just the right mix of action, adventure, and strangeness to make a book good. The books before this though I have not explained them are equely as good and all involve Arthur. I have had a hard time finding the books though because I read drowned wendsday (the third book) befor I finished sixth grade. This book I think strikes me because of the different things about betrayal and power being seperated out amongst few overpowered perfect dezins and being wrestled from a kid seems appealing to me. This series is one of the best I have read. ( )
  williamf.b4 | Oct 22, 2013 |
Just finished listening to the audio as a "re-read" the series. I recently posted on my review of Drowned Wednesday that it was my favorite of the series, but now I'm torn. I can't decide if I like Drowned Wednesday or Sir Thursday more. I love them each in different ways. I love all the humor in Drowned Wednesday, but I think that Sir Thursday is a more exciting book.

Watching Arthur's character development in this book is a real pleasure. From the powerless and frightened asthmatic boy in the first book, Arthur has developed into a real leader in every sense of the word. I love that even in the part where he's lost his memory and doesn't know who he is, the squad starts to look to him as their unofficial leader. His power and his leadership qualities come from within, not as a function of his role in the house or his mastery of the keys.

One thing that I can say for certain is that this is one of my favorite series of all time. I'm enjoying it just as much on a reread as I did the first time around, and actually getting more out of it the second time. I'm even thinking about starting over yet another time after I finish all the books in the series so far, because I feel like there's still so much that I'm missing. ( )
  SheilaRuth | Aug 23, 2013 |
Really enjoyable young adult fantasy, with clever use of language, intriguing world-building and enjoyable characters (the lead himself is a little thin, perhaps). I intend to go straight back to the beginning of the series and start from there :-). ( )
  salimbol | Jun 12, 2013 |
A lot of things from previous books came into play in this book -- the Piper, and the Piper's children, and especially the stolen pocket from book one, which was planted in Nothing during book two, producing the Skinless Boy we saw at the end of book three... I love how these threads keep on coming back: few are irrelevant (one that bothers me because of its seeming lack of necessity was the appearance of Grim Tuesday's Nithling-eyebrow).

Arthur continues to grow, too, beginning to take more command, and learning to fight as a soldier. He starts to think about how he's treating people and how well that accords with the person he's been taught to be, and he has to fight to keep his mortality. Leaf also plays a greater part, and her part is actually more interesting than Arthur's, at least to me.

The 'formula' that began in the first two books, of Arthur getting caught up in something at the beginning of the book and returning to his mortal life at the end, has definitely dissolved by this point: this book begins and ends with Arthur already in the House.

I trust the Will less and less with each book. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
Part 4 of the Keys to the Kingdom series. Unable to go home due to maliciousness and chaos within the House, Arthur is conscripted unwillingly into Sir Thursday's army. The Piper's Children play a larger role, the Will grows more powerful and officious, and Arthur gains more useful skills. However, each time he uses the Keys, he moves that much closer to becoming a denizen himself. Meanwhile back home, Leaf must fight a creature that has taken Arthur's form and identity. ( )
  OshoOsho | Mar 30, 2013 |

Garth Nixprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stevens, TimIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Anna, Thomas, Edward and all my family and friends.
With special thanks to David Levithan, most patient editor.
The westernmost extent of the Great Maze ended in a line of mountains.

The stellar fourth book in Garth Nix's masterpiece series... now in paperback!

On the fourth day there was war...
Following their adventures in the Border Sea, Arthur and Leaf head for home. But only Leaf gets through the Front Door. Arthur is blocked because someone . . . or something . . . has assumed his identity and is taking over his life.
Before Arthur can take action, he is drafted by Sir Thursday and forced to join the Glorious Army of the Architect. While Leaf tries to banish Arthur's doppleganger on earth, Arthur must survive his basic training, avoid getting posted to the Front and work out how he can free Part Four of the Will....

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:30 -0400)

When Arthur is drafted into the Glorious Army of the Architect by Sir Thursday, he must survive basic training, avoid getting posted to the Front, and figure out how to free Part Four of the Will, while Leaf tries to banish Arthur's doppleganger on Earth.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,138,865 books! | Top bar: Always visible