Sir Thursday (Keys to the Kingdom, Book 4)…

Sir Thursday (Keys to the Kingdom, Book 4) (edition 2007)

by Garth Nix

Member:scartissue
Title:Sir Thursday (Keys to the Kingdom, Book 4)
Authors:Garth Nix
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:Arthur Penhaligon

Sir Thursday by Garth Nix

English (33)  Dutch (1)  All languages (34)
An OK book, not my favorite, but still a good read. Recommended for middle school age. ( )
  Shadow494 | Jun 20, 2016 |
Arthur Penhaligan is just a mortal boy, but a Trustee's plot backfired and he was declared the Rightful Heir to the Architect's Will. Although he himself has no magical power or physical abilities (particularly compared to the angelic Denizens), Arthur has managed to secure three out of the seven parts of the Will through good sense, hard work and a little help from the Will. But the remaining Trustees (also known as Morrow Days, each particularly powerful on their day of the week) are each stronger than the last, and begin to look on Arthur as a serious threat.

Mere minutes after he takes over the Border Seas from [b:Drowned Wednesday|47619|Drowned Wednesday (The Keys to the Kingdom, #3)|Garth Nix|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1304528425s/47619.jpg|805783], Arthur is drafted to be part of Sir Thursday's army. He is forced to leave behind the magical Keys he's collected, as well as all his friends and allies. Dame Primus, who is the anthropomorophic manifestation of the first three parts of the Will, is left in charge of Arthur's territories--but Arthur isn't sure he can trust her. And back home, in the mortal realm, a Nithling has taken Arthur's form and holds his family hostage. Arthur asks his mortal friend Leaf and not-quite-mortal friend Suzy Turquoise Blue (possibly my favorite character) to stop the Nithling. And then Arthur must march off to training and to war.

The worldbuilding and plot have been getting progressively richer and deeper with every book. This is the best yet. The magic is both interesting (an army that communicates using little army men, and fights on a land made of ever shifting-tiles that each stretch a day's ride and are nearly indistinguishable from mortal realms) and scary ("washing between the ears" sounds like a mispronounced threat of cleanliness--until one realizes that the smiling creatures with rubber gloves on are going to wash one's *mind* clean of all knowledge, rather than one's body). Arthur, Leaf and Suzy are in the most dangerous predicaments yet, not least because the infrastructure of the magical House is breaking down and their own allies are stretched too thin to be much use.

Even if Arthur does manage to get Sir Thursday's Key and portion of the Will, he might not be able to use it--because every time he does, he becomes a little less mortal and a little more like a Denizen. I've seen other reviews that don't understand his reluctance to become a Denizen, as they're stronger, taller, more beautiful, and can live forever (unless attacked by Nothing). But Denizens, for all their power, lack free will and imagination, and can never venture into the mortal realm. If Arthur uses too much power, not only will he lose the empathy and freedom of thought, but he'll also lose touch with his adopted family--forever. But if he doesn't use his power, he might very well die, and doom all the realms to a tyranical clockwork existence. It's a hard balance to walk, particularly in the midst of a warzone.

I tore through this book, and started reading the next immediately! ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
“The Agenda is arranged alphabetically,” said Dame Primus helpfully. “All the Arbitration matters are first.”
“I haven't got time for this,” said Arthur. He shut the agenda book with a loud clap. “What I want to know is what that Spirit-eater is, what it's going to do to my family, and how to get rid of it. Dr. Scamandros, do you know?”
“This is quite improper,” Dame Primus complained. “I must protest, Lord Arthur. How can we properly come to conclusions and act effectively if we don't follow our agenda?”
“Why don't you put the Agenda in order of importance, and while you're doing that, we'll talk about the Spirit- eater,” said Arthur, not daring to look at Dame Primus as he spoke. There was something about her that made him want to quietly sit and do as he was told.

Leaf had a bigger part in this book, which was a good thing, but overall I found it duller than Drowned Wednesday. ( )
  isabelx | Jun 16, 2015 |
Brilliant as always. Nix is so clever and creative, and yet everything he does is always consistent to the world he has created for this series. The only beef I have with Nix is about the series title. How can you get the keys to a kingdom that is not a kingdom? Ah, well. I suppose it's too late now to think about changing series titles... ( )
  Inky_Fingers | Oct 19, 2014 |
In this book Author Penthiogon, rightful heir to the works of the great architecht takes over the grand army of the architecht. In the begining Arthur finds that a higher nizithing was placed in his world and then touches a shilling of sir thursday and is automaticaly drafted into his enemy's army. Then while Dame Primus tries to destroy the nithling he is sent to fight the new nithling who are led by the piper who led all of the piper children to the house. Arthur frees part four of the will and takes the fourth key. After that he destroys the new nithling army.
I liked this book because of how it is masterly writen. The book has just the right mix of action, adventure, and strangeness to make a book good. The books before this though I have not explained them are equely as good and all involve Arthur. I have had a hard time finding the books though because I read drowned wendsday (the third book) befor I finished sixth grade. This book I think strikes me because of the different things about betrayal and power being seperated out amongst few overpowered perfect dezins and being wrestled from a kid seems appealing to me. This series is one of the best I have read. ( )
  williamf.b4 | Oct 22, 2013 |

Garth Nixprimary authorall editionscalculated
Corduner, AllanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevens, TimIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Anna, Thomas, Edward and all my family and friends.
With special thanks to David Levithan, most patient editor.
The westernmost extent of the Great Maze ended in a line of mountains.

The stellar fourth book in Garth Nix's masterpiece series... now in paperback!

On the fourth day there was war...
Following their adventures in the Border Sea, Arthur and Leaf head for home. But only Leaf gets through the Front Door. Arthur is blocked because someone . . . or something . . . has assumed his identity and is taking over his life.
Before Arthur can take action, he is drafted by Sir Thursday and forced to join the Glorious Army of the Architect. While Leaf tries to banish Arthur's doppleganger on earth, Arthur must survive his basic training, avoid getting posted to the Front and work out how he can free Part Four of the Will....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:18 -0400)

When Arthur is drafted into the Glorious Army of the Architect by Sir Thursday, he must survive basic training, avoid getting posted to the Front, and figure out how to free Part Four of the Will, while Leaf tries to banish Arthur's doppleganger on Earth.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,065,794 books! | Top bar: Always visible