The Truth-Teller's Tale by Sharon Shinn

The Truth-Teller's Tale (2005)

by Sharon Shinn

I was indeed enchanted by this original and insightful YA trilogy. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I really enjoy Shinn's writing, but I didn't like this quite as much as the previous book in this series, "The Safe-Keeper's Secret."
It's a stand-alone story, although reading the first one first would help, a little bit, as far as understanding the premise behind this 'world.'
In this story, the romance is front and center, and the 'fantasy' aspects take a (very) background role. Adele and Eleda are 'mirror twins' - seeingly identical, but with very different personalities. One becomes a 'safe-keeper' - honor bound to never spill a secret, the other a 'truth-teller' - pledged to always speak even difficult truths. Their similar appearance can lead to trouble!

I like the scenario a lot, but I felt that the previous book dealt deftly with complex ethical issues, and this one just kinda got everyone happily hooked up with their true love, while actually ignoring some of the social issues brought up by the plotline.

I'd still recommend this for fans of fairytale-style fiction. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
After the twists in The Safe-Keeper’s Secret nothing in this second book came as a surprise. It was obvious the newcomers from the royal city were the missing prince and his cousin. I was very happy with the story up until they arrived in part 2. For some reason I couldn’t bring myself to like Gregory (Tobin).

I loved the twins Adele, a safe-keeper and Eleda, a truth-teller - mirror images of one another (one left-handed, the other right, both have one green eye and one blue but in different eyes) yet so different. I liked that Eleda’s ability to ascertain truth from lie failed to work when she fell for Edgar’s charms, blinded by love and blind to the truth of him. The guilt and shame she felt when she learned what he did to another girl on the night she was supposed to secretly meet him.

Fiona’s appearance in this left me wondering how things were with Reed. I wanted to know if they were living happily ever after. It was interesting to see Fiona’s mother Melinda in her role as the dream-maker though I wouldn’t have minded seeing mother and daughter interacting.

The inclusion of the first two chapters of The Dream-Maker’s Magic has intrigued me so I’ll definitely be reading it sometime soon.
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
I really do enjoy this series. While it's not required to read them in order (I didn't), I would recommend reading the first book before the others as those events are vaguely--very vaguely--referenced in this book. In any case, I liken reading this series to watching a movie version of the Jane Austen novel Persuasion. They're a bit slow, very quiet, a little dreamy, but ultimately feel quite rewarding at the end. ( )
  Krumbs | Mar 31, 2013 |
The book Truth Tellers Tale is an amazing young adult fiction which takes place in Meredon, the royal kingdom. The young twins Eleda and Adele whose parents are inn keepers at the Leaf & Berry, have thier average teen struggles while carrying the burden of knowing thier best friend, Roelynn, is assigned to marry the prince, Darian. Eleda who is the point of view, shars her thoughts on crazy events that happen throughout the years of her being a truth teler and her sister, Adele being a safe keeper. A safe keeper is one who will not repeat a secret to anyone if told. A truth teller is one who cannot keep a secret and cannot tell a lie. Roelynn though does not want anything to do with the prince and goes into rebbelion against her father by flirting and dating unfit men against her friends and families advice and worries. When two extreamly handsome men who claim to be dance instructors come to the Leaf & Berry things start to become strange and the dance teachers have a secret they're not telling anyone. Even though this annoys Eleda she cant help but feel butterflies in her tummy when shes near the older of the two dance instructrs. But with Roelynn falling in love what will happen with the arranged marraige? ( )
  Bailey_Fin | Sep 14, 2012 |
When will a dream be thwarted,
No matter what dues were paid?
When is the truth distorted
And a confidence betrayed?
~ For Sheila ~
who always tells the truth

~ And Alice ~
who knows how to keep a secret
What would you say if I told you there was a time a Safe-Keeper told a secret, a Truth-Teller told a lie, and a Dream-Maker did everything in her power to make sure a wish went astray?

Innkeeper’s daughters Adele and Eleda are “mirror twins”—identical twins whose looks are reflections of each other’s—and their special talents are like mirrors, too. Adele is a Safe-Keeper, entrusted with hearing and never revealing others’ secrets; Eleda is a Truth-Teller, who cannot tell a lie when asked a direct question. The town of Merendon relies on the twins, no one more than their best friend, Roelynn Karro, whose strict, wealthy father is determined to marry her off to the prince. When the girls are seventeen, a handsome dancing-master and his apprentice come to stay at the inn, and thus begins a chain of romance, mistaken identity, and some very surprising truths and falsehoods.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:37 -0400)

Twins Eleda, who can tell only the truth, and Adele, who cannot reveal others' secrets, are sorely tested by a newly arrived pair of handsome dance instructors who seem to harbor a secret.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,498,806 books! | Top bar: Always visible