Een kat tussen de duiven by Agatha Christie

Een kat tussen de duiven (original 1959; edition 1990)

by Agatha Christie

Member:vvstokkom
Title:Een kat tussen de duiven
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Amsterdam Luitingh-Sijthoff cop. 1990
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:**
Tags:Detective, Poirot

Cat Among the Pigeons by Agatha Christie (1959)

Recently added byprivate library, rajivaggy, weber93, BekahShea, bohemima, StevenCarter, dreamydress48, seitherin
Legacy LibrariesAyn Rand
    Hickory Dickory Dock by Agatha Christie (Porua)
    Porua: Just as Cat among the Pigeons is set at a girls' school, Hickory Dickory Dock is set at a hostel for students. Those who have enjoyed the atmosphere of carefree school days of Cat among the Pigeons, will also enjoy the ups and downs in the lives of the young (if slightly older) students living at the hostel in Hickory Dickory Dock.… (more)

English (47)  Danish (2)  All (1)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  All (55)
Last year I didn't do a very good job of participating in the monthly meme Crime Fiction of the Year Challenge @ Past Offences. I completed reading all the Agatha Christie novels more or less in order of publication in 2014, but last year I found that I was missing my occasional dose of Christie.

So I've decided that this year I will try to read an Agatha Christie novel each month for the appropriate year in the Crime Fiction of the Year Challenge (if one is available).

Having made that decision, I wondered whether a re-reading would bore me. I originally read this novel for the Agatha Christie Reading Challenge in June 2013, and it wasn't new to me then. My review is here. The novel is listed as the 32nd Poirot novel, and my records show it as the 51st Agatha Christie novel.

There were a couple of aspects of particular interest. Firstly the background is a revolution in the Middle East in a fictitious Sheikdom. Prince Ali Yusuf has tried to force change on his kingdom too quickly and has to flee the country. Politics in the Middle East were obviously of great interest to Agatha Christie. Since reading the novel in 2013 I have visited Abu Dhabi a couple of times. Sheik Zayed I modernised his country too, but didn't suffer a revolution.

Second was the character of the principal of Meadowbank School. Miss Bulstrode (and her assistant Miss Chadwick) reminded very strongly of three female school principals that I had met. All were principals of girl's schools. The first school was a metropolitan high school where I was doing my final year of secondary schooling, the second was an elite girls college where I was a junior housemistress, and the third a metropolitan high school at which I was a young teacher. All were women of vision, very strong, very charismatic. Agatha Christie drew Honoria Bulstrode so well, as she did the faithful Chaddy who helped Bulstrode carry out her dream.

Another issue that was of interest was Miss Bulstrode's intention to retire but to groom her successor to eventually take over. In each of the cases I mentioned earlier the issue of succession was a problem, and I well remember, in the first school, the resentment of the students when the principal retired abruptly at the end of the first term. Her successor had a very rough time of it indeed.

So no, I wasn't bored with the re-reading, although I could actually remember most of the plot strands. Poirot doesn't make an appearance until nearly half way through the novel, but it was interesting to see how he related to Miss Bulstrode too.
I think I appreciated Christie's insight a little more than I did three years ago: I have given it a slightly higher rating. ( )
  smik | Jan 7, 2017 |
As expected, a very nice read. Just beware that—unlike in the movie—Poirot only shows up in the last two chapters of this book. ( )
  MrsRK | Nov 21, 2016 |
When this was published Christie had already been a best-selling author for more than three decades. She's got it down. Certainly she has fun with the format. Hercule Poirot doesn't appear, isn't even mentioned, until the final act. The girl's school setting is fun: it gives her rein to use all the stereotypes and to demolish them.

This particular book was on Natasha's shelf, which is why I didn't get to it during my Christie run. Saturday night she comes to tell me goodnight and to ask if I know why the book is there. And even though I can't remember what day it is, I was able to tell her that she picked it out at a library book sale, because she recognized the author. Alternatively, every bookcase is required to have at least one Christie. Or, maybe, a book is just a clever disguise for aliens who've come to observe us. After two hours of increasingly random speculation about space, and teleportation, and replicators, she finally went off to bed, leaving the book with me, because now it felt slightly sinister.

Subtle evil plan to acquire all the books is working. "Maniacal laugh, maniacal laugh, maniacal laugh." Personal copy now. ( )
  Kaethe | Oct 16, 2016 |
At an exclusive girls school in England a series of unfortunate events occur that threaten the teachers, students, and reputation of the school. After 2 murders and a kidnapping, the local authorities are stumped as to the murders identity.

This is one of the few Agatha Christie murder mysteries I did not enjoy. It claims to be a Hercule Poirot mystery, however he doesn't even enter the story until page 183. The characters were of Christie's normal assortment, but the ending wasn't as much of a twist as other mysteries. ( )
  sszkutak | Sep 28, 2016 |
a good book for an essay- enjoyable with a good plot and charcters. The ending was somewhat suprising and easy to summarize. ( )
  katcoviello | Sep 21, 2016 |

Agatha Christieprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ballanti, LidiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Boncompagni, MauroForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Christensen, JanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Laine, Anna-LiisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Stella and Larry Kirwan
It was the opening day of the summer term at Meadowbank school.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425205967, Mass Market Paperback)

The new-look series of Hercule Poirot books for the 21st century. Late one night, two teachers investigate a mysterious flashing light in the sports pavilion, while the rest of the school sleeps. There, among the lacrosse sticks, they stumble upon the body of the unpopular games mistress - shot through the heart from point blank range. The school is thrown into chaos when the 'cat' strikes again. Unfortunately, schoolgirl Julia Upjohn knows too much. In particular, she knows that without Hercule Poirot's help, she will be the next victim -

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:21 -0400)

Late one night, two teachers investigate a mysterious flashing light in the sports pavilion, while the rest of the school sleeps. There, among the lacrosse sticks, they stumble upon the body of the unpopular games mistress - shot through the heart from point blank range. The school is thrown into chaos when the 'cat' strikes again. Unfortunately, schoolgirl Julia Updike knows too much. In particular, she knows that without Hercule Poirot's help, she will be the next victim.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,488,204 books! | Top bar: Always visible