Ancient Egypt by Joanna Cole

Ancient Egypt

by Joanna Cole

Summary of Book: Ms. Frizzle and a group of people decide to go on a trip to Egypt with a tour guide. Instead of going to modern Egypt with the tour guide, Ms. Frizzle and the group end up in Ancient Egypt because of her special time travelling device. When the group gets there, they learn about everything from papyrus being used as paper to how Egyptians built pyramids and used mummification. They return to present time in the end where their tour guide thinks they've missed everything and the group laughs it off humorously by telling him they didn't miss anything!

Personal Reaction to the Book: I find ancient cultures and civilizations fascinating so it was a very interesting book to me. Even though the "timeline" itself in the book wasn't a hundred percent accurate for what we know about ancient Egypt, it does give children an overview of it.

Extension Ideas:
1. Have children learn more about the process of ancient Egyptian mummification and then have them do a kid friendly version of it and write about it. Then bring supplies to class (like dressings to wrap something in for example) to let students practice doing it on their own.
2. Try to schedule a field trip to Egypt to visit many historical sites, such as the pyramids so that they may learn and experience it in person. If that is not an option (like for many of us), use technology to create a virtual field trip with the children inside the classroom. ( )
  sean_s | Apr 16, 2017 |
Cute book with a lot of interesting lessons about Ancient Egypt. Like all Magic School Bus books, I find the comic book style and all the insets and sidenotes a little distracting from the overall story, BUT my 7-year-old really liked them, particularly all the insets about Egyptian gods and goddesses. Overall, a nice, pun-filled and interesting overview of some highlights of ancient Egyptian history. :) ( )
  chessakat | Feb 5, 2016 |
Entertaining childrens book for young readers illustrated similiar to a comic book. Written like a class trip, it will keep a child entertained with an adventure-like tale of parachuting out of an airplane and travelling back in time to Ancient Egypt. Facts are placed in smaller captions at the bottom of the pages to initiate discussion. ( )
  BrennonJ | Jan 18, 2013 |
Ms. Frizzle's adventure this time takes us back to ancient Egypt to learn about its culture and history. Ms. Frizzle and the other people from the plane go around visiting different sites and learning about how ancient Egypt ran.

I liked how informative this book was, but at the same time it can be a little too informative at once. Each page is filled with so much information that it is very easy to get overwhelmed.

This book would be great to use in a lesson over ancient Egypt. I might have the students make their own pyramids out of Legos as well. ( )
  AwXomeMan | Dec 11, 2009 |
340L,GRL L,GL 3.1,AR 3.9,1 copy
  Totarobookroom | Jul 25, 2009 |

Cole, Joannaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Degen, BruceIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0590446819, Paperback)

Ms. Frizzle, science teacher extraordinaire (in the tremendously popular Magic School Bus series by Joanna Cole and illustrator Bruce Degen), parachutes into social studies in the first of the new series from the same creative pair. On the first day of school vacation, the inimitable, redheaded Ms. Frizzle joins a tour group bound for Egypt. When the plane trip gets too monotonous, Ms. Frizzle invites the group to jump ship with her. Somehow, tour guide Herb ends up in contemporary Cairo, while everyone else lands in ancient Egypt! Here's where Ms. Frizzle's teaching skills come in handy. By the end of the vacation, members of the tour group--and readers--have learned more about mummies, pyramids, Re the sun god, and ancient Egyptian's teeth than they ever imagined.

With their familiar blend of information sharing and humor, Cole and Degen present what might in any other format be an overwhelming amount of information in a lively, entertaining, easy-to-absorb style. Full-color cartoon-style text and illustrations allow readers to explore Egypt even as Ms. Frizzle and her inadvertent students do the same. Witty asides take the shape of travel diaries, postcards home, and messages on Herb's megaphone ("I'm the tour guide!", "Help! I lost my tour group!"). Ms. Frizzle's sly pretended ignorance at times also makes for high hilarity. "I can't imagine how that happened. Can you?" she says, after the airplane door somehow swings open. If only all education was this much fun! (Ages 5 to 8) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:37 -0400)

Ms. Frizzle and her tour group are transported to ancient Egypt, where they learn about the pyramids, mummification, flooding of the Nile, and other aspects of life in Egypt long ago.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,725,790 books! | Top bar: Always visible