No title (1949)

Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

Arabella by Georgette Heyer (1949)

Recently added byRedEyedNerd, private library, ChristinaT., LisaMorr, mylongday, Eowyn1, MotoNeNe, Aneris

English (48)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All (50)
I thoroughly enjoyed Arabella by Georgette Heyer, it was the perfect light read for my busy life right now. Rather than the heroine of the piece, this time it was the male main character that raised this book up a few notches. Robert Beaumaris is one of Heyer’s most swoon-worthy heroes. His kindness, humor and intelligence put him heads and shoulders above all the other London gentlemen and his conversations with his dog, Ulysses, were my favorite part of the book.

The story is about Arabella a vicar’s daughter who is given a season in London with the objective of snaring herself a rich husband in order to help launch her brothers and sisters. Through a misunderstanding she allows herself to be taken as an heiress and soon she is besieged with men. Of course she only has eyes for Beaumaris but as she feels guilty about the lie she is living as well as having been warned off of him by her godmother, she holds herself at a distance. When Arabella’s brother comes to London and gets in trouble financially, Arabella finally turns to Beaumaris for help.

With perfect period detail, witty and engaging writing and wonderful characters, Arabella was another Georgette Heyer masterpiece. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Dec 2, 2016 |
Arabella has been waiting for me to get to it for quite some time. I don’t know if I should be kicking myself for not reading it earlier or be happy for enjoying it this much now. If there ever was a book whose blurb doesn’t do its job then Arabella is that book.

I loved the way Heyer introduced Arabella Tallant’s lovely family, the way they live, how much her parents love each other and their children, the way the impoverished Vicar educated his sons and daughters and so much more, but I didn’t like knowing that she will do something 'impetuos'. The moment she says she is an heiress she knows she made a mistake, but the story went too fast for her to do anything about it.
It is hilarious to see how all those fortune-hunting families are devastated when the Nonpareil gives all his attention to Arabella.

I loved both protagonists. Robert Beaumaris’s way of dealing with Arabella is lovely. The flow of the story is perfect. When the realization hits, you are neither surprised nor angry for waiting too long. It is simply perfect. They actually spend enough time together, getting to know each other better, with a lot of surprises along the way.

I was afraid her brother will hijack the story at one point, but although he did get more than enough pages of his own, in the end it all flawlessly connected with the main story and made sense.
There are so many things I loved in this book.

Arabella is even comforted by an urchin. Now, that encounter is one of the best moments in the story. Up until that moment Robert Beaumaris was amusing himself and falling in love without noticing, but this gave him the perfect opportunity to really see how extraordinarily unbent Arabella is when it comes to justice.

And to make it even better there is Ulysses. The way the dog and Robert Beaumaris adopted each other and the way Robert consulted the animal was beyond lovely. ( )
  Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |

There are so many things I loved in this book.

Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |
First I thought that there were so many tropes of Regency Romance in this story and then I realised that this is the source of several of them. The rescued pet, the little lie that grows beyond all recognition, the slow growing romance between the two main characters where they suddenly look up and realise that romance has blossomed despite the two leads trying to resist. Overall it's a sweet story of the daughter of an impoverished parson, Arabella and Robert Beaumaris, the most eligible man about town.

It did take me a while to get into it but once I got in I found it hard to put it down. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Sep 26, 2016 |
One of Heyer's best. Full of period detail,especially of the London fashions, but also really funny. It's rare that a book makes me laugh out loud, but this one did.

The thing I like best about Heyer's characters is their lack of self-deception. In so many romance novels, there are endless variations of characters who fail to spot the obvious: namely that they love the other person and that the other person loves them.

Heyer sensibly uses other means to keep her potential lovers separated. A tall story of wealth, created on the spur of the moment to insult a rich man who is well used to women using all kinds of fake accidents and excuses to make his acquaintance, comes back to haunt Arabella when she realises that she could love this man, but will have to confess to her lack of money after the 'heiress' story has spread all around London.

The real joy of this tale lies in the fact that Mr Beaumaris spots the lie right from the start, but enjoys playing along with it.

It's Araballa's principles, a result of her upbringing in a vicarage that really draw her to Beaumaris's attention. If she believes something to be right, she will do it regardless of what society thinks. To a man who is so rich that he can ignore society himself, but also suffers from everyone always trying to imitate and flatter him, this is entertaining and a big point in her favour. ( )
  JudithProctor | Jul 4, 2016 |

Georgette Heyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Nash, PhyllidaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The schoolroom in the Parsonage at Heythram was not a large apartment, but on a bleak January day, in a household where the consumption of coals was a consideration, this was not felt by its occupants to be a disadvantage.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0373835558, Mass Market Paperback)

The prolific Georgette Heyer--author of more than 70 novels--is perhaps best known for her Regency romances. A consummate storyteller, Heyer was also an astute historian of the times she wrote about; every detail of the language, dress, and customs rings with authenticity. Arabella is one of Heyer's most charming Regency novels. In it, young Arabella Tallant, the beautiful daughter of an impoverished clergyman, comes to London for her social debut and almost immediately runs afoul of Robert Beaumaris, a wealthy, eligible aristocrat. Beaumaris suspects that Arabella engineered a carriage accident in order to meet him; Arabella, in a rage, leads him to believe that she is the heiress to a massive fortune and thus quite uninterested in his own riches.

Having set the stage for inevitable misunderstandings between this arrogant Romeo and hotheaded Juliet, Heyer then peoples it with unforgettable secondary characters. Arabella's warm heart and strong principles lead her to befriend such unsavory types as an abused apprentice to a chimney sweep, a stray dog, and a fallen woman happily known as "Leaky Peg"--all of whom she foists on the reluctant but gallant Mr. Beaumaris. Arabella is an intelligent, witty romp--both a romance with a hearty sense of humor and a historical novel that remains true to the times it depicts.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:24 -0400)

When Arabella Tallant meets Robert Beaumaris, an arrogant bachelor, she is horrified when he accuses her of being just another in a long line of women who are interested in him only for his money. Determined to save face, Arabella tells a lie--declaring that the last thing she needs is a rich husband because she happens to be an heiress herself. When word of Arabella's "wealth" leaks out, she finds herself pursued by every fortune hunter in London--but has Arabella's lie cost her her one chance at true love?… (more)

Sourcebooks Casablanca

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Casablanca.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,811,500 books! | Top bar: Always visible