Why I Killed Peter by Alfred

Why I Killed Peter

by Alfred, Olivier Ka (Author)

756160,370 (4)1

French (3)  English (3)  All (6)
The final book, in my Christmas Day stack, has been read. Another graphic novel, this one disturbing. I was left with questions . . was this story - about childhood sexual abuse - true? The book, on the flyleaf, is classified as an autobiographical graphic novel. . . a bit of online research confirms that it is, indeed, autobiographical. There is a starkness to the story . . the facts are presented matter-of-factly . . without embellishment and with an amazing lack of emotion until the final chapters. The book is graphic, descriptive and somewhat cathartic . . the illustrations and photographs stark and very effective. The book left me feeling conflicted . . . is it a painful memoir or a masterpiece? Five stars . . not for the feint of heart.
  idajo | May 8, 2016 |
In graphic-novel format, Oliver describes how a friendly new priest arrives in town and ends up sexually molesting Oliver at a youth summer camp. The incident haunts Oliver, until finally, as a 35-year-old, he decides to confront his demons by putting it all down in a graphic novel and returning to the summer camp. A memorable presentation of a searing experience. I can see it inspiring similar victims. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
The art is very well done, but the English translation is...not. Read the French language version. ( )
  Beezie | Mar 16, 2011 |
I think it’s probably more effective as therapy than reading material, but it does shed light on the emotions of someone trapped in this kind of situation.

Alfredprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ka, OlivierAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 156163543X, Hardcover)

"Peter was a populist priest. He was cool. He was funny. He was no priest, just a regular guy. It’s like I had another uncle. A great one, who laughed, who sang, who tickled. Until he took us for summer camp. Until we were so close, temptation came in the picture." Based on a true story that the writer experienced himself, this graphic novel presents very simply the grey areas in such a situation, how he had tucked the whole episode deep within him but then how his rage and self-pity let it all out and finally revisiting the man when close to death and his coming to grips. A very moving , topical and important work, sensitively presented.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:19 -0400)

"'Peter was a populist priest. He was cool. He was funny. He was no priest, just a regular guy. It's like I had another uncle. A great one, who laughed, who sang, who tickled. Until he took us for summer camp. Until we were so close, temptation came into the picture.' Based on a true story that the writer experienced himself, this graphic novel presents very simply the grey areas in such a situation, how he had tucked the whole episode deep within himself, but then how his rage and self-pity let it all out, and how finally revisiting the man when he was close to death helped him come to grips with it."--Amazon.com.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,059,598 books! | Top bar: Always visible