Dear Diary by Sara Fanelli

Dear Diary (edition 2001)

by Sara Fanelli

Collections:Books
Rating:***
Tags:book, fiction, picturebook

Dear Diary by Sara Fanelli

Can I say that I love the whole concept of this book? The book is written and illustrated as a personal diary. All the text is hand written and changes hand-writing from character to character. The thing I like about this book is instead of focusing on one character’s perspective, the author chooses to show the perspective of different characters in the same setting. She shifts from the little girl Lucy to the chair, to the spider and even the fork and knife. Each character’s diary pages is unique but they all connect to one another. I like the Fanelli’s illustration style of collage and hand writing as opposed to typed print. There is so much on each page that every time you reread a page you notice something different. My only concern about this book is most of the text is written in script. Many schools these day have an emphasis on keyboarding and script as become obsolete. I fear in the future same students will not be able to read this book. ( )
  TiffanyA | Jan 26, 2016 |
This book was very interesting. I liked how each diary entry was written in s different writing. It was s little difficult to read some of the things because they were so scattered, but that is usually how a real diary is. I would not read this book to a class because of the confusion, but I would recommend someone to read this book on their own. ( )
  krausch | Mar 26, 2015 |
This book was different, it would be something to use to teach point of view in writing but it was a little hard to follow especially with the different pictures and handwriting all over the pages. ( )
  ghimbert | Feb 8, 2013 |
This book was...odd. Everything about it was so different. The storyline consists of diary entries of quite a few characters from the story, right down to the fork and spoon used at dinnertime. It starts with an entry from a little girl named Lucy, she tells about her day at school, playing with her dog, and having dinner with her family. The other entries come from: the chair in the classroom, the spider who was spotted by the chair on the ceiling, the firefly who traveled with the spider, the fork and knife used at Lucy's dinner, Lucy's dog Bubu, the ladybug Lucy took to school that day, and then Lucy ends it with a p.s. at the end. The illustrations are done through collage (making some of the characters quite creepy looking in my opinion), and the words are hand lettered. I suppose I could use it to teach point of view, but I'm not sure that I would as the words are so difficult to make out. ( )
  jrlandry1410 | Oct 26, 2011 |
This is a clever account of Lucy's day from very different point of view. The chair that was knocked over, the spider that was on the ceiling, Lucy's dog Bubu, and even the knife and fork that were used at the party Lucy's parents threw. Very cute and engaging. This would be great to show students that you see things one way and others may see the same thing a different way. Also could be used as an example of creative writing. The illustrations are very interesting and resemble what a true diary may look like with doodles and scribbles. ( )
  mmwrigh3 | Sep 26, 2011 |

Experience a day at school and a dinner party from seven different points of view, including a little girl, a dog, a ladybug and a chair.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,012,708 books! | Top bar: Always visible