The Joy of Music by Leonard Bernstein

The Joy of Music (1954)

by Leonard Bernstein

309436,089 (3.69)1 / 4
Recently added byrwuc, amyem58, Conductor15, jarxg, private library, anandau, mm092855, jennypan408, tbeknoxlibrary
Legacy LibrariesAaron Copland, Ernest Hemingway

This really is Bernstein's Joy of Music, all that he loves about it and why, with some musical knowledge helpful but not needed. The initial chapters were all conversations on music with a variety of people and very enjoyable the later half was scripts from some television programs that he did. They might have been better with the music included but still were quite enjoyable on their own. Refreshing and quite a treat, thanks Bhuri!
  amyem58 | Jul 3, 2014 |
Witty and insightful guide into some of the deeper meanings of music. The music scores added to the experience, especially when I decided to play the relevant pieces on Youtube, or something similar. Good stuff. ( )
  HadriantheBlind | Mar 29, 2013 |
When I was a little girl, there was a sporadic series of "specials" on Saturday afternoons called "Young People's Concerts." It was hosted by Leonard Bernstein, conducting the New York Philharmonic, and was my introduction to classical music. How I looked forward to those hours! I learned about musical modes, sonatas (illustrated by Bernstein's badly sung rendition of a Beatles' song), concertos, symphonies, and many other things that still enrich my life today.

This book is a synthesis of what Bernstein taught in those concerts. It's not quite as entertaining, although it still held my rapt attention -- for all his other talents, I think he loved teaching the best.

If you are ever fortunate enough to run across a copy of this book while you wander a used book shop, grab it. Hold onto it and pass it on to your children and grandchildren. Let the Maestro teach them how much joy all music -- not just rock -- can hold for them. ( )
1 vote bfgar | Nov 16, 2010 |
transcripts of his highly enlightening and successful young peoples concerts broadcasts ( )
  markbstephenson | Jun 8, 2010 |
This book is affectionately dedicated to HELEN COATES with deep appreciation for fifteen selfless years
Ever since I can remember I have talked about music, with friends, colleagues, teachers, students, and just plain, simple citizens.

(Amadeus). This classic work is perhaps Bernstein's finest collection of conversations on the meaning and wonder of music. This book is a must for all music fans who wish to experience music more fully and deeply through one of the most inspired, and inspiring, music intellects of our time. Employing the creative device of "Imaginary Conversations" in the first section of his book, Bernstein illuminates the importance of the symphony in America, the greatness of Beethoven, and the art of composing. The book also includes a photo section and a third section with the transcripts from his televised Omnibus music series, including "Beethoven's Fifth Symphony," "The World of Jazz," "Introduction to Modern Music," and "What Makes Opera Grand."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:22 -0400)

Employing the creative device of "Imaginary Conversations" in the first section of his book, Bernstein illuminates the importance of the symphony in America, the greatness of Beethoven, and the art of composing. The book also includes a photo section and a third section with the transcripts from his televised Omnibus music series, including "Beethoven's Fifth Symphony," "The World of Jazz," "Introduction to Modern Music," and "What Makes Opera Grand?"… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,613,063 books! | Top bar: Always visible