The Brand You 50 : Or : Fifty Ways to…

The Brand You 50 : Or : Fifty Ways to Transform Yourself from an…

by Tom Peters

Some good information here to get you started thinking about what your personal brand is and how to build it, nested in a ton of filler and a heinous number of font sizes and colors.

This book had me by turns saying, "oh, but I should really be doing that" and "golly, but I'm just not into my career as the basis of my identity". The second reaction was primary, and when I added that with a bit of guilt over not being a Careerist and the eyeball-bleeding presentation, I took an unusual 10 months to complete the book.

I benefited a bit from it in terms of thinking about and embracing what I bring to the table, but I'm not really turned on to The Brand You 50. However, I am apparently an outlier when I bestow a rating between "Eek! Methinks not." and "Meh. I've experienced better." ( )
  pammab | Apr 5, 2014 |
This was a quick read, with a number of ideas for personal/career development. The frequent use of caps and hyphens was a little wierd, but otherwise, this book was an easy read. ( )
  dukefan86 | May 29, 2013 |
Having this book is like having your own coach, with a personal trainer style (always there, always smiling, always encouraging.)The ideas are good, just a little overwhelming...50 of them Clearly the market is changing, employers ask for perfect people,and looking out for number one is more and more essential.
  carterchristian1 | Sep 24, 2010 |
Tom Peters provides some tremendous strategies. A real shake up, per say. Really good for personal productivity and development. I highly recommend. ( )
  markdeo | Apr 25, 2009 |
I frequently and enthusiastically recommend this book. Peters helps you think about your strengths and how to make them clear to others. ( )
  jpsnow | Jun 17, 2008 |
The fundamental unit of the new economy is not the corporation but the individual. Tasks aren't assigned and controlled through a stable chain of management but rather are carried out automatically by independent contractors. These electronically connected freelancers -- e-lancers -- join together in fluid and temporary networks to produce and sell goods and services. When the job is done, the network dissolves and its members become independent agents again, circulating through the economy, seeking the next assignment -- Thomas Malone and Robert Laubacher, "The Dawn of the E-Lance Economy," Harvard Business Review
MJ, Oprah, and Martha,* inventors of the modern Brand You

*For the one-in-a-hundred-thousand who doesn't "get it": Jordan, Winfrey, and Stewart. (Real Brand Yous don't need full names!)
1954.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375407723, Hardcover)

If Dilbert and Tom Peters ever attended the same party, they'd probably find themselves in opposite corners. The cynical cartoon character would have a hard time in Peters's upbeat, high-energy world of "Cool-Beyond-Belief." The Brand You50 is Peters's manifesto for today's knowledge workers. It joins his Reinventing Work series, which includes The Projects50 and The Professional Service Firm50.

In The Brand You50, Peters sees a new kind of corporate citizen who believes that surviving means not blending in but standing out. He believes that "90+ percent of White Collar Jobs will be totally reinvented/reconceived in the next decade" and that job security means developing marketable skills, making yourself distinct and memorable, and developing your network ability. His list-filled prescriptions cover everything; for example, "You are Your Rolodex I: BRAND YOU IS A TEAM" (no. 22), "Consider your 'product line'" (no. 25), "Work on your Optimism" (no. 35), "Sell. SELL. SELL!!!" (no. 47). While the book is overwhelming at times--its hyperactive typography pretty much shouts at you--any baby boomer thinking about his or her career will find much to consider. --Harry C. Edwards

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:40 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,328,052 books! | Top bar: Always visible