Willy the Dreamer by Anthony Browne

Willy the Dreamer

by Anthony Browne

1241997,109 (3.81)2

This book was about a monkey who dreamed about being someone other than himself. He dreamed about being a giant, being small, being able to fly or not being able to run, to be an actor, singer, painter, writer, etc. He also dreamed of being out of the ordinary things, like a sumo wrestler and scuba diver, and explorer. This book was really cute because the monkey wanted to be everything but a monkey. I would extend it by having the monkey act out being a couple different things like actor or singer. Then I would actually have to extend it by having an adventurous part like with being an explorer or sumo wrestler.
  lf028176 | Jan 19, 2017 |
I'm not sure I recognized every inspiration, but it was a lot of fun seeing Willy dip his toe into Dali, Magritte, Baum, etc. An appendix seems mandatory, but is missing. I'm not sure I actually feel and enriched understanding of the inspirational works, either - but I imagine a child with an artistic sensibility, or a child of parents who are culturally astute would get more out of this than I did. I'm impressed by everything of Browne's that I've found, but I don't think he stretched himself full-out on this one. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Willy dreams about being a movie star, a singer, an explorer, a scuba diver, and various other things. He also dreams about becoming famous and reminisces about his past. It is great for the younger grades because of its simple story plot and beautiful illustrations. It can connect to young children's dreams about the future. ( )
  Kdd026 | Apr 27, 2015 |
Astounding illustrations are evocative of deeper themes beneath the surface of this apparently simple book. ( )
  Audacity88 | Jan 17, 2015 |
I cannot praise this man enough, his mind must be going a thousand miles a minute at all hours of the day. I can only imagine. To daydream as Willy does must be a marvelous thing. ( )
1 vote ravjohns | Oct 3, 2013 |

Willy dreams of being a movie star, a singer, a sumo wrestler, an artist, a giant, and other exciting figures.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,932,711 books! | Top bar: Always visible