Chocolate and Zucchini: Daily Adventures in…

Chocolate and Zucchini: Daily Adventures in a Parisian Kitchen

by Clotilde Dusoulier

I liked the recipes but mostly I loved the way she talked about food. I wanted to make everything in this book just because she made it all sound like the best thing *ever*. ( )
  E.J | Apr 3, 2013 |
The book of what was named the 'world's best food blog' by Observer Food Monthly. Beautiful food with accompanying chat / blog. Broken into three sections : Simplicity (e.g. Salads and Sandwiches), Entertaining (e.g. Aperitif and Dinner Party) and Sweet Things (e.g. Cakes and Tarts). This should help bring Parisian elan into all our kitchens.
  Carrie.deSilva | Aug 28, 2011 |
I feel a little guilty rating a cookbook without actually testing the recipes first, but it was a really nice read. And beautifully laid out. I've never read the blog, although I'd heard of it. I loved the idea of a French person being uninterested in cuisine until moving to the U.S. -- it seems so upside-down. Really enjoyed the irreverent writing (and that's supposed to be very hard to pull off in a second language). So many recipes are so simple, and don't require anything exotic. Best of all, there are many variations and substitution ideas provided, for when you either lack a component or don't care for it. Should be particularly handy when summer returns. ( )
  kristenn | Jan 1, 2010 |
I am a kitchen enthusiast, but even so, it is not common for me to read a cookbook cover to cover. I was not searching for a recipe; I was not planning a weekly grocery list. Instead, I was simply drawn into what Clotilde Dusoilier has to say about food.

She paints vivid images of culinary creations, using historical, cultural, and familiar dialogues. She is able to share snippets of food history and background, without drowning me in data that is soon to be forgotten, letting me hold onto the information long enough to process its relevance in her introduction to the recipe. She details French cooking in a way that makes me understand why it is both an art form and achievable by the likes of me, that even soufflés that fall can still be tasty. She makes it clear that adventures in a kitchen can and should be a lifetime endeavor. Childhood memories can bring the pursuit of the perfect mashed potatoes into a full life cycle. The personal stories have made me appreciate the time I spend in the kitchen with and for my husband and children, hoping that they are creating memories that will spark them to love the exploration of food even more.

I was a follower of the blog, Chocolate and Zucchini, before picking this cookbook up. I think I took more away from the cookbook than I ever have from the blog. The connections, the groupings, the continuity all make this a strong cookbook, especially for those who are ready to learn not just recipes, or even how to begin to create your own, but how recipes can be connected to your life in both the minutia and the grand. ( )
1 vote HippieLunatic | Aug 22, 2008 |
Not only are these excellent recipes, but it's a beautiful book. Clotilde has run the Chocolate and Zucchini website for some time prior to the book and so it was one of those few books that I actually pre ordered, I was so excited. It didn't dissapoint and I am going to get a copy for my Mum. ( )
  hagelrat | Aug 21, 2008 |

Clotilde Dusoulier is a twenty-seven-year-old Parisian who adores sharing her love of all things food-related—recipes, inspirations, restaurant experiences, and above all the pleasure of cooking with the fresh ingredients found in her local Montmartre shops. But her infatuation with food was born not in her mother’s Parisian kitchen, but in San Francisco, where she moved after college and discovered a new world of tastes. When she returned to her beloved France, her culinary exploits inspired her popular and critically acclaimed blog, ChocolateandZucchini.com.

In her first book, Dusoulier provides a glimpse into the life of a young Parisian as she savors all that the city has to offer and shares her cooking philosophy in the form of more than 75 recipes that call for healthy ingredients (such as zucchini) and more indulgent tastes (such as chocolate). The Los Angeles Times calls her recipes "simple, charming, and fun."

Appetizers such as Cumin Cheese Puffs, sandwiches and tarts like Tomato Tatin, soups like Chestnut and Mushroom, main dishes including Mustard Chicken Stew, and desserts like Chocolate and Caramel Tart can all be found alongside menus for entertaining, as well as tips for throwing cocktail or dinner parties with French flair. Chocolate & Zucchini is the book for anyone who has journeyed to Paris and can still recall the delicious flavors and aromas—or for those of us who only dream about them.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:06 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,571,210 books! | Top bar: Always visible