White Corridor by Christopher Fowler

White Corridor

by Christopher Fowler

Series: Bryant and May (5)

The Claw by Norah Lofts (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: The Claw is darker, with richer character exposition.

Years ago, I read the first book in Fowler's Bryant and May series and didn't care for it at all, but always at the back of my mind, I thought there might have been extenuating circumstances. You see, I read Full Dark House while on my very first trip to the UK, and I'm pretty sure my brain was on sensory overload. I am very happy to announce that I thoroughly enjoyed this fifth book in the series, and now I'm wanting to catch up with all the adventures of these two men.

One of the small things that was so enjoyable was that Fowler increased my vocabulary. It's not often that writers use words that I'm not familiar with (and may I also add that the built-in dictionary is one of the perks of owning an eReader). Both storylines worked together extremely well. Everyone at the Peculiar Crimes Unit is used to having Bryant and May on hand to solve the crimes, but this time Sergeant Janice Longbright is in charge, and she's petrified that she's going to make a hash of it all. Then there's the young mother and son running from the homicidal maniac while the wind howls and the snow piles up. Fowler lets readers see things from several different perspectives, and my mind really got a workout trying to piece together the clues for both crimes.

As marvelous as the story is in White Corridor, the characters of Bryant and May are superb, especially if you like mysteries with flashes of brilliant humor. How old is Arthur Bryant? "Mr. Bryant is so old that most of his lifetime subscriptions have run out." One of the books in his office is Code-Breaking in Braille, and he planned the route to the psychics convention using a map printed in 1907. You'd never think in a million years that such a person could be any good at solving crimes or be allowed to get away with the things that he does. For the most part, John May is the slightly younger and steadier of the two, but at this stage of the game, May knows it's useless trying to rein in his determined partner. And as far as that "getting away with things" goes, as Fowler says in White Corridor, "The PCU got away with murder because few of their suspects ever did." And that's what it's all about, isn't it? Well, except for the fact that those two have a cell phone with a charge that seems to last till the end of time....

I am thrilled that I gave this series a second chance. Now I have fourteen books to read in order to catch up. Happy reading for me! ( )
  cathyskye | Jun 25, 2018 |
In the filing cabinets opposite were secret details of cases no other unit in the country had the ability to unravel. The PCU had earned the right to handle the kind of investigations no-one in the Metropolitan Police force had the faintest interest in solving. They had captured demons and devils, phantoms and monsters; not real ones, of course, mostly deluded loners who believed themselves invulnerable to the law. Individuals who had stolen, blackmailed and killed for tenebrous, private purposes, to protect themselves, to hide truths, to destroy enemies. Murder, Arthur Bryant insisted, was invariably a squalid, sad business driven by poverty and desperation, yet the cases passed to the Peculiar Crimes Unit had often been marked by paradox and absurdity. Sometimes they were the dream cases other detectives fantasised about resolving, but Bryant and May chose their staff with care, employing novices who were knowledgeable social misfits, in the same way that computer companies sometimes hired the very hackers who had attacked their clients from behind bedroom doors.

This was the fourth book in the Bryant & May series that I have read, and I found it an improvement on Seventy-Seven Clocks but not as good as Full Dark House or Ten-Second Staircase.

I enjoyed the goings-on in the PCU's offices in London much more than the crime that Bryant and May stumbled across in a snow-bound traffic jam on Dartmoor. ( )
  isabelx | Dec 15, 2017 |
White Corridor was my first Bryant and May mystery. I liked it very much. I didn't guess any of the secrets. If you don't like books with multiple viewpoints, this British whodunnit will not be to your taste. I found the Peculiar Crimes Unit interesting. The elderly detectives' ability to solve mysteries while trapped in a van in a blizzard impressed me. ( )
  JalenV | Nov 30, 2016 |
I started out not liking this book (I don't always "get" the Brits) but I stuck with it and ended up liking it very much. Very unusual elderly detectives and other quirky characters solves two crimes (one a locked room) in this clever and witty story. I think though, it would be better to start with the first in this series, as I was a little confused at times. ( )
  MCDyson | Mar 26, 2016 |
"Blending humor & brilliant detection...once again Fowler shows himself to be a master of the 'impossible' crime tale". -- Publishers Weekly

Really? I must have missed it.... At page 174 I flipped forward to find out who done it!

The humor (if any) was lost on me....or should I say lost to me.

Long, dry, overly drawn out!

Yawn! ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |

Christopher Fowlerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bull, RobertDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Coleman, SarahCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warren, Jamie S.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'In the depths of winter, I finally realised there was in me an invincible summer.'
Albert Camus
'The old know everything, including all the
secrets of the young.'
Gary Indiana
For Jim Sturgeon
(1944-2007)
The real Arthur Bryant
'Concentrate on the moth.'

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055358832X, Paperback)

It’s the classic locked-room mystery—a member of the Peculiar Crimes Unit killed inside a sealed morgue populated only by the dead and to which only four PCU members had a key. To make matters worse, the Unit has been shut down for a forced “vacation,” and Bryant and May are stuck in a van in the Dartmoor countryside during a freak snowstorm. Now they’ll have to crack the case by cell phone while trying to stop a second murder without freezing to death. For among the line of trapped vehicles, a killer is on the prowl, a beautiful woman is on the run, and an innocent child is caught in the middle….

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:14 -0400)

Heading for the International Spiritualists' Convention, John May and Arthur Bryant find themselves stranded along with dozens of other motorists by a massive blizzard and soon discover that a notorious killer is also stuck along the same remote stretch of highway.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,242,244 books! | Top bar: Always visible