The Cruel Stars of the Night by Kjell…

The Cruel Stars of the Night

by Kjell Eriksson

Series: Ann Lindell (6)

English (10)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  All (12)
I was surprised to learn that this was only Eriksson's second book about Ann Lindell (the chief investigator on the case). The police team characters seemed to have been together for awhile and the author does a great job conveying a sense of a long-standing team working well together. I was looking forward to finding earlier books of the series but I guess I have to be satisfied with there being only one.

I liked the book a lot despite the fact that, to me anyway, there was no mystery of who the killer had to be. The mystery was, why the obvious killer was the killer. It certainly wasn't obvious to the police who, except for Lindell, never made a connection between the old professor's disappearance and the murders of the old men.

I thought the bit with the chess pieces and the potential connection to an assassination attempt on the queen was a total distraction. It might have work better if the author had explained a bit better what the connection was. The old chess match history was interesting but I never did get the connection.

But that was only a minor complaint. On the whole I enjoyed the book quite a lot. I had a hard time putting it down. ( )
  capewood | Dec 8, 2014 |
Overall, a good mystery but how no one but a few convience store clerks did not figure out that Laura was starking raving mad is beyond me. Esp. Ann Lindell, who fell (quite literally) into the most basic of mystery plot traps. Overall, the relationships between the police officers is more of a focus than the mystery, which is not bad but the balance needs to be much better. Another one I'm glad I took from the library rather than buying it.
  amyem58 | Jul 15, 2014 |
While Inspector Ann Lindell and her colleagues in Uppsala are investigating the murder of an elderly farmer, another one is murdered. Then another elderly man dies. The murders must be connected, but the investigators are unable to find a common thread. Perhaps they're related to the disappearance of an elderly professor a few weeks earlier, but again, any connection isn't immediately apparent.

This is a fairly solid police procedural, but I didn't like it as well as the ones I've read by Karin Fossum. The police didn't seem to work well as a team. Perhaps that's the fault of the department head rather than a flaw in Lindell's character. Lindell did withhold important information from her colleagues, and she went off on her own to follow hunches. Both of these traits got her into trouble. I don't like cozy mysteries with amateur detectives who unthinkingly put themselves into dangerous situations, and it's even more unforgivable when the investigator is a professional. The book ended abruptly with some threads unresolved. I've come to accept this as a characteristic of many Scandi crime novels. Readers who prefer a tidy resolution to their crime fiction might want to skip this one. ( )
  cbl_tn | Apr 14, 2014 |
A hard-hitting suspense novel from Sweden -- well worth reading, even if it is not quite up to the standards of the same author's "Princess of Burundi". This one takes place in the university city of Uppsala, and evolves into a chase for a crazed serial killer. It features Inspector Ann Lindell, a plus, but I didn't find the some of the characters as convincing, or as interesting, as those in "Princess". ( )
  annbury | Sep 9, 2010 |
A 70-year-old professor is missing. A few months later, it is apparent that there is a serial murderer killing 70-year-old men. Is there a link between the missing man and the dead men? Inspector Ann Liddell in Uppsala sets out to investigate. The professor's daughter is acting strange. Is it because she's hiding something, or is she just crazy? This is a novel that plays with many layers. Sometimes the writing seems a bit choppy because chapters alternate between various viewpoints of characters, and some are very short. I really did not like the ending very well for a number of reasons--some upon which I cannot comment without revealing spoilers. I did not find the Inspector's actions plausible toward the end. Still, the book is an interesting venture into the world of Swedish crime fiction. ( )
  thornton37814 | Jul 18, 2010 |

Eriksson, Kjellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Segerberg, EbbaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'Has your father shown any signs of depression lately?'

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031236668X, Paperback)

Winner of the Swedish crime Academy Award for Best Crime Novel, Kjell Eriksson received wide critical acclaim for his U.S. debut, the international bestseller The Princess of Burundi. Now, this spectacular follow-up thriller opens with the abrupt disappearance of an elderly professor, followed quickly by the suspicious deaths of two more old men. Inspector Ann Lindell instinctively knows that she is tracking a most cunning serial killer, and as she closes in on the demented murderer, a diabolical death trap awaits.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:58 -0400)

35 year old Laura Hindersten goes to the police to report that her father, a local professor, is missing. Police inspector Ann Lindell and her colleagues can find no motive for the man's disappearance.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,419,832 books! | Top bar: Always visible