An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

An Abundance of Katherines (original 2006; edition 2008)

by John Green

Member:SylviaC
Title:An Abundance of Katherines
Authors:John Green
Info:New York : Speak (Penguin). Paperback.
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:good title, read 2013

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green (2006)

Looking for Alaska by John Green (mad.)
    mad.: this his john green's first book and although it has a completely different plot and characters it has the same style as an Abundance of Katherines
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (SheReads)
    The Boyfriend List by E. Lockhart (Runa)
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: Both are great stories using the metaphor of road-trip for self-discovery.
    Paper Towns by John Green (Morteana)
    The Last Samurai by Helen DeWitt (Katya0133)
    Katya0133: another book about a child prodigy, very different in style, but I enjoyed both
    In Watermelon Sugar by Richard Brautigan (Othemts)
    Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Though they're not your typical love stories, there's plenty of romance in these offbeat, witty realistic stories of recent high school graduates setting off on new adventures (a road trip, college) that help them discover themselves.
    Spanking Shakespeare by Jake Wizner (meggyweg)
    Infinity's Web by Sheila Finch (infiniteletters)
    Tripping by Heather Waldorf (wegc)
    wegc: A teenager spends the summer on a hiking trip, facing up to her past and meeting new people. Similar coming-of-age themes.
    Mindblind by Jennifer Roy (meggyweg)
    Notes From The Midnight Driver by Jordan Sonnenblick (Maiasaura)
    The Adventures of Blue Avenger by Norma Howe (suzanney)
    A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (Othemts)

English (320)  German (5)  Dutch (2)  Tagalog (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  All (330)
This is the second YA novel by acclaimed writer and youtuber John Green. Its a classic coming of age roadtrip story, that focuses on a quirky lovable main character. Next to The Fault in Our Stars, this is probably my favorite of Green's work.

Colin is a child prodigy, among other things a wiz at anagrams. He has just graduated from high school, and has just experienced being dumped by his 19th girlfriend, all who happened to be named Katherine. To drown his sorrows, he and his best friend go on a road trip. They stop in a weird little town that claims to have the grave of the Archduke Ferdinand. They stay in town for the summer, living with and working for the woman who owns the factory that is the main source of employment in town. While there, Colin continues with his savant-like obsession with anagrams and his search for a statistical formula to explain where his 19 Katherine relationships went wrong and how to predict future relationships.

Sure, not very esoteric stuff, but a fun, geeky read. One fun technical aspect of the book is that Green makes extensive use of footnotes to provide insight and snarky asides. Something I found interesting and fun in in a fiction book.

9/10

S: 1/26/17 - F:2/1/17 (7 Days) ( )
  mahsdad | Feb 22, 2017 |
At first, I must say, I just thought this book was good. Just good. But then I read more and more and it got better. And I realised that it is a fantastic book. The characters are amazing and likeable-except for The Other Colin, or TOC, though I doubt he was ever supposed to be very likeable. I love how John Green inserts all these footnotes; I feel like I learned something just by reading them, even the maths bits. (Though, let it be known that I opted out of reading the maths appendix in the back. Too much maths for me, especially during my summer vacation.)

I love this as I loved the other Green book I read, The Fault in Our Stars. However, unlike TFiOS, which I loved from the very first page, this one took me a while to get into, like REALLY into. That's the reason for the four stars as opposed to fifth. ( )
  kyndyleizabella | Jan 23, 2017 |
This is my least favorite John Green so far. of course, being my least favorite John Green is kind of like being the least beautiful tropical sunset. Still really good, it just didn't suck me in like the others. Then again, it also didn't rip my heart out like the others either. ( )
  hamm4d | Nov 24, 2016 |
This is by far my favorite John Green novel. Who doesn't love a road trip and math!? Collin has a type, and that type is Katherines. With his buddy in tow, he heads out on the road to find true love and prove his theory. ( )
  jenniferlbean | Nov 7, 2016 |
I listened to the audiobook which was read by Jeff Woodman. Jeff's narration saved this book because if I had read it, I would have been bored. Not John Green's best work. If you're new to John Green, don't start with this one. ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |

John Greenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bliss, DanielAppendixsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
“But the pleasure isn’t owning the person. The pleasure is this. Having another contender in the room with you.” —Philip Roth, The Human Stain
To my wife, Sarah Urist Green, anagrammatically:
Treasure-sharing,
Heart-reassuring
Signature Sharer
Easing rare hurts.
The morning after noted child prodigy Colin Singleton graduated from high school and got dumped for the nineteenth time by a girl named Katherine, he took a bath.
Colin had always preferred baths; one of his general policies in life was never to do anything standing up that could just as easily be done lying down.
—pg. 3
But mothers lie. It’s in the job description.
—pg. 4
Crying adds something: crying is you, plus tears. But the feeling Colin had was some horrible opposite of crying. It was you, minus something.
—pg. 7
Prodigies can very quickly learn what other people have already figured out; geniuses discover that which no one has ever previously discovered. Prodigies learn; geniuses do.
—pg. 10
“Hassan Harbish. Sunni Muslim. Not a terrorist.”
“Lindsey Lee Wells. Methodist. Me, neither.”
—pg. 32

When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton’s type is girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact. On a road trip miles from home, this anagram-happy, washed-up child prodigy has ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a bloodthirsty feral hog on his trail, and an overweight, Judge Judy–loving best friend riding shotgun—but no Katherines. Colin is on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which he hopes will predict the future of any relationship, avenge Dumpees everywhere, and finally win him the girl. Love, friendship, and a dead Austro-Hungarian archduke add up to surprising and heart-changing conclusions in this ingeniously layered comic novel about reinventing oneself.

A Michael L. Printz Honor Book
A Los Angeles Times Book Prize Finalist
An ALA BBYA
A Horn Book Fanfare Best Book of the Year
A Booklist Editors' Choice
A Kirkus Reviews Best Book of the Year

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:37 -0400)

Having been recently dumped for the nineteenth time by a girl named Katherine, recent high school graduate and former child prodigy Colin sets off on a road trip with his best friend to try to find some new direction in life while also trying to create a mathematical formula to explain his relationships.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,632,065 books! | Top bar: Always visible