An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

An Abundance of Katherines (edition 2008)

by John Green

Member:SylviaC
Title:An Abundance of Katherines
Authors:John Green
Info:New York : Speak (Penguin). Paperback.
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:good title, read 2013

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (SheReads)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (mad.)
    mad.: this his john green's first book and although it has a completely different plot and characters it has the same style as an Abundance of Katherines
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: Both are great stories using the metaphor of road-trip for self-discovery.
    The Last Samurai by Helen DeWitt (Katya0133)
    Katya0133: another book about a child prodigy, very different in style, but I enjoyed both
    The Boyfriend List by E. Lockhart (Runa)
    In Watermelon Sugar by Richard Brautigan (Othemts)
    Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Though they're not your typical love stories, there's plenty of romance in these offbeat, witty realistic stories of recent high school graduates setting off on new adventures (a road trip, college) that help them discover themselves.
    Tripping by Heather Waldorf (wegc)
    wegc: A teenager spends the summer on a hiking trip, facing up to her past and meeting new people. Similar coming-of-age themes.
    Paper Towns by John Green (Morteana)
    Notes From The Midnight Driver by Jordan Sonnenblick (Maiasaura)
    The Adventures of Blue Avenger by Norma Howe (suzanney)
    Infinity's Web by Sheila Finch (infiniteletters)
    Mindblind by Jennifer Roy (meggyweg)
    Spanking Shakespeare by Jake Wizner (meggyweg)
    A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (Othemts)

English (308)  German (4)  Dutch (2)  Tagalog (1)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (317)
This was my first experience reading John Green.

I made the mistake of reading some of the reviews here first. Perhaps the negative reviews were because they had read John Green before and his other books are better, which can only mean that I will be a very happy camper when I read those other books.

There were several laugh-out-loud instances in this book that made it a pleasure to read. While I initially succumbed to the negative reviews and thought Colin was just a whiny nerd, it just wasn't so as I went on. Yes, he had neurosis; what child prodigy wouldn't? But I think he adapted better.

A great deal happened in this book. It wasn't a simplistic narrative. People went from seemingly one-dimensional to multi. The seemingly nagging mother was a great manipulator who knew that her once good daughter could return to that, could be made to see that she made a difference in the lives of those around her. Insight, morality, a glimpse of human nature =

A good read. ( )
  SaschaD | Apr 28, 2016 |
This is one of the best YA books out there. Its fast paced, intelligent humor, and tenderness make this novel a winner. ( )
  Gerardo.Delgadillo | Mar 29, 2016 |
Not terrible, not fantastic. It's an early John Green book, so he had to develop over time, which is understandable. ( )
  ShayLRoss | Mar 16, 2016 |
Way better than either Looking for Alaska or Paper Towns purely by virtue of having characters that were more believable, relate-able, and, ultimately, real. Lindsey doesn't hit the MPDG hies of either Alaska or Margo, and is a much nicer and better character for it. Colin is a dick, but likeably so, and he's a good deal more self-aware than the "heroes" of either of those other books. And Hassan is... Hassan.

However, nowhere near The Fault in our Stars. The ending is a bit clunky, and there are some moments where the story just feels like disconnected parts. I dunno, though, I liked it a lot. ( )
  thebookmagpie | Mar 13, 2016 |
Although I love Math and anagramming but for me, this story is dragging or rather the pacing of the story. I learned a lot about figures tho. Lol ( )
  euniceangeli | Mar 3, 2016 |

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bliss, DanielAppendixsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"But the pleasure isn't owning the person. The pleasure is this. Having another contender in the room with you." -Philip Roth, The Human Stain
To my wife, Sarah Urist Green, anagrammatically: Her great Russian, Grin has treasure, A great risen rush, She is a rut-ranger; Anguish arrester; Sister; haranguer; Treasure-sharing, Heart-reassuring Signature Sharer Easing rare hurts.
The morning after noted child prodigy Colin Singleton graduated from high school and got dumped for the nineteenth time by a girl named Katherine, he took a bath.
You can love someone so much, he thought. But you can never love people as much as you miss them.
Books are the ultimate Dumpees: put them down and they'll wait for you forever; pay attention to them and they always love you back.
I don't think you can ever fill the empty space with the thing you lost. ... That's what I realized: if I did get her back somehow, she wouldn't fill the hole that losing her created.

When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton’s type is girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact. On a road trip miles from home, this anagram-happy, washed-up child prodigy has ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a bloodthirsty feral hog on his trail, and an overweight, Judge Judy–loving best friend riding shotgun—but no Katherines. Colin is on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which he hopes will predict the future of any relationship, avenge Dumpees everywhere, and finally win him the girl. Love, friendship, and a dead Austro-Hungarian archduke add up to surprising and heart-changing conclusions in this ingeniously layered comic novel about reinventing oneself.

A Michael L. Printz Honor Book
A Los Angeles Times Book Prize Finalist
An ALA BBYA
A Horn Book Fanfare Best Book of the Year
A Booklist Editors' Choice
A Kirkus Reviews Best Book of the Year

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:37 -0400)

Having been recently dumped for the nineteenth time by a girl named Katherine, recent high school graduate and former child prodigy Colin sets off on a road trip with his best friend to try to find some new direction in life while also trying to create a mathematical formula to explain his relationships.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,028 books! | Top bar: Always visible