An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

An Abundance of Katherines (edition 2008)

by John Green

Member:SylviaC
Title:An Abundance of Katherines
Authors:John Green
Info:New York : Speak (Penguin). Paperback.
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:good title, read 2013

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

Looking for Alaska by John Green (mad.)
    mad.: this his john green's first book and although it has a completely different plot and characters it has the same style as an Abundance of Katherines
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (SheReads)
    The Boyfriend List by E. Lockhart (Runa)
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: Both are great stories using the metaphor of road-trip for self-discovery.
    The Last Samurai by Helen DeWitt (Katya0133)
    Katya0133: another book about a child prodigy, very different in style, but I enjoyed both
    Tripping by Heather Waldorf (wegc)
    wegc: A teenager spends the summer on a hiking trip, facing up to her past and meeting new people. Similar coming-of-age themes.
    In Watermelon Sugar by Richard Brautigan (Othemts)
    Notes From The Midnight Driver by Jordan Sonnenblick (Maiasaura)
    Mindblind by Jennifer Roy (meggyweg)
    The Adventures of Blue Avenger by Norma Howe (suzanney)
    Spanking Shakespeare by Jake Wizner (meggyweg)
    Infinity's Web by Sheila Finch (infiniteletters)
    A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (Othemts)

English (273)  German (4)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Tagalog (1)  All languages (282)
A book where you find the importance of all the things that can not be fully appreciated by the intellect granted to only a few gifted as we might call them, and how they find the actual value of such emotions and thoughts. ( )
  durgaprsd04 | Feb 25, 2015 |
The Abundance of Katherine's follows Colin as he embarks on a road trip after being dumped for the 19th time by a Katherine. He tried to uncover the theorem of relationships by incorporating factors such as dumper and dumpee, and finds himself holed up in the town of Gutshot.

I really enjoyed this book. The characters are funny and each are easily recognisable, and have their own backgrounds and storylines that are woven throughout the novel. It has a feel-good factor that, despite the occasional maths, leaves you feeling warm hearted by the time you reach the end. Well worth the read. ( )
  RosieNReads | Feb 2, 2015 |
I love John Green's writing voice, but I'll admit that there were sections of this novel that dragged for me.

Colin, a teenage prodigy, was just dumped by Katherine number 19 and he takes it rather badly. To get him past the moping stage, his best friend Hassan agrees to go on a road trip. Their road trip ends less than 24 hours away when they end up working to record oral histories about the small town of Gutshot, TN. This is also where the book began to lull for me. As the days in the story started to stretch on, and both Colin and Hassan were still wandering around Gutshot, I started getting antsy. This, in large part, might be because I could clearly see where Green was planning on going with all the characters. So, the climax and revelations at the end of the book pretty much left me just nodding my head and saying "yup, knew that was coming."

However, despite all that, I still enjoyed the book and I'm betting if I had read this as a teenager I would've appreciated it a lot more. As it is, this was a nice light read and I'll probably pick-up another of Green's books in the near future.
  Book_Minx | Jan 24, 2015 |
What an amusing story, another funny and clever book by John Green. Great characters and weird details that really made me laugh. This one proved that John Green is now among my favorites! ( )
  Iira | Jan 18, 2015 |
This was actually the first John Green book I read. I sped through it during a cruise I took with my family; partly because I couldn't put it down, and partly because the weather on that particular cruise was horrible and it was either read or walk around the ship bored out of my mind. Of course, I chose read. And I'm glad I did, as an intro to John's writing style, I feel this is a good one. It's got a serious level of humor, there are big decisions and relationship talk going on, but I think this is one of only a few of his books that doesn't end in downright tragedy.

I either suggest this or Alaska to people just starting to read John Green. It will always be one of my favorites. I just finished my third full re-read because of reasons (that will hopefully become apparent at a later date). ( )
  regularguy5mb | Dec 29, 2014 |

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bliss, DanielAppendixsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"But the pleasure isn't owning the person. The pleasure is this. Having another contender in the room with you." -Philip Roth, The Human Stain
To my wife, Sarah Urist Green, anagrammatically: Her great Russian, Grin has treasure, A great risen rush, She is a rut-ranger; Anguish arrester; Sister; haranguer; Treasure-sharing, Heart-reassuring Signature Sharer Easing rare hurts.
The morning after noted child prodigy Colin Singleton graduated from high school and got dumped for the nineteenth time by a girl named Katherine, he took a bath.
You can love someone so much, he thought. But you can never love people as much as you miss them.
Books are the ultimate Dumpees: put them down and they'll wait for you forever; pay attention to them and they always love you back.
I don't think you can ever fill the empty space with the thing you lost. ... That's what I realized: if I did get her back somehow, she wouldn't fill the hole that losing her created.

When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton’s type happens to be girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact. He’s also a washed up child prodigy with ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a passion for anagrams, and an overweight, Judge Judy-obsessed best friend. Colin’s on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which will predict the future of all relationships, transform him from a fading prodigy into a true genius, and finally win him the girl.

Letting expectations go and allowing love in are at the heart of Colin’s hilarious quest to find his missing piece and avenge dumpees everywhere.

When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton’s type is girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact. On a road trip miles from home, this anagram-happy, washed-up child prodigy has ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a bloodthirsty feral hog on his trail, and an overweight, Judge Judy–loving best friend riding shotgun—but no Katherines. Colin is on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which he hopes will predict the future of any relationship, avenge Dumpees everywhere, and finally win him the girl. Love, friendship, and a dead Austro-Hungarian archduke add up to surprising and heart-changing conclusions in this ingeniously layered comic novel about reinventing oneself.

A Michael L. Printz Honor Book
A Los Angeles Times Book Prize Finalist
An ALA BBYA
A Horn Book Fanfare Best Book of the Year
A Booklist Editors' Choice
A Kirkus Reviews Best Book of the Year

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:45 -0400)

Having been recently dumped for the nineteenth time by a girl named Katherine, recent high school graduate and former child prodigy Colin sets off on a road trip with his best friend to try to find some new direction in life while also trying to create a mathematical formula to explain his relationships.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,710,625 books! | Top bar: Always visible