An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

An Abundance of Katherines (original 2006; edition 2008)

by John Green

5,153None864 (4.01)270
Member:SylviaC
Title:An Abundance of Katherines
Authors:John Green
Info:New York : Speak (Penguin). Paperback.
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:good title, read 2013

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green (2006)

anagrams (91) boys (36) breakups (31) Chicago (31) child prodigy (41) coming of age (84) dating (70) fiction (359) friendship (133) genius (34) humor (131) John Green (34) love (70) mathematics (202) own (26) Printz Honor (66) prodigy (61) read (62) realistic fiction (81) relationships (130) road trip (199) romance (114) signed (36) teen (105) teen fiction (30) Tennessee (57) to-read (82) YA (305) young adult (335) young adult fiction (74)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (mad.)
    mad.: this his john green's first book and although it has a completely different plot and characters it has the same style as an Abundance of Katherines
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (SheReads)
    The Boyfriend List by E. Lockhart (Runa)
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: Both are great stories using the metaphor of road-trip for self-discovery.
    The Last Samurai by Helen DeWitt (Katya0133)
    Katya0133: another book about a child prodigy, very different in style, but I enjoyed both
    Tripping by Heather Waldorf (wegc)
    wegc: A teenager spends the summer on a hiking trip, facing up to her past and meeting new people. Similar coming-of-age themes.
    In Watermelon Sugar by Richard Brautigan (Othemts)
    A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (Othemts)
    Notes From The Midnight Driver by Jordan Sonnenblick (Maiasaura)
    Mindblind by Jennifer Roy (meggyweg)
    The Adventures of Blue Avenger by Norma Howe (suzanney)
    Spanking Shakespeare by Jake Wizner (meggyweg)
    Infinity's Web by Sheila Finch (infiniteletters)

English (254)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  Tagalog (1)  All languages (259)
not a very good storyline
it is quite lengthy
good for light reading
  Amiksha | Mar 24, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this book, even though I found it a little slow going to begin with, the second half of this book was so good that it made up for the slower start.
I really liked the characters, and especially how they all interacted with one another.
I did feel like the ending was a little rushed, which I was disappointed about, as I felt it still left a few questions unanswered, which I would have liked to have seen answers to.
However, overall this, as all of John Green's books seem to be, was an incredibly funny, original and interesting read, and although it's not his best, it's still a great book, packed with humorous moments that made me laugh out loud. ( )
  bookish92 | Mar 20, 2014 |
John Green floored me with "Looking for Alaska". It has been years since I read a book like that -- a book where I wanted to be in that universe, where I felt like I was the main character, where I went through the same emotions. An Abundance of Katherines is... not so flooring. It's missing something. I think the characters and plot seem too implausible -- wacky, but not realistically wacky.

The main character is a snobby child prodigy who can anagram anything. Despite his feelings of alienation and being all up in his head (because he's gotten dumped for the nineteenth time), he still constantly shows off. The thematic thread through the story is that he's working on a math equation to predict who will be dumped in a relationship -- an objective formula based on subjective variables(?). Also he keeps dating only girls named Katherine (not Catherine or Kathryn). I've never even met nineteen girls with the same name.

His best friend is a fat, quick-witted Muslim named Hassan who seems to have a thing for Judge Judy. Ladies and gentleman, this character doesn't exist. It gets even more implausible when Hassan convinces the mopey main character to take a road trip. They're both eighteen, freshly graduated, and decide to go down to bumpkin-ville, where they then take up residence in some stranger's house who offered them a busywork job on the spot going to other strangers' houses and collecting oral histories. Maybe it's my conservative, safety-conscious Midwestern upbringing, but RED FLAG! RED FLAG!

It seems like John Green decided to turn 180 with his writing style on this one. No more melodramatic high school. Now it's fast times, introspection, and loads of obnoxious footnotes. This one seems highly skippable. ( )
1 vote theWallflower | Mar 14, 2014 |
Just a darling book. It made me laugh out loud, and that is something. ( )
  SparklePonies | Mar 12, 2014 |
It's 3:06 a.m. I have just finished this lovely nerdy funny book of John Green's. I liked it more that 'the fault in our stars' actually. i am looking forward to reading 'paper towns' and 'looking for Alaska'. it was a wonderful journey with Colin, Hassan, and Lindsey. And now, I will try catching some sleep :) ( )
  pathogenik | Mar 2, 2014 |

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bliss, DanielAppendixsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"But the pleasure isn't owning the person. The pleasure is this. Having another contender in the room with you." -Philip Roth, The Human Stain
To my wife, Sarah Urist Green, anagrammatically: Her great Russian, Grin has treasure, A great risen rush, She is a rut-ranger; Anguish arrester; Sister; haranguer; Treasure-sharing, Heart-reassuring Signature Sharer Easing rare hurts.
The morning after noted child prodigy Colin Singleton graduated from high school and got dumped for the nineteenth time by a girl named Katherine, he took a bath.
You can love someone so much, he thought. But you can never love people as much as you miss them.
Books are the ultimate Dumpees: put them down and they'll wait for you forever; pay attention to them and they always love you back.
I don't think you can ever fill the empty space with the thing you lost. ... That's what I realized: if I did get her back somehow, she wouldn't fill the hole that losing her created.

When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton’s type happens to be girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact. He’s also a washed up child prodigy with ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a passion for anagrams, and an overweight, Judge Judy-obsessed best friend. Colin’s on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which will predict the future of all relationships, transform him from a fading prodigy into a true genius, and finally win him the girl.

Letting expectations go and allowing love in are at the heart of Colin’s hilarious quest to find his missing piece and avenge dumpees everywhere.

When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton’s type is girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact. On a road trip miles from home, this anagram-happy, washed-up child prodigy has ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a bloodthirsty feral hog on his trail, and an overweight, Judge Judy–loving best friend riding shotgun—but no Katherines. Colin is on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which he hopes will predict the future of any relationship, avenge Dumpees everywhere, and finally win him the girl. Love, friendship, and a dead Austro-Hungarian archduke add up to surprising and heart-changing conclusions in this ingeniously layered comic novel about reinventing oneself.

A Michael L. Printz Honor Book
A Los Angeles Times Book Prize Finalist
An ALA BBYA
A Horn Book Fanfare Best Book of the Year
A Booklist Editors' Choice
A Kirkus Reviews Best Book of the Year

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:45 -0400)

Having been recently dumped for the nineteenth time by a girl named Katherine, recent high school graduate and former child prodigy Colin sets off on a road trip with his best friend to try to find some new direction in life while also trying to create a mathematical formula to explain his relationships.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,480,628 books! | Top bar: Always visible